Help with Minimap?

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I have been following the following guide for editing the minmap in my hack:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...compressed

I have made the edits, and saved them out of YY-CHR. Then I recompressed them in PSV. The PSV image preview window shows the edits that I made, no problem. However, the status window states "bad compression packet". When I load the saved rom in my emulator, the world map will not load.

I'm very new to the minimap editing, and it is the only thing holding back the release of my hack. Any pointers?

I will note that I've already opened both in Cygnus and confirmed that they are the same number of bytes.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
That bad compression packet is annoying indeed, I'm not entirely sure why it does it if the amount of bytes is not over, but what I do is just keep editing the graphic (also was the mini-map) until it no longer gave that error. Hopefully someone will be able to offer a more technical answer to avoid it, to me it just seems like trial and error and it's iffy and tedious, but eventually you should be able to have it successfully imported without error. I guess sometimes PSV doesn't agree with the newly edited graphic enough to re-compress correctly, and changing it ever so slightly it says okay that'll work. For instance I would get the error and then change one of the mini-map colors to another or remove a certain pixel and then voilà it'd work.

Also, I hope you made a backup before this! If not you'll have to re-import the map pointers and data cause it's more or less 'bricked' once you get that error.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • PowerPanda (10-17-2017)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Thanks for the tip. After 1 month of intensive work, I've made backups of my backups! I'll make my edits 1 pixel at a time and see how it goes.

Thanks again! I had to put the returners hideout 1 pixel south of where it should be, but otherwise it's done and into final testing!

Okay, a note here for posterity's sake.

i found that Zone Doctor CE had corrupted the WOR minimap, even though I had not done any edits to the WOR. I tried decompressing the graphic from an untouched rom, but got "bad compression packet" when I re-imported it, untouched, into my modified rom. I tried just directly copying the hex block that contained the minimaps in Cygnus, but that not only crashed my rom; it also wiped the memory of my SRAM. I looked back at previous archived versions of my modified rom, and found that the WOR minimap had been corrupted since day 1 of my hacking. I just never knew it because all of my testing was in the WOB.

In a bit of desperation, I applied Madsiur's ips patch from the FF6MMGEN utility. I was hesitant to do that since it changed the palette of the minimap, but it fixed both the WOB and the WOR. I was able to decompress that minimap and make whatever edit I needed without encountering errors upon recompression. So, lesson learned: for minimap editing, Madsiur's minimap is a lot more stable than the one from the base game.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
this is a general rule for most things madsiur makes lol, look forward to trying this out

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Nattak\'d
I forget exactly what the issue was for me, but I do recall something similar in which one of the utilities changed the pointer & moved the data for the WoR mini-map for some reason, which caused it to show up garbled in PSV, making it non-editable without doing something super tedious each time... Or maybe FF3usME was the cause of this? Maybe one of the patches it has to offer once the ROM is expanded? I think that, because I remember talking to Geiger (author of PSV) and then we finding out it was FF3usME doing this, and he was going to get in touch with Lord J to possibly work out a solution. I think, unless I dreamed this... but anyways it permanently moved the WoR mini-map to 2FEAA3 - 2FEF15. So entering that into PSV instead of the vanilla offset would correctly show the WoR mini-map, in order to edit it if need be. I have this in my notes. Smile

But besides this, it was a major headache for a while getting the overworld map's tiles not messed up, as well as the mini-maps, and having all my edits working nicely together, so I share your pain and hope everything is and remains good now!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
I think Zone Doctor and FF6LE Rogue and both CE editors recompress the mini-maps when WOR / WOB tilesets are modified and use greater space than the original sizes. It use some free space in bank $F0 or $F1 and is the reason why you need an expanded ROM. It's been a long time I've looked into this but it was something like that.
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
(10-18-2017, 11:23 AM)madsiur Wrote: It use some free space in bank $F0 or $F1

which parts?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
I'd say at the beginning of the bank, whichever it is. That would make the most sense anyways.