Poll: Which of these features should be prioritized?
This poll is closed.
Custom AI commands recognition and labeling 30.43% 14 30.43%
3rd Dialogue bank (or half bank) 10.87% 5 10.87%
Expansions ExHiROM support 10.87% 5 10.87%
Ability to modify datas starting offset and number of entries 19.57% 9 19.57%
Ability to edit Setzer Slots 17.39% 8 17.39%
Rare items expansion 10.87% 5 10.87%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
FF3usME new features poll

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Lord J is starting to work on FF3usME again!

First new feature implemented should be Big and Small Battle Quote expansion (256 entries each, more total space for them). There has been a few other new features discussed and I'd like you to vote for the one(s) you'd like see the most. This poll is not a guarantee that the most popular new features will be implemented, it will more serve as a priority guideline and as suggestions. Their implementations is totally up to Lord J. If you have suggestions of other features, I'll add them to the poll. You can vote for more than one choice.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
he needs to work through the list in this topic:
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpB...?f=3&t=687

before adding a stitch of anything else. Tongue

that said, if i had to pick one thing from your list, it'd be "Ability to edit Setzer Slots", because that actually falls within the traditional purview of an editor.  also, the data for the symbols per reel and rigging probabilities are well-known.

the others may be useful, but seem to fall under expansion and/or "catalog and account for what JoeBlowX and RandomClownY did".  now, i have nothing against JoeBlows and RandomClowns -- they can be decent people and quite skilled hackers -- but there are far more of them than there are LordJs. Tongue

i'd make "Ability to modify datas starting offset and number of entries" a runner-up to Slots.  while it's also outside classical editor duties, the difference versus other choices is that LordJ is making his program more robust once, but leaving the parameters up to the user.  so he's not constantly having to adjust.  this sort of flexibility has proven popular in modules for Nightmare, a program often used when there're no dedicated editors written for a game.

"Rare Item expansion" (within the 32 quantity supported by SRAM) would be my third.  note that FF3us would require easy .asm editing to have the quantity for >= 20 items displayed correctly:
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpB...6990#p6990

(while being able to show the names of 21+ items in FF3us would require harder .asm hacking.)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 5
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
So, speaking as someone who has been using FF3usME for the last five years...

Many spell slots and battle formations are hard-coded, such as Doom Gaze's formation to retain his damage after the battle ends and Step Mine's slot for MP cost. Also Safe/Shell for SOS relic effects, where Shadow's scrolls and Edgar's tools point to (and from), the fact that the animation for Flash is actually the Super Ball, the sepia-toned battle scene from Terra's flashback, and many others, Labeling these slots would be very helpful since FF3usME lets us change them. I went through a LOT of trial and error on that.

Easier copy/pasting of slots from one position to another would be greatly appreciated, since most movement still needs to happen by hand. Presently, only animations (I believe) have this functionality.

The description for the "Suplex" byte is incorrect. It states that it does half damage to only a single target, but this is actually the result of its improper targeting flags. The Suplex byte actually causes the attack to respect the "can't be Suplexed" flag.

The targeting flags are somewhat-confusingly labeled. I can provide a rather comprehensive breakdown of what each flag does and which combinations to use for whatever targeting you require, but I'm not sure how easily it would be implemented.

The range of statuses in the the enemy scripting descriptions is incomplete. You can use FB 0B to give any status to an enemy but everything past Sleep (I believe) is unlabeled, forcing you to cross-reference the spell screen.

There is an in-battle text bank that FF3USME can't edit. It's where messages like "Mugu Mugu" and "X gained a level!" appear.

The unlabeled "FB OD" opcode that piranhas use allows the last remaining enemy on the field to be swapped out with a new enemy while retaining the standard death animation.

The ability to edit Setzer's slots will come with a drawback in that changing the placement will affect the ability to prevent Joker Doom via the formation flags. Would recommend combining with an unrigging patch.

Would also like greater reporting options for things that lack them, such as the spell index (I often review everything looking for inconsistencies and errors).

"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... b*t*h." -Simon Belmont
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BTB for this post:
  • Tenkarider (01-07-2017)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Quote:The description for the "Suplex" byte is incorrect. It states that it does half damage to only a single target, but this is actually the result of its improper targeting flags. The Suplex byte actually causes the attack to respect the "can't be Suplexed" flag.
this is a nice information... even that one about changing slots, i didn't knew it.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
None
Quote:The description for the "Suplex" byte is incorrect. It states that it does half damage to only a single target, but this is actually the result of its improper targeting flags. The Suplex byte actually causes the attack to respect the "can't be Suplexed" flag.

well, there are two special effect functions for Suplex, which starts off as a multi-target attack:
- the first randomly picks one target from the initial targets list (favoring a Suplexable monster).
- the second causes a Miss of a target with "Can't be Suplexed" set.

so while you're right about the improper flag ("No Split Damage" should be set), the special effect does tie into the damage halving.

Quote:The ability to edit Setzer's slots will come with a drawback in that changing the placement will affect the ability to prevent Joker Doom via the formation flags. Would recommend combining with an unrigging patch.

good point.. editing the "7"'s rigging probability (at C1/7EE1 in FF3us 1.0) to have none of bits 2-5 set would pose a problem.  conversely, the anti-777 measure could thwart other symbols if they were given any of these bits set. so yep, it would need an unrigging patch, or the ability to edit the ASM operand at C1/7F2C so it can be coordinated with probability data edits. (the latter way could be paired with error-checking by the program, or simply a text explanation underneath the data fields. and it'd need to let the user control all the bits in a byte as opposed to having some slider control.)

however, i don't think symbol placement on the reels matters when rigging against you (which includes the formation 7-7-7 prevention), as the game will spin the 3rd reel until a mismatch.  now, placement could mess with the more subtle rigging in your *favor*, because that only spins 4 extra positions to find a match.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 5
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(01-07-2017, 11:02 PM)assassin Wrote: well, there are two special effect functions for Suplex, which starts off as a multi-target attack:
- the first randomly picks one target from the initial targets list (favoring a Suplexable monster).
- the second causes a Miss of a target with "Can't be Suplexed" set.

so while you're right about the improper flag ("No Split Damage" should be set), the special effect does tie into the damage halving.

Sort of. What designates it as a multi-target attack is the targeting flags - not the special effect byte. The special effect byte does want the attack to be multi-target so that it can do its thing and prioritize a target that lacks immunity, but the damage halving is purely because it's a forced multi-target attack without the "no split damage" flag set.

What you might say is the second effect of that byte is that it will force a randomized single-target attack - we ran into issues using it for *actual* multi-target attacks for that exact reason. (In retrospect, I'm not quite sure why I was so surprised to see it do that given that Suplex was set in vanilla to be multi-target.) I didn't know about the why, though - I was just attributing it to the developers being a bunch of retards.

The more you know. *Rainbow*

Anyway, as promised... here's all I have on the targeting flags:

Cursor Movable

Check for single or free-targeting spells.

One Side Only

Check for all multi-target spells, otherwise check only to stop single or free-targeting spells from targeting the other team.

(NOTE: check *only* this flag for a self-targeting spell.)

(ALSO NOTE: this flag is likely the cause of the bug where Gau won't target allies in a side attack with spells that use it.)

Auto-Select Both Parties

Check for spells that target all allies/foes (*not* for "group" targeting, which won't hit both sides of a pincer/side attack).

(NOTE: check *only* this flag for spells that target everyone.)

Auto-Select One Party

Check for all multi-target spells (all allies/foes and "group").

Auto-Confirm

Used only by Blitzes and Bushidos (and is probably unnecessary).

Manual Party Select

Check for everything except single-target spells.

Cursor Starts On Enemy

Check for spells that should target enemies by default (use in conjunction with "One Side Only" flag to disallow targeting the opposing team).

Randomize Selection

Do not use this flag.

"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... b*t*h." -Simon Belmont

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I voted for:
Custom AI commands recognition and labeling
-Ability to modify datas starting offset and number of entries

I, too, would like to see the editor made more flexible and future-proof by loading ALL of its offsets and description strings from an external file. Constantly having to cross-check other documentation to see what is what is time-consuming.

A "wildcard" section with entirely customizable offsets, lengths, and descriptions would be useful for editing hardcoded stuff like effects tied to item IDs, etc. As assassin said, a more Nightmare-like approach.
  Find

Status
None
hmm, maybe i misunderstood the first poll option.  for whatever reason, i thought it meant Lord J should add in support for commands used in popular hacks.  but maybe it means user-specified commands and lengths.  now, going beyond that to define data types and value ranges for the command parameters seems like it'd be a royal pain to code, but this is coming from someone who's never made a single editor. :/

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Medicated
If it were even possible, if you could add a massive amount of MB or KB to the monster sprites. Imagine if you could have a unique battle sprite with every monster?

Slot editing would be nice. The graphics of the slots and/or the chances.

A small thing, if you can change who learns what and when (Blitz, SwordTech) without being directly associated to Sabin and Cyan. Good for if you changed the user of those abilities to be the ones who level up and learn new bits.
Would also be nice if every character had (potentially) their own learned magic naturally, not just Celes and Terra. It could be just as useful.

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(01-08-2017, 02:59 AM)assassin Wrote: hmm, maybe i misunderstood the first poll option.  for whatever reason, i thought it meant Lord J should add in support for commands used in popular hacks.  but maybe it means user-specified commands and lengths.  now, going beyond that to define data types and value ranges for the command parameters seems like it'd be a royal pain to code, but this is coming from someone who's never made a single editor. :/

I would definitely hope its user-defined. writing expanded commands is too easy, and supporting them would be mega helpful. I don't think there would be a good way to standardize it anyway... Plus, this is one of the few instances where it doesn't need any actual code or offsets... just a table that tells the program how to interpret the bytes for display purposes within the program.

(01-08-2017, 04:04 AM)Odbarc Wrote: A small thing, if you can change who learns what and when (Blitz, SwordTech) without being directly associated to Sabin and Cyan. Good for if you changed the user of those abilities to be the ones who level up and learn new bits.
Would also be nice if every character had (potentially) their own learned magic naturally, not just Celes and Terra. It could be just as useful.

These would be actual coding changes, not the kind of thing you would see in an editor. And there's enough nuance to how it could be written/implemented with coding and RAM, that it would be hard to even support from an editor. I think this is a stretch.
  Find