Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
You can feel free to ping me in ff6hacking. There's also a dedicated channel for it on the FFIV Ultima discord, here. https://discord.gg/q2uWWZfA

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Holy crap, you're still working on this, eh?
Ive been wanting to replay this romhack, and I can't wait till 2.0 comes out! Ill give it a go then! Smile
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
Back in November, you mentioned something in line with ‘merging DP changes with the TWUE script’. Would that involve expanding the rom? I only ask because I’m basically done with the final draft of my script. All I need to do now is figure out the pointers, so that unused text boxes are not displayed. Then I need to figure out how to turn it into an .IPS file. That last part is simple, right? The .IPS part, I mean.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
TWUE expands the rom to 4MB, so seemingly yes it would.
By figure out the pointers, do you mean how dialog is called during events and such? That would fall under event code. FF6Tools could handle it, there's an event editor built-in and it should be able to work with DP I'd imagine. If not, there's an event dump text document and hex editor way which is just as easy if ya know what you're doin lol.

And yes, creating an IPS is a very simple process, you can use Lunar IPS and it tells you the basic instructions as you make the patch. Yet still many blunders have happened while making a patch, even though it's very simple lol.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
Yep, I’d like to reassign the dialog during events, so that certain captions are skipped over. That sounds easier than erasing the captions. FF6tools is still on the internet??? I think I remember using it once to edit out the battle music during combat.
  Find

Status
None
Just about ready to head in for the night, but I just watched your Chrono Trigger Music Expansion Patch on YouTube, and something crossed my mind during your discussion of said hack.  If you’re still interested in bringing Leo’s Theme over to the MSU-1 scene, I just wanted to point out a few bugs I’ve I encountered with FF6’s MSU implementation.

1) For some reason the music that plays during the “apocalypse” doesn’t ever mute (I.e. the volume never decreases).  So, after the cinematic of the world breaking up from outer space has finished, the music will kick in and blair out of the speakers.  It disrupts the emotional tempo of the game, interrupting what the audience has just witnessed.

2) There are several bugs involving the end of the game.  Mostly during Kefka’s Tower.  Some of the SPC files don’t even play during the final credits.  Finally, the battle theme during the final boss (Kefka) doesn’t transition seamlessly.  It will stop abruptly after you’ve defeated one phase of the boss.  The music continues playing but there’s no seamless transition musically speaking.

Anyway, you mentioned that Gi helped you work on the Chrono Trigger Project.  So maybe he can look into these problems just as well as you could.  At any rate, the guys over at Zeldix helped me get the final credits working, but if you get your SPC pack via. Python,  the final credit music just quits about half way through.  I have a full SPC sound pack if you (or Gi) ever need it for test purposes.

Looking forward to DP V2.0  Evil laugh
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the info. I actually never plan to use MSU-1 audio, personally. I think the SNES soundchip is part of the experience. My plan had been to implement whatever the current MSU-1 patch was, and then provide a PCM or OGG file (not sure which one is used) of Leo's Theme.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
Yeah, the SNES sound chip is definitely the TITS. And, yes, MSU-1 relies on PCM files…my bad. It’d be cool if the players could get a PCM version of Leo’s theme, with the supporting files, so it would play with all the rest of them. But, there’s no loss either way.
  Find

Status
None
I might have some troubling news to share. I corrupted one of my older TWUE ROMs earlier tonight and was patching the latest version of TWUE, when something unexpected happened. I wasn't able to get it to load in any of the editing programs the community has available here. I tried all the listed .IPS files and none of them would load in FF3usME, or FF6tools. I only bring it up here, because you might encounter it while working on v 2.0 of DP. I don't have much more to share other than the name of the ROM file wasn't being displayed in FF3usME and none of the menus were displayed in the toolbar. The online version of FF6tools didn't load the ROM at all. I'll contact Rodimus and one of the admins here via PM. I have a backup ROM, so I can continue working on my own project, but...

I’m positive I used a clean unheadered ROM for the install of TWUE’s latest version. I’ll try a different rom this weekend. I also have a ROM dumper, so I can try that option as well.
  Find

Status
None
Doesn't TWUE require a headered rom?

Projects:
  Find