Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Medicated
The only bad thing so far has been that Terra doesn't gain ANY levels during her scenario.

Move a boss fight and modify it. Like, that one fight before the 6 Espers in the Magitek Factory. He just stands there, in the way. Put him somewhere in front of Terra you have to fight to get past him and he can dish out some XP.

Alternatively, a nice Monster-in-the-box with a valuable item you'll want ASAP that also rewards some XP. Monster could be called Rare Candy.

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Dark-Arts
Is this dead?

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
It's not dead, just on hiatus. I was working on two other hacks to be used in this (a flag for enabling weapons for Genji Glove and a better way to handle Morph), and got burned out. I recently got the itch to go back to it, but you are all going to have to wait till I'm done with Kingdom Hearts III. Smile

For a couple of the ideas:

Cid as a playable character: if I did this, he would replace Kappa, not Gogo. I have a 16-character full roster hack currently working. However, I've given Cid a different role. If you save him by feeding him the best fish, you can get him to join on board the Falcon. He runs an item shop that sells magic-based items, like Shadow's skeans, magicite shards, and ethers. Arvis can also be recruited, and will operate as either your weapon un-equipper/optimizer or a free "tent". Haven't decided quite how to implement him yet.

EXP in Terra's scenario. The problem is not the presence of a boss fight, it's that her scenario takes place on the Veldt, which has a flag that excludes gaining experience. My solution for this (already implemented) is to not set the Veldt flag until after the Barren Falls boss battle, and boost the experience that Rizopas gives. As long as she can get to lvl 12, it doesn't matter too much that you can't grind for levels. She just needs to be strong enough to participate in the Narshe snow-field battle, and then she leaves your party for a few hours. When she comes back, she gets a level averaging done.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 12
Status
Brave
I don't want to be a jerk here because this mod looks spectacular but I think what I'm about to tell you has to be said. It's totally pretentious to call your mod the "Definitive Edition". First of all the artist sounds never declare his own work to be defining. Secondly, this hack alters the story. For a lot of players that alone will keep this from being their go-to version of the game.

The thing that makes Leo so compelling is his sacrifice. If I were playing this game for the first time with your version, watching Bannon die, I would be fantasizing about ways to keep him alive instead. Undermining, Leo's sacrifice also undermine's his character. A true definitive version that includes Leo, honors his story and adds a reason to bring him back from the dead.

The branching path changes are neat as hell but can you honestly say that that add definitive value? Those changes are just change for change sake. It might be compelling and different but it's not better.

A truly Definitive Edition adds to and improves the game. You want to put Leo in the party? Find an optional way to bring him back after his sacrifice and earn it with good writing. You want to bring closure to Bannon's story? That's great, do it without undermining the vanilla story.

I'm not saying that this won't be a terrific hack because it is going to be. I'm saying you need to either change your content or change your hack's name because the title is cheap and unearned and it devalues your efforts.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-11-2019, 11:09 AM)Timbo Wrote: I don't want to be a jerk here because this mod looks spectacular but I think what I'm about to tell you has to be said. It's totally pretentious to call your mod the "Definitive Edition". First of all the artist sounds never declare his own work to be defining. Secondly, this hack alters the story. For a lot of players that alone will keep this from being their go-to version of the game.

I think it is a legit name because the mod is probably the "Definitive Edition" in the eyes of the author, which is what matters here. There is no definitive edition possible because you'll always find people not finding it "definitive" enough and not to their taste or not matching their definition of "definitive". The proof is your definition of "definitive" is as subjective as the one of the hack author and I could even say both are equally valid. I don't think the hack "FF6: A Complete Hack" should change its name because people don't find it complete enough in terms of hacking event, music and battle system changes.
  Find

Status
Brave
(03-11-2019, 11:47 AM)madsiur Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 11:09 AM)Timbo Wrote: I don't want to be a jerk here because this mod looks spectacular but I think what I'm about to tell you has to be said. It's totally pretentious to call your mod the "Definitive Edition". First of all the artist sounds never declare his own work to be defining. Secondly, this hack alters the story. For a lot of players that alone will keep this from being their go-to version of the game.

I think it is a legit name because the mod is probably the "Definitive Edition" in the eyes of the author, which is what matters here. There is no definitive edition possible because you'll always find people not finding it "definitive" enough and not to their taste or not matching their definition of "definitive". The proof is your definition of "definitive" is as subjective as the one of the hack author. I don't think the hack "FF6: A Complete Hack" should change its name because people don't find it complete enough in terms of hacking event, music and battle system changes.

You're not wrong Madsiur. Though, your example is out of context. However, I specifically mentioned that I believe a definitive label should never be applied by the creator of any piece of artwork.

Either way, its just a suggestion. Personally, I feel like it's an overly bold claim that cheapens what will likely be an otherwise wonderful creation.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-11-2019, 11:57 AM)Timbo Wrote: However, I specifically mentioned that I believe a definitive label should never be applied by the creator of any piece of artwork.

I understand your point, and that could go with any label that is open to debate or highly subjective. Something like "FF6: General Leo Edition" is much more descriptive and there's no real way to say it's inaccurate or misleading for some, because after all the hack is about General Leo as a full character. Another option is to go with a more artistic / non-descriptive title like "Brave New World" or "Return of the Dark Sorcerer". The second case hint to the game antagonist though.
  Find

Status
Brave
(03-11-2019, 12:32 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 11:57 AM)Timbo Wrote: However, I specifically mentioned that I believe a definitive label should never be applied by the creator of any piece of artwork.

I understand your point, and that could go with any label that is open to debate or highly subjective. Something like "FF6: General Leo Edition" is much more descriptive and there's no real way to say it's inaccurate or misleading for some, because after all the hack is about General Leo as a full character. Another option is to go with a more artistic / non-descriptive title like "Brave New World" or "Return of the Dark Sorcerer". The second case hint to the game antagonist though.
I'm doing this in my upcoming Secret of Mana hack. I'm very much trying to go for a definitive version feel with general gameplay balance, ai hacks, script and text improvements, censorship removal, and quality of life hacks in an all-in-one package. However, I don't have the brazen guts it takes to call it as such. My hack is called "Secret of Mana: World of Balance".
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
It is actually a work in progress name. I haven't decided on the final name.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Ahhh... that's why it's not quite popular Ultimate Czar dragon  Sad
Jokes aside it's just a title after all... despite i'm picky sometimes it actually never jumped to my mind that the
title was inappropriated or something. live and let live

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find