Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Squaresoft BRR Database

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
[Image: fetch.php?media=ff3:ff3us:music:brrsampl...banner.png]

This BRR database aim to include all Squaresoft BRR samples released in SNES and Satellaview games while having Final Fantasy 6 import option in mind. This is why ADSR Data, Looping Point Data and *hopefully* compatible Pitch Multiplicator Data is included. All sample were ripped directly from ROMs and not with SPC files. For more details on BRR samples and on each game, you can check this wiki page. There is also an Lazy Sound Patch Compilation that import in a lazy way instruments from each game and an offset thread, reflecting the wiki info regarding ROM locations.

Legend:

nolength package: BRR Samples with no sample length as first two bytes. Pitch, loop and ADSR data are in a text file.
regular package: BRR Samples with first two bytes as sample length. Pitch, loop and ADSR data are in a text file.
detail package: BRR Samples with first two bytes as sample length. Each sample has it own folder with data in bin files.
wav package: BRR Samples converted to WAV files.
all package: The above 4 packages for one game.
"All Games" row: Any of the first 4 package above for all games or all package of all games listed as "everything" (around 19MB).

Game regular nolength detail wav all
 Bahamut Lagoon (60 samples) bl-regular bl-nolength bl-detail bl-wav bl-all
 Chrono Trigger (62 samples) ct-regular ct-nolength ct-detail ct-wav ct-all
 Dynami Tracer (51 samples) dt-regular dt-nolength dt-detail dt-wav dt-all
 Final Fantasy 4 (22 samples) ff4-regular ff4-nolength ff4-detail ff4-wav ff4-all
 Final Fantasy 5 (35 samples) ff5-regular ff5-nolength ff5-detail ff5-wav ff5-all
 Final Fantasy 6 (63 samples) ff6-regular ff6-nolength ff6-detail ff6-wav ff6-all
 Front Mission (94 samples) fm-regular fm-nolength fm-detail fm-wav fm-all
 Front Mission - Gun Hazard (69 samples) gh-regular gh-nolength gh-detail gh-wav gh-all
 Hanjuku Hero (32 samples) hh-regular hh-nolength hh-detail hh-wav hh-all
 Koi ha Balance (25 samples) khb-regular khb-nolength khb-detail khb-wav khb-all
 Live a Live (75 samples) lal-regular lal-nolength lal-detail lal-wav lal-all
 Mystic Quest (18 samples) mq-regular mq-nolength mq-detail mq-wav mq-all
 Radical Dreamers (42 samples) bl-regular bl-nolength bl-detail bl-wav bl-all
 Romancing Saga (28 samples) rs1-regular rs1-nolength rs1-detail rs1-wav rs1-all
 Romancing Saga 2 (44 samples) rs2-regular rs2-nolength rs2-detail rs2-wav rs2-all
 Romancing Saga 3 (82 samples) rs3-regular rs3-nolength rs3-detail rs3-wav rs3-all
 Secret of Mana (33 samples) som-regular som-nolength som-detail som-wav som-all
 Seiken Densetsu 3 (52 samples) sd3-regular sd3-nolength sd3-detail sd3-wav sd3-all
 Super Mario RPG (116 samples) smrpg-regular smrpg-nolength smrpg-detail smrpg-wav smrpg-all
 Treasure Conflix (24 samples) tc-regular tc-nolength tc-detail tc-wav tc-all
 Treasure of the Rudras (66 samples) totr-regular totr-nolength totr-detail totr-wav totr-all
 All Games all-regular all-nolength all-detail all-wav everything
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (03-10-2018), JCE3000GT (03-07-2018), JWhiteLXXXIX (03-17-2018)

Status
Tissue-aware
I corrected an error with all "no-length" packages. Turn out I was trimming 1 byte at the end of the sample making it unreadable in a brr player. @"Gi Nattak" also kindly labeled the Romancing Saga 2 and Secret of Mana samples with the help of @JCE3000GT instrument change program so those changes are reflected in the zip files but not on the wiki instrument names lists yet.
  Find

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
In honor of this momentous occasion and being the grandfather of Square audio hacking I present, some lost files.  I started work with hacking the Square SPC core in 2004 and BRRs around 2005.  

Zipped up for your consumption are some little nuggets, I did add ID tags later on that altered the original dates  :(, but, here's a couple of my very first successful tests.  These are direct imports without any tuning for the correct pitch/octave (more noticeable with the MQ distortion guitar).  I'll be putting up some of my early work as a sort of tribute to how far this has come in another thread--or on youtube some of which were just tests while coding my SPC Editor--a few actually sounded amazing.  So amazing others used them in their hacks.  I feel proud.  :)

FF3us BRR Test with RS3 samples
FF3us BRR test with MQ distortion guitar (first test, pitch not corrected)

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JCE3000GT for this post:
  • madsiur (03-07-2018)

Status
Tissue-aware
Those RS3 samples sound ok in FF6 even without pitch correction and ADSR data.. and the guitar solo on Terra's theme is kinda epic.

The SPC Hard Core Slick subforum was very helpful. Squaresoft Japan had the habit to put all the data in the same spot between banks $02 and $07 most of time so as soon as I had SPC pointers or BRR pointers the rest was found in 15min or less.. Thanks to your work there were only a handful of game where I was starting from nothing : )

I've done yesterday Treasure Conflix and Live a Live, the only missing games now are Romancing Saga, Secret of Evermore and DynamiTracker. I have look at RS and found SPC and BRR pointers and what I think is ADSR data. It's similar to FF4 with relative pointers, I know RS use 2nd revision of the SPC core so other data might be like in FF4 and different format from Revision 3 and above. SoE will likely take more time so I'll tackle it last.

I'll post all my findings over at Slick once all games are done.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I've added Front Mission: Gundam Hazard, Live a Live, Treasure Conflix, Romancing Saga and Secret of Mana (that was missing from this thread but available on wiki). I'm also including from now an "wav" and "all" package for each game, "wav package" being samples converted to WAV files and "all package" being all packages of a single game. Finally you can also download every of the 4 kind of package for all games or just every packages from every game listed as "everything" (about 16MB).

Gi Nattak has also labeled Hanjuku Hero, Radical Dreamers and Treasure of the Rudras samples so I have modifed those game packages as well. I will update the wiki section, Lazy Sound Patch Compilation and offset thread progressively with the new changes.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Three new games have been added: Dynami Tracer (51 samples), Front Mission (94 samples) and Koi ha Balance (25 samples). In addition @"Gi Nattak" kindly labeled the instruments from Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Romancing Saga, Super Mario RPG and Treasure Conflix.

There has been minor labeling correction regarding spelling and format but not on the type sound on following games: Chrono Trigger, FF6, Hanjuku Hero, Radical Dreamers, RS2 and RS3. Also ADSR and pitch data of SMRPG and Bahamut Lagoon have been inverted to fit the FF6 standard. I had a quick look and it seems it's only those two games that have this data inverted but for pitch data it is sometimes hard to tell so I can't exclude another game is like this maybe partially.

I've look at all games published and developed by Squaresoft on Satellaview and SNES and completed those that were "easy to do". What is left is: Alcahest, Breath of Fire, Secret of Evermore and Treasure Hunter G. I've done some progress on three of those four but next update should take longer than time between previous ones. On a side note Bahamut Laggon has a second significant batch of BRR samples, instruments too. However I have not found pointers or instrument data. Romancing Saga is a bit similar, to the exception it has 3-4 loose instruments before the main batch.. once again no pointer found there.

As for the instrument labeling of current available games, Dynami Tracer, Front Mission, Front Mission - Gun Hazard, Koi ha Balance and Seiken Densetsu 3 are still unlabeled. There are still also a few "unknown" instruments in game like SMRPG and RS3. Some are weird sound and are difficult to hear properly with just the BRR data.

The Lazy sound Patch Compilation has been updated and wiki will be updated soon or in the next days..
  Find