Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Finishing Off The Complete Roster Hack

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Shell
I have something for you for Gogo's menu.

A few months ago, Myself086 made some patches for Beyond Chaos, one of which is making Gogo's menu scroll to show more commands. Unfortunately, I don't have the individual patches, just one of all of them rolled together, and I haven't fully sorted them out. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k7rgnlp9bb...s.zip/file

I can tell you that the changes at c35ead, c35e91, c363ba, c322a3, c3640c are the ones related to the status menu changes. They all jump to some code in the expanded portion of the rom that I haven't gotten around to figuring out.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Subtraction for this post:
  • PowerPanda (07-22-2018)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
... Ooooooooh. Think there's any chance he'd share the assembly for those? I mean, I can reverse engineer/disassemble this, but working from the assembly code would make it so much easier. Wink A scrolling menu for Gogo's status/command menu is something I've been looking at digging into for a while now, and this could save me loads of time.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Just as an update to this:

* The backbone of this is Hatzen's Full Roster hack. His latest release is v.10. This hack adds the ability to select characters $0E/$0F on the party select screen, gives Profiles $0E/$0F the ability to equip in and out of battle, and moves the "Merit Award" and "Active While Imp" flags to unused equipment property bits, freeing up those flags for characters equipment. I have made the following edits to it:
- The event bits that add Characters $0E and $0F have been updated to 0FE and 0FF
- All characters are able to participate in the final battle.
- I have cut out the Shop Screen re-draw portion of Hatzen's Full Roster hack and separated it out into a separate, optional ASM. For now, the main hack simply won't show the other two characters on the shop screen.
- I have created a supplemental IPS that moves the Merit Award and Imp flag to their new property bits and removes all weapon/armor flags for 0E/0F. However, I have given 0E/0F the ability to equip all of the "general" relics.
*Another important piece of this is an ASM hack from Madsuir that allows the names of characters $0E/$0F to be pulled into dialogue. I have expanded this ASM to also allow all profiles to get a naming screen and use the Rename Card.
* B-Run's MMMMMagic patch is the third piece of the puzzle, and the one that I haven't finished yet. Here is what I am working on .
- I am looking to see if I can relocate enough code to use this hack without expanding the ROM.
- MMMMMagic doesn't take Desperation Attacks into account. I am working on a D.A. hack that lets all characters share 2 desperation attacks.
* I have finished off my sprite expansion hack that allows all current guest characters to have Chocobo/Magitek riding sprites, and also corrects a few graphical glitches in the base rom.

In addition to ASM work, there is a great deal of Event Work that needs to be done that I am working on. Here is a progress list.
* I have fully moved Banon to Profile $22 and Leo to Profile $23, updating the "Banon Fell" flag and the animations on the Ultros Raft battle cutscene & the Leo vs. Kefka battle cutscene accordingly. As a personal touch, I also updated Mog from the "Choose a Scenario, Kupo" screen to write to character slot $0A rather than character slot $0D, because for me, that actually screwed up my hack.
* I am working on a standalone hack that removes the party split-up from Cyan's Nightmare. This is necessary because the 3 stooges map is maxed out on NPCs, and cannot handle 4 more. As a plus, this gives me plenty of room to expand subroutines as necessary.
* I have identified the subroutines that need expansion. I need to wait until I finish the Cyan's Dream hack before I can start work on them though.
* I will also be pre-building the events to add characters $0E and $0F to your team. That way, hackers can just call the subroutine to add them to their party.

With the event out of the way, pretty much the only thing left until an initial release will be to figure out Gogo's subscreen, which GrayShadows is working on right now. After that, it'll be up to anyone who wants to tackle the OAM expansion. All in all, I think it's a safe estimate to say we'll probably have a beta out by September.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (07-23-2018), NPCnextdoor (07-23-2018)

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
An idea that I've had regarding the shop screen is to simply have Umaro unable to change equipment whatsoever, and to simply make it so Gogo can equip anything, and have the shop screen show the two new characters instead of those two. I feel like Gogo being able to equip anything fits him... her... it perfectly, but I understand that maybe not everyone would know how to balance that properly.

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find

Status
None
(07-24-2018, 11:55 AM)Scorcher Wrote: An idea that I've had regarding the shop screen is to simply have Umaro unable to change equipment whatsoever, and to simply make it so Gogo can equip anything, and have the shop screen show the two new characters instead of those two. I feel like Gogo being able to equip anything fits him... her... it perfectly, but I understand that maybe not everyone would know how to balance that properly.

This is more or less what I did in Definitive Edition. Kappa can only equip the Imp Armor and the Genji Armor, and Umaro can only equip a handful of things, none of which can be purchased in shops anyway. I actually moved Umaro over to Profile $0F and swapped his spritesheet with Leo's to get the desired result.

The issue with OAM is that it doesn't reference the SRAM to determine which character it should display in the shop screen. It literally just looks to the sprite sheet. You could load whatever sprite you want into character $00 (Terra), but the shop would always display spritesheet $00, which is Terra. That's why it is, to put it lightly, the pit that the Full Roster Hack died in back in 2016. First, nobody ever figured out how to successfully load 16 characters into the shop. When they did, the characters loaded in were sprite sheets 15 and 16, the Soldier and the Imp. There was talk of a hack synchronizing it with what was in SRAM, but then we needed to figure out how to get the character stats loaded in too. It was a mess. Hatzen finally just eliminated the shop screen altogether and replaced it with the "who can equip?" screen from the item menu. It's a decent workaround, but not a good long-term fix.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 12
Status
Brave
I'm curious as to why you decided to keep desperation attacks at all instead of just letting then die all together. I think the charm of desperation attacks wass discovering them. Desperation attacks serve as an easter egg that disrupt the game's already laughable difficulty balance.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
IMO I agree, having them all nixed instead of the same one for everybody seems 'better', unless that one is something unique in itself that can change depending on certain factors. But yeah keeping one around just to save the whole desperation attack feature instantly looses everything that makes them fun an unique like Timbo said.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
OMG! FFVI is UNBALANCED?! Say it ain't so! Laugh

Anyway, SOMETHING needs to be done with Desperation Attacks. Right now, that's kind of overlooked in MMMMMagic. The way it's set up, Terra could end up casting a healing spell on the enemy. I have 2 unused attack slots right now (plus the 3 enemy attacks that remain unused), so I'm testing the waters to see if I can do something interesting with it. The way I see it, with a 1/16th chance of doing a D.A. when you are at 1/8th HP, and the limitation of doing it once per battle, it's kind of harmless to leave it in. It only helps the bad players. Anyway Gi, I am hoping to have the DA "level up" based on how many characters are alive/deceased. There's a thread on it in this forum. That gives it some personality.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Shell
(07-23-2018, 05:04 PM)GrayShadows Wrote: ... Ooooooooh. Think there's any chance he'd share the assembly for those? I mean, I can reverse engineer/disassemble this, but working from the assembly code would make it so much easier. Wink A scrolling menu for Gogo's status/command menu is something I've been looking at digging into for a while now, and this could save me loads of time.

I dunno. He hasn't been active in the BC discord lately, but you could try.
  Find

Status
None
As you've probably seen over on the patches and bugfixes forum, I released the patch "Cyan's Uneventful Dream", which fixes the issue with there not being enough NPC slots in Cyan's dream, and also frees up 1600 bytes in bank CB. With the extra event space, I took to expanding the subroutines. I finished that off today with the 3.5 subroutines that needed editing.

1. Check # of Characters In the Current Party (CA/C5C1)
There are a ton of branches off of this subroutine. I was able to move the first 2 branches ($16 bytes total) to the new free space and expand the main chunk of the routine by the requisite $10 bytes to check slots $0E and $0F

2. Check for which characters should appear as NPCs on the Falcon (CA/E90B)
There are 3 steps to this subroutine, which runs as the auto-event for the top deck of the Falcon. First, it toggles off all of the event bits that control the character NPCs in the main room. Then, it checks characters you have recruited and toggles the bits back on. Finally, it checks characters in your current party and toggles those 4 bits off. I moved the 3rd step to bank CB, and used the remaining space to expand steps 1 and 2. Two notes: First, characters $0E/$0F were assigned NPC event bits 524/525, two of the bits cleared up by "Cyan's Uneventful Dream". Second, this has left $5C bytes of free data that can be added to this subroutine, which should leave aspiring hackers plenty of room to toggle additional event bits or NPCs on the Falcon.

3a. Unequip All Characters (New Location: CB/853B)
This entire branch of the unequip options was moved to the new free space. It has been expanded to include characters $0D, $0E, and $0F. If I release an optional subpatch that moves Umaro to profile $0F, I'll dummy out the $0F portion. This routine was optimized to only take $6 bytes more than the original.

3b. Unequip Those Not In Your Party (New Location: CC/351E)
I relocated "unequip all characters" so I would have room to expand this lengthier routine in place. It required a full $30 extra bytes to add in characters $0D, $0E, and $0F. There are $4F bytes of free space following this expanded routine.

I did not touch the following subroutines:
* The Inn Subroutine
* NPCs on the Blackjack
* Unequipping and Unenlisting characters during the destruction of the world
The Inn did not need editing, as it targets party character 0-3, rather than actor slots. For the Blackjack and the world destruction scene, the current setup of this hack does not allow for adding characters $0E/$0F prior to the World of Ruin, so they did not need to be edited.

As one final note, I've started looking into the shop OAM. I think I've figured out how to expand the pointers for sprite animation, so that you would get a fully-animated soldier and imp in slots $0E/$0F. If I can get that working, I'll look into combining that with a small portion of m06's unfinished "sprite expansion" project that APPEARS to load shop sprites IDs from SRAM rather than from absolute IDs. That's next on my list at least. Let's hope it works.

Projects:
  Find