Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Request: Monster damage in back row only reduced by 25% instead of 50%

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Ok, so I hope this is a really simple request - but I was wondering if someone could whip me up a patch that makes it so that damage received by the monsters in the back row is only reduced by 25% instead of 50%.

In my mod, physical attacks by monsters are much more menacing. However, in doing so, it made me realize that I now almost NEVER put players in the front row, because it would be suicide (getting killed too fast by powerful monsters).  This kind of takes the fun out of using Genji Gloves, Offering, and other weapons made for the front row  - especially with Leo who is mostly a front row fighter in my mod.  In order to not make the Fight command utterly useless, I think reducing the amount of protection in the back row and then reducing the damage dished out by monsters is the optimal solution.  Especially since there is already items and armor that grant high defense and safe later in the game.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
You can try this, to be assembled with xkas with a unheadered ROM. I have not tested the code though. You also might have to change the org $C26469 because that free space might be taken by patches already applied. I also don't know if that code is compatible with the 1.1 ROM, if problem check if the $C2339D region is same as 1.0.

To assemble:
Code:
xkas filename.asm romname.smc

Code:
hirom

org $C2339D
jsr free_space
sep #$20       ; 8-bit acc
nop

org $C26469
free_space:
rep #$20       ; 16-bit acc
lda $11B0      ; load damage
lsr a          ; divide by 2
sta $10        ; save in temp RAM
lda $11B0      ; load damage
sec              
sbc $10        ; damage - 25%
sta $11B0      ; save as damage
rts

Edit: I had forgot to add the "hirom" at top of ASM file.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the reply, Madsiur. I tried applying this hack to a vanilla 1.0 FF3 ROM (since it would not work on my own mod), but I don't see any difference with my testing. I basically set up a scenario where a particular monster does 50 damage to characters in the back row without your hack applied. With your hack applied, the monster still does 50 damage, so there was no change. Any ideas?

Oh, and I did add hirom to the code. Smile
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Yeah, I first edited the code where the attacker is in back row, i.e. when a character attack.. Now I edited the right code and it work, a monster attack previously doing 34 damage in back row now does about 52 damages.

Code:
hirom

org $C20D11
jsr free_space
nop

org $C26469
free_space:
rep #$20       ; 16-bit acc
lda $F0        ; load damage
sta $10        ; save in temp RAM
lda $F0        ; load damage
sec              
sbc $10        ; damage - 25%
sta $F0        ; save as damage
sep #$20       ; 8-bit acc
rts
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Lightning (09-16-2018)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I'm assuming that the title should read "3/4 damage taken instead of 1/2" or "reduce damage by 1/4 instead of 1/2"? At first I read the title and wondered why anybody would consider making the back row even more powerful. Tongue

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
That second block of code seems to work great so far, Madsiur. Thanks!

And yeah, I should rename the thread title; it is confusing. What I really meant was, "Make back row only reduce monster damage by 25% instead of 50%"

For fun, here is a screenshot comparing damage outputs by a new monster for my mod before and after this hack:
[Image: hyBVQqI.jpg]

In the second block of the formula, you can see that I reduced the bat. power of this monster so the back row damage is the same with Madsiur's back row damage hack - yet the front row damage is reduced. That was the goal of this patch, so the player has more incentive to place a warrior like Leo in the front row with a Genji glove and Offering - yet the physical damage dished out by monsters is the same in the back row.

I think I'll create a new thread with this excel formula in case someone else wants to use it (I have used it thousands of times). It will auto-calculate the front row damage and back row damage based on the monsters level and bat. power and an average defense.
  Find