Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help with overworld sprite palettes!

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Confuse
I've scoured through a number of posts so far, but none seem to help me out. Essentially, all what I want to do is switch Shadow's overworld sprite palette to 1 rather than 4, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Hex is extremely foreign to me. And I would definitely appreciate and tips toward the right direction on this one.

According to FFusME: "FF3us, Version: 1.1" and "ROM is header-less: no"

Also, I should mention I currently have HxD (dunno how to use it tbh), FFusME V6.80, and RuneLancer's "palette_locs" document.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Hello and welcome!
This thread here I believe has the answers you seek: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread...d+palettes

Yes it will require using a hex editor, for changing the overworld palettes. I'm on my way to sleep now or I'd offer to be of more help, but hopefully that thar thread has what you need to get going with it. The overworld palettes are done via the 'event code'. Having the 'event dump' will come in handy for changing event-related code: http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/s...Disasm.zip But the overworld palette document in this case would certainly help to speed along the process.

One quick thing I see though is you're using a version 1.1 ROM and it has a header. Firstly you should always use a version 1.0 ROM because that's what most patches are based on, if you were ever to use some patch for your hack, and it's just a kind of norm to use 1.0. A headered ROM will have 200 extra worthless bytes of at the start of your ROM that will make finding offsets/addresses require factoring in +200 bytes, so it can be a bit confusing for newcomers, I'd recommend finding a 1.0 ROM with no header, or remove it yourself using a utility like SNEStuff, to remove or add the header. Some of the utilities require the ROM to be headered...

So, basically you just need to fire up the hex editor, go to the address in the document and change the value for the character palette. Just highlight the byte/value to change and type it with your keyboard to the value you want. And to see it change in-game make sure to play before you recruit the character, just a heads up about that.

I think there's a hex tutorial of some kind around you could check out if it still feels alien, but once you use it a few times it is easy, not much of a learning curve. HxD is a great hex editor, others would recommend WindHex32 as well. Both are satisfactory.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • xDaygo (08-17-2017)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
Gi Nattak explained it well but here are the instances to change. All four are Assign palette $04 to character $03 (Actor in stot 3), for all the times you meet Shadow. You need to change the 04 to 01 in all four places. I used runelancer document and the event dump. As an example with HxD, type Ctrl+G and enter 0A7CAA and you'll land right on the right spot. Bank $C0 is the Hi-ROM equivalent of bank $00 in Hex editor, hence $CA7CAA is $0A7CAA. If you ROM has a header, you first $200 bytes in HxD will be 00, except a few on first line. All given offset are then +$200, as an example $CA7EAA ($0A7EAA in HxD). I suggest to remove the header and only put it back when you apply a patch requiring one.

Also the Shadow NPCs will require a change that can be done in FF6LE on maps he appear.

Code:
$CA7CAA: 43 03 04
$CB0A8D: 43 03 04
$CC6FB6: 43 03 04
$CBCD59: 43 03 04

I also recently made a tutorial covering sprites which explain this in a more summarized way (section 6): https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...al:sprites
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Confuse
Real quick let me thank you guys for the help; I def appreciate the feedback. Okay, so here I am with everything so far. I removed the header of my rom, and changed the following in HxD:

0CA7CAA: 43 03 04 -> 0CA7CAA: 43 03 01 
0CB0A8D: 43 03 04 ->0CB0A8D: 43 03 01
0CC6FB6: 43 03 04 -> 0CC6FB6: 43 03 01
0CBCD59: 43 03 04 -> 0CBCD59: 43 03 01

Despite these changes, I dont have any differences in my rom. I played up until I first meet Shadow, and a little after but he seems to still be using his 04 palette. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
That looks correct. Do you mean the first time you meet Shadow in the South Figaro Pub? He is loaded as an NPC on that map so for that you'd need to change his palette using the level editor utility. There are many instances of characters and NPCs being used as such that will require changing them with the level editor. Their overworld palette is loaded and used once you have acquired them into your party and can control them in the lead spot.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • xDaygo (08-18-2017)