Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Enemy Encounter Crashes Game

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Afterglow
I was working on replacing sprites using FF3SE-2.11 with my friend.  He had some silly sprites he wanted to replace the statue monsters (Doom,Poltergeist,Goddess)

The problem being there wasn't enough data space to put them in and I didn't know how to allocate monster data, so my friend was using that eraser tool on the program to remove various pixels from every monster in the game to accommodate for this, managing to make it fit with 24 bytes to spare.

When I was playing the rom to check out stuff I had worked on, I ran into an encounter on the Phantom Train, the Overmind, and this happened:

It ended up freezing the game up on me.  I DO have an older version where it's not broken, but I was curious on what could have caused this to have happened.  The Overmind was one of many sprites edited down to make space for the new Statue Bosses, though I'm not sure why this guy specifically broke. Shrug
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
i can tell u why, he probably remove pixels from the top or left of the sprite, usually u want the sprte fitting into the top left corner, if it was edited down

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Afterglow
(05-02-2018, 09:31 PM)JWhiteLXXXIX Wrote: i can tell u why, he probably remove pixels from the top or left of the sprite, usually u want the sprte fitting into the top left corner, if it was edited down

Now that I think about it, yes, he got rid of the smoke, which was on the top, so cropping him into a 48x64 did fix that.  It's funny how something like alignment would corrupt the game.  Thank you for your help on this, it really is the little things I have to watch out for. Cover
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I think somehow the game does not like a full row or column of empty tiles in a monster sprite, that would be a mold limitation. Maybe the empty row or column cause a more serious bug with FF3SE, I'm not sure which of the two is the culprit. There's no reason to have this setup anyway.
  Find

Status
Afterglow
(05-03-2018, 12:29 AM)madsiur Wrote: I think somehow the game does not like a full row or column of empty tiles in a monster sprite, that would be a mold limitation. Maybe the empty row or column cause a more serious bug with FF3SE, I'm not sure which of the two is the culprit. There's no reason to have this setup anyway.

I'm fairly sure it was FF3SE.  The only time I've seen this happen with a mold is when I tried two large sprites with a mold 6, which can't support that, and Overmind was in the same mold it's always been.  We wanted a little more sprite space, so some sprites were trimmed down to make room.  I'll just have to remember to align the sprites in the upper left corner for the future.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(05-03-2018, 09:43 AM)Mutteo Wrote: The only time I've seen this happen with a mold is when I tried two large sprites with a mold 6, which can't support that, and Overmind was in the same mold it's always been.

Yeah I was referring to the GFX mold aka monster composition data, the 8 bytes for a 64x64 monster that gives the shape to the graphics. Space is omitted and created by the bits values.
  Find

Status
Afterglow
(05-03-2018, 02:03 PM)madsiur Wrote: Yeah I was referring to the GFX mold aka monster composition data, the 8 bytes for a 64x64 monster that gives the shape to the graphics. Space is omitted and created by the bits values.
I just figured as long as it was contained inside of the mold it was okay.  I guess it's just one of those things I don't fully understand in terms of its rules, just to remember what I can do to make sure they function properly.  It's a learning experience.
  Find