Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Secret of Mana remake announced!

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(08-27-2017, 07:27 AM)seibaby Wrote: ...and of course the multiplayer needs to be online and modernized. Letting people team up with their own characters to cooperatively clear parts of the game on a higher difficulty would be neat.

See, now you are just spouting nonsense. This is exactly the right kind of thing the game SHOULD have but exactly what it WON'T have. I hate to be a downer, but chances are this will not be a thing. I would love to be pleasantly surprised, however.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-28-2017, 01:16 PM)B-Run Wrote: I hate to be a downer, but chances are this will not be a thing.

Are you saying there will be no online multiplayer? There will be, it was mentioned in SE announcement. I presume there will be offline co-op like the original game too.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Some Secret of Mana on PAX West this Sunday at 4:00PM PDT!

Not sure where on Twitch but likely on one or many of those channels:

https://www.twitch.tv/pax
https://www.twitch.tv/pax2
https://www.twitch.tv/pax3

[Image: sompax.png]
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
For those who missed the stream. No mention of online co-op but no mention of no online co-op either..

Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Mini
From everything I've been seeing, it looks like local co-op is what they are going for. No mention of online play yet.

Also, in all of the gameplay videos, the remake looks EXTREMELY faithful to the SNES game. ....even down to the animation calls and 'sprite' placements. It's most noticeable in the scene with Elliot in front of the Elder's house before Randi falls into the Mantis Ant den. Compare it to the original. Movement patterns and animation calls are all identical. Either this team had an insane goal of re-creating the game piece by piece, or they may be running the SNES or IOS Rom as part of the engine. (like FF6 Steam/IOS does with the FF6A rom)

The voice acting itself isn't terrible, but it is super jarring because there are no facial animations, and the dialogue itself READS better than it sounds. (a problem I find most translated rpg's with voice acting face, honestly.)

I AM super disappointed in the map design, though. I always envisioned a re-make going more with Shinichi Kameoka's designs (ie: Legend of Mana, Sword of Mana). The new landscapes are kind of generic and texturally boring. They sort of scream basic "Gamecube polygons" to me. They aren't ugly... it's just... I would have liked a bit more whimsy.

"Find the crystals? Save the world? ...Who even was that guy?!"  Shrug  

http://rjenyawd.deviantart.com/

Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I'm still holding out hope that they include the content missing from the original. The lead dev mentioned that the game was really only something like 40% complete, a lot of content being cut because it was originally developed for the add-on CD system that was planned for the SNES, but then fell through. So lots of stuff cut, which would probably explain why there are so many areas and rooms that seemingly have no purpose.

Also hoping that voice acting can be turned off. I feel like that should be a mandatory feature for most games. Not holding my breath, though. Most companies are too proud about having full voice acting in their games. Including the one I'm currently working for Sad

Status
Mini
But wasn't the 'missing content' from Secret of Mana re-worked and used to develop Chrono Trigger? I thought I remember reading that at the beginning stages they were the same game, and ended up branching off into two different projects after the CD system revoke? I wanna say that Hiromichi Tanaka mentioned this in one of the Secret of Mana supplement books. As far as I know, the only content that was left out, was some dialogue instances in the US release because of font space restrictions. ...but I could also be wrong. Hopefully, if there is some planned content that wasn't able to make it into the original release, SE will add it back in for the re-make! More Mana story sounds awesome!

Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
You know, I think I do recall hearing that. Or rather, the other way around; that Chrono Trigger was going to be slated for the Seiken Densetsu franchise, while SoM was actually originally intended to be part of the Final Fantasy franchise. Or maybe that was only the first Mana game (Final Fantasy Adventure).

It's all very confusing. But I do know that one of the things that was intended for SoM was multiple routes, leading to different endings (which was what led me to suspect all those dead ends in SoM). Given that Chrono Trigger did have the multiple routes and endings, it does seem very plausible that they borrowed from the original SoM project.

Status
Tissue-aware
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Rjenyawd (09-11-2017)

Status
Mini
Yaaaaaaaas, Chrono Compendium.

Loved that article! (even though the writer DID seem to have an unnecessary distaste for Secret of Evermore, which I've always thought was a super charming game.)

I didn't know about the Final Fantasy 4 connection until now either! Thanks, Madsiur!

Find