Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Shadow to Clyde Arrowny in end credits

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
(12-30-2017, 12:42 AM)CzarMalboro Wrote: Was it confirmed that Relm's last name came from her father and not her mother?

Normally in Japan the children of unmarried couples end up with the mother's name. There is also a HUGE social stigma in Japan for women who have children unwed (hence the cultural assumption that mothers are going to be wed, at least in some manner).

We know that Relm's mother lived in the same house Strago and Clyde did (though yes, there being no 'empty houses' is more due to hardware limitations of the time, and there is only one NPC spreading rumors that Relm and Strago aren't directly related, but the fact that, if Strago is not related to Relm, the fact that he took possession of the house and the kid after the mother's death would be drawing attention in its own right in such a small community, whereas multiple generations of a family living in the same household would not draw much attention at all), we know that the mother died at some point years after giving birth to Relm, we know that Clyde had been there for a long time (long enough for Relm to speak and realize her father was gone after he left (so she was likely four to five years old at that point), we have the above contexts I just pointed out regarding Japanese cultural assumptions regarding mothers, and we know that Relm does not have Strago's last name of Magus (which is likely the shakiest bit in the entire chain of details we know). We also know that there are extra details that were released in japanese-only data-booklets.

Given all those details, it's more likely than not that Relm got the family name "Arrowny" from her father rather than her mother.

Beyond that, I would ask Djibriel and Imzogelmo, as they could likely fill in any missing info I haven't already covered. So while you're right that it isn't "100%" confirmed, given the contexts I'd say it's about 75% to 85% likely to be the case here.

There will always be some uncertainty due to the fact that "Clan" and "Social Rank" is also a factor to Japanese culture (meaning Clyde might have taken the mother's last name when they married AND Relm got her last name from mom at the same time, or other variations and themes along those lines), and with the game developers being from Japan and not being directly upfront about some things, well...
  Find

Threads: 7
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
There is a 50% chance that Relm's mother last name is Magus. The world of Final Fantasy VI doesn't seem to enforce patriarcal or matriarcal practices. The only examples of last name transmission present in the game (I think) are the Figaro's brothers that got their name from their father and Terra, that most likely got her name from her mother. Or perhaps she was given a name by the adoptive parents in Vector.

Anyway, even if Relm got her last name from her father, that doesn't mean Clyde gave his real name to the people of Thamasa.

Somebody out there might want to insert a condition in the end credits that, if we see every Shadow dream sequence, it changes the name from Shadow to Clyde Arrowny, so that is doesn't come out of the blue for people who didn't 100% the game. This would require that the tables for end game names are expanded, though. Also, perhaps a new end game sequence for Shadow who wouldn't want to kill himself anymore.

EDIT: Didn't see your answer, Robo Jesus. Really interesting!
  Find

Threads: 22
Status
Auto-life
Regarding Terra's last name, it is possible that her last name was given in Vector because her mother died at an early age. I highly doubt Espers hold last names (unless the creators say they do) and even if they do, it would be unlikely for the Empire to Terra who her father was. After all, she grew up in Vector when Emperor Gestahl kidnapped her and placed her father is a capsule.
  Find

Threads: 7
Status
None
(12-30-2017, 11:53 AM)NPCnextdoor Wrote: and Terra, that most likely got her name from her brother.

Ahah! I meant "mother", not brother. Her mother was human and could have de facto gave her name to her daughter. But you're right, maybe it was her adoptive parents' last name.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
I did not see this thread was in the patches sub-forum until now :/

I hosted the file on the forum server and updated the 1st post to fit a patch post format. This is a nice little patch btw! Great work!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • NPCnextdoor (01-02-2018)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-29-2017, 01:47 PM)NPCnextdoor Wrote: I don't know which bank is 0x0F0000 - 0x0FFFFF. It is $CF? Also, I wasn't able to find the length value for this string in the vicinity of these bytes. If it was following the same format as the other strings, there should have been a "0C" at 0xFF8A0E.

yes it's bank $CF. Absolute offset is 0x0F8A0F ($CF8A0F). I'm sure this is not printed from the same function as the name of each character, this could explain why there is no need for the length before the word. Thanks for this info, I added it to the document and credited you for the mistakes found as well.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • NPCnextdoor (01-02-2018)