Mini-Maps Upgrade
version 1.1
released on 03/10/2017
apply to FF3us
credits: Yousei, LeetSketcher
wiki entry
Download

Description
This modification showing mountain ranges on both mini-map was originally in the FF3Edit Editor when you saved the ROM. Since mini-maps take more space with these modifications, WOR mini-map was stored at F0/0000 when saving. With the patch, all subsequent compressed graphics are shifted and some of the EF/FBC8 free space is used instead. FF3Edit also did not taken into account the floating continent, making the Sealed Gate continent still on the mini-map after the rise up. The app and new patch fix this.

If you want a darker or lighter mini-map, you can tweak the ROM palette colors (see readme) with like SNESPal. Color 1 is water, 2, 3, 4, 10 land / mountain and 5 locations. If you tweak the palette, the logic order is color 1 darker than color 2 darker than color 3 darker than color 4 darker than color 10. Color 5 should remain white. Colors 6, 7, 8, 9 are the Sealed gate equivalents, so logic is color 2 = color 6, color 3 = color 7, color 4 = color 8 and color 5 = color 9. Color 10 is assigned as 8 for the Sealed Gate so it has no proper equivalent. Enabling location hiding on Sealed Gate continent had the result of being 1 color short, I had to choose between the two option so I've chosen the 1st one.

See readme for app details and offsets affected

WOB

[Image: fetch.php?media=ff3:ff3us:patches:madsiu...ps:wob.png] [Image: fetch.php?media=ff3:ff3us:patches:madsiu...s:wob1.png]

WOR

[Image: fetch.php?media=ff3:ff3us:patches:madsiu...ps:wor.png] [Image: fetch.php?media=ff3:ff3us:patches:madsiu...s:wor1.png]
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • 13375K37CH3R (05-06-2018), SSJ Rick (03-16-2017)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
It was reported the Sealed Gate continent does not get erased from the mini-map after lifting up so I removed the download link. What the game does is assigning the water color to the three land colors for that part of the map. I suspect the following code does nothing with the modified mini-map. SRAM palette is $7EE1A0-$7EE1BF and $D2E[C-D-E]A0-$D2E[C-D-E]BF in ROM, I'm not sure which one exactly..

Code:
EE/9B02:    AFA2E17E    LDA $7EE1A2    (Color for sea pixels)
EE/9B06:    8FACE17E    STA $7EE1AC    (Set color for dark-grey outline)
EE/9B0A:    8FAEE17E    STA $7EE1AE    (Set color for light-grey outline)
EE/9B0E:    8FB0E17E    STA $7EE1B0    (Set color for main land)

The mini-map change is done automatically in FF3ed when saving based on the world map tile properties, assigning the four colors automatically. If someone could help figure out what the following source function does to the map SNES pixels values, it would be appreciated. The source is available here. My theory is Yousei code assign color IDs to the pixel other than 6, 7, 8 for land colors and possibly other than 1 for sea color, most likely on the same palette since I have not noticed a ROM palette change or ASM hack when doing the patch report with the modified mini-map.

FF3ed function:

BOOL WorldData::StoreMiniMapData(DWORD dwDest, DWORD dwOrigSize)
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Well I fixed this with the help of LeetSketcher. In the meantime I got lost and made a small app that does the same thing as FF3Edit, without the bugs (hopefully) and that can work with custom maps, e.g. custom Sealed Gate continent position. It's available here (with the patch also).

I tested the app and the result is good, I made two modifications to FF3Edit code, see the readme for the story, offsets affected and all the details. Please also report any bug but from my test the 3 maps work (WOB, WOB after floating continent and WOR) and ending was playing right (which mean shifted data pointers are correct). I also included the source code if you want to modify the color assignation or reassignation.
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • 13375K37CH3R (05-06-2018), Rodimus Primal (02-28-2017), Timbo (02-28-2017)

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I was going to include this in my Add-Ons patch with Woolsey Uncensored before you took it down. Glad you fixed it. I think it will have to be tested first.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-28-2017, 12:11 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: I was going to include this in my Add-Ons patch with Woolsey Uncensored before you took it down. Glad you fixed it. I think it will have to be tested first.

For a first use, you can either use the patch or the utility for vanilla maps, they will give the same result. However for someone who would have already used the old patch, I would recommend running the app instead of patching over the old patch, it seems a more logical option. For custom maps, you must use the app.

I have tested all 3 maps. The Falcon rising from water GFX and ending palettes will probably move with either the patch or the app, I have tested the game ending but not the part where the Falcon rise from the water. However I'm pretty confident the pointer is correct since it's the same calculation as the ones before and after and this particular data was only moved and not decompressed / recompressed.

If you want a darker or lighter mini-map, you can tweak the ROM palette colors (see readme) with like SNESPal. Color 1 is water, 2, 3, 4, 10 land / mountain and 5 locations. If you tweak the palette, the logic order is color 1 darker than color 2 darker than color 3 darker than color 4 darker than color 10. Color 5 should remain white. Colors 6, 7, 8, 9 are the Sealed gate equivalents, so logic is color 2 = color 6, color 3 = color 7, color 4 = color 8 and color 5 = color 9. Color 10 is assigned as 8 for the Sealed Gate so it has no proper equivalent. Enabling location hiding on Sealed Gate continent had the result of being 1 color short, I had to choose between the two option so I've chosen the 1st one.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I updated the utility to v1.1 and patch to version 1.2. Both feature the same changes:

- Lighter palette for land colors.
- Extra ASM code shifted of a few bytes (to match end of free space block).

See readme for more details.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
pretty cool madsiur

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
Interesting, never thought of editing this kind of thing, but that's what tools and editors are for. Looks cool.
  Find

Threads: 47
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Is there a way to change the mini map transparent background to solid color? It hard to see the small exit dots.
  Find