Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final fantasy II (Nes): Alternate Realm

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Slow
Hello, after much delay and other stupid reasons for delay. I've decided I'll introduce my attempt at a hack of final fantasy 2 for the nes, which is subtitled: Alternate Realm.

My goal of making this hack to make a significant hack of a ff game that has a lack of appreciation for the most part. I am too naive in the ways of doing hacking primarily to change things even more than they could be. That and I've ran out of ideas for sprite edits at the moment.

Some notable changes include:
-New character cast and overall enhanced starting stats, with some main npc's being changed for specific reasons.
-Slightly altered story line (Can't do much currently do to insufficient knowledge.)
-Changes to most enemy graphics (more noticeable late game.)
-Changes to weapon graphics (Kinda enhancements from my pov.)
-Changes to spells, specifically their base power, animations, made new spells from duplicates and unused spell.
-A rise in enemy difficulty. With changes including:
     -Overall slight increase to the majority of stats (some enemies are still weak though.)
     -Enemy evasion actually gets used and can be painful to deal with
     -Changes to spells greatly affect enemy damage output, their damaging magic no longer is terrible
     -Mp is rigged on some enemies along with their ai so that they always cast a spell a certain amount
      of times before they physically attack.
     -Even the innocent enemies now possess lethal potential Tongue
     -Some drops altered to make more sense, I guess?

Below are a few screenshots I took of the hack.

[Image: 6gOEevJ.png] [Image: t7dEJ65.png] [Image: zOfL8SO.png]                                                                                                                                                      (The characters default names are shown)
[Image: S5hRVjb.png] [Image: yUQ0RFk.png] [Image: oFvuhRi.png]

Planned features: Making this hack alone is hard as is, especially when I hardly know crap when it comes to editing, below is a list of features planned but not yet implemented due to lack of hack know how.

-Shift the name space for some text to make space for others. So more changes can be made overall.

-Change the maps to make a whole new point of view. Jade features changing the overworld map, but I've yet to dare use it considering a good sum of bugs found. I also want to change the maps of every town and dungeon, but I'm unable to understand Tsa and hex editing as a whole...

-Make more graphics changes. I plan to eventually change all graphics to enhance the overall appearance, but it is currently very difficult to do alone, even more so I am unable to understand editing ppu or oam, resulting in some graphics looking very off

-Improve the rate of skill leveling, which is something that would make gameplay much less tedious. Luckily, enemy rank setting beyond 7 works and has been implemented, so leveling is easier now.

-Bring life to the unused musics, something I bet many would enjoy hearing in ff2 gameplay, and also try to make new musics entirely, but is that even possible? I'm unsure..

-Edit the dark emperor field sprites and put them together to make large npc? That is a potential concept that may yield a interesting sight?

Known bugs

Unfortunately, as much as I try, some issues remain active and non changeable due to lack of hacking know how.

enemies that can still put up a fight tend to run away still at certain stats. During editing, salamanders enjoyed hitting me with their strongest attacks, but when slightly toned down, they choose to flee instead, I'm pretty sure this is more of a morale thing than a bug though.. 

Current Credits for why this hack exists goes to:
Lenophis, for making the wonderfully bugged editor Jade, which made it possible to change spells, weapons, shops, monsters, stats, etc. Although with some unpleasant side effects in the refurbished build...

Chaos Rush, cause his text editor CastleFynn makes text editing much easier to do. Though it always bugged when edited directly, so i ended up referencing the tables and text addresses while using hex editing. The hack was also formerly made with his refurbished hack, much gratitude for the permission I received to do this.

DemiForce Translation, for existing in the first place, and its the current site of hack development.

FCEUX, for being such a reliable emulator to test the hack and hex edit where other hex editors for some reason could not...

Vizzed.com's site staff ZircronSwift, for his indirect graphics contribution Tongue

Here is link to download the ips file, which is to be patched to clean ff2 jp rom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8pbqqy0rm7lwo...9.ips?dl=0
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ScarabEnigma for this post:
  • madsiur (06-01-2017)

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
looks nice will prob test it out at some point, i dunno why but i never played the old nes ones so i maybe wouldnt be the best judge, thanks for sharing!gfx look nice there

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Pretty cool hack man! I got it gets to the "finished" step of ROM hacking!
  Find

Status
Slow
I've yet to make a truly finished version, there is so much I wish to do and cannot due to lack of hacking knowledge, as explained above a couple times and now a third time here.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Yeah fixing unknown bugs can be tedious, but you can get there. You could do a patch for your GFX edits only then doing other edits 1 by 1 to isolate the bugs and therefore prevent them by reverting the last edit.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Would you like those screenshots to be but with the other random ones on main page and liking (or not) to this thread?
  Find

Status
Slow
I'll need to make screenshots of a more fascinating view of things.

Also, I'm planning sooner or later to try beginning editing map tiles. And the issue of not knowing how to edit ppu or oam still lingers greatly. I find various sources online that tell about it. Yet the one thing I never see is a explanation of how to best access the code. Cause I still haven't figured out which way I could access ppu or oam. Getting access to those may improve the graphics quality of certain things greatly.
  Find

Status
Slow
Okay, I've made an update to the hack. Below are notable changes I remember.

-Switched to building on the demiforce translation as Jade did not damage the code like Refurbished
-Lost b button dash a result (Deal with it Tongue)
-Phoenix down and life tome now casts life 8 on all enemies in battle (to combat undead enemies)
-changed more duplicate ai spells into unique spells
-Final Boss and LostW's hp changed from 63000 to 52000 (To hopefully prevent hp overflow..)
-Revi (duplicate life spell) Changed to Incin, a fire elemental instant death spell.
-Drink (duplicate berserk spell) Changed to Dread, a spell that inflicts all permanent status ailiment spells except petrify and toad
-status cure items now target all party members in battle (rather than user)
-Changed Mysidia weapons and armor shop and the Jade passage waterfall shop
-Gaia blade is now Shock Sword, a thunder elemental sword
-Most elemental weapons and shields can cast one time hit all spells while shattering the weapon or shield
-End game weaponry have been given repeat use spells that will surely come in handy Wink
-Turned the Killer Bow into the Zircon Spear, which is always dropped from Zircron (Cause a lone ribbon isn't worth the turmoil)
-CosmicD sword attack power buffed slightly (from 179 to 183)
-Temporary debuffs now act how they should (cause demi force)
-Paul now comedically refers to the annoyance of the doors as to why he can't find the mythril Tongue

The new ips file link will be replacing the old link. and screenshot's will be updated accordingly.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Congratulations on releasing your mod, something most modders never seem to do!

(I know I'm a few months late, I missed this thread somehow)

I've never played FF2 so I can't really comment further. Good luck with future development!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Good job scarabenigma!

For HP overflow, you need to do 65 536 damage points. So the safe spot is 55 536 ro below because you cannot do more than 9999 damage points in one turn (or strike).
  Find