Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing default Row to certain characters

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I'm at the point where I'm mostly done with FF3usME after all these years working on my hack so I recently just started tackling with hex editing. Reading these disassembly docs sure helps a lot and I made great progression in a week. However, I think I'm stuck atm, I want to change default Row for certain characters but I can't find anything in the docs.

Front row seems to be the default row for all characters. Is there a way to change the default row to Back Row to certain characters when they join the group for the first time? The ones in questions are: Terra, Banon, Mog, Relm and Strago.

For some reasons, Leo defaults in the Back Row when you control him during the Kefka attack in Thamasa and ironically, I would like to change his default Row to Front.

I couldn't find anything related to front/back row in any of the disassembly documents. I've been reading C2, C3 and EventScript docs a lot recently and I feel pretty tired as a result so I might have missed something.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I found part of the info on the wiki ROM map. For menu (bank $C3), you need to play with the $75-$78 bytes and for battle (bank $C2), it's the $3AA0-$3F1F block, more precisely $3AA1 bit 5 for character or monster 0. Likely checking $3AA1 in bank $C2 should get you where it is set, same for $75 to $78 in bank $C3. If front row is default and nothing need to be set well there will be no relevant code.

How would I tackle this problem? Maybe having 2 bytes of free RAM that indicate a character is recruited (there are event bits for this already) and if certain bits are set, set the back row for these characters. This would need to be done in menu and battle because you never know which one you're going to trigger first after a recruit.

Code:
BATTLE
------
$3AA0-$3F1F Character/Monster Data
$3AA1 76543210
    7: something with regen/poison/seizure (DoT)
    6: pending action from run/control/psyche/seize (triggers subroutine at C2/0977)
    5: row (0 = front, 1 = back)
    4: target has a pending DoT action
    3:
    2: protection from instant death
    1: defense mode (used def. command)
    0: pending action goes directly to action queue

MENÙ
-----    
$75 --rbb--- character slot 1
    r: battle row (back row if set)
    b: battle order
$76 --rbb--- character slot 2
$77 --rbb--- character slot 3
$78 --rbb--- character slot 4
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Warrax (09-20-2017)

Status
None
I'm gonna take a look at this tonight when I get home, thanks a lot!

I have the impression that Leo could be a good reference since he's the only one appearing in the back row
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
i had a doubt since a while about Leo... what about if you try to switch all the characters you have recruited until now(shadow too) into front row?
if my doubt is correct then you'll find Leo in front row instead of back row
Basically i have the suspect that Leo uses a character to put his "mask" on him, i'd apreciate a lot if you try this test.  Pray

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
None
I have my doubts too because I remember seeing Leo in the Front Row a while ago (I could be wrong tho), I will take a look and let you know.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Well there is no logic of him taking the row position of any other character except who was in slot 15 (or 16?) prior to him. At this point it could even be see as a bug as one could logically think the row would reset when another guest take the slot Surprised
  Find

Status
None
Yeah I did some tests and couldn't see any associations with another previous character.  I have tons of savestates so I was able to return prior to Kefka event in Thamasa and change everyone's row to Front but that didn't influence anything related to Leo's weird Back Row.

I took a look at the code Madsiur shared, I'm really not sure what to do here...I can find offsets and mess with hex but that's about it...I don't know what to do with RAM location code. I searched in C3 and D4 and didn't find much...I see $75 a lot but it's used for many different functions and none of them are documented. Some results leads to menu functions but since it's not documented, it's really hard to figure.

If I absolutely have to program something and do conditions, I will have to give up for now, I'm not there yet.
I had the impression that all I had to do is change some hex here and there and be done with it but it's more complicated than that Sad
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
slot 15... the one of guests, right? the last attempt could be placing all guests(vicks, wedge, all moogles, Banon in particular, 2 ghosts inside the train, and eventually any other guest) in front row before they leave the party

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I had forgot SRAM. There is one bit per character that save the row ($1850-$185F). Also, Novalia Spirit $C3 Compendium has every code line commented FYI. But yeah, it's obviously a hack that require some ASM coding.

Code:
$1850-$185F verbbppp
            v: Visible
            e: Character is Enabled
            r: Battle Row (back row if set)
            b: Battle Order
            p: Party
  Find

Status
None
Well, if someone is willing to code something so we can change default row of everyone, that would be really awesome.

It's not really an urgent thing but since row is important in my hack (monsters hits pretty hard), I think it's better designed to assign certain characters in the back row as default (because if you forget to do it yourself, you might get destroyed next fight) and since I'm about to release my hack (it's almost done), I would rather not see complains because people forget to change row (Banon is a good example since him dying triggers a gameover). I'm also not fond of nerfing Rows like some hacks do.

Coders you are welcome!
  Find