Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Final Fantasy VI Advance Font Pack
by @seibaby
version 1.01
released on 11/22/2016
Download

This is a font replacement for FF3us for the SNES. The variable width font, used in dialogues and item/spell descriptions in the menu, is the dialogue font featured in Final Fantasy VI Advance.

The fixed width font, used in field and battle menus, was drawn by yours truly. It is a wide, bold version of the variable width font that looks good within the fixed width limitations of the menus in the SNES release.

[Image: orig.png] [Image: orig2.png]

NOTE: The Advance dialogue font is narrower than the Chicago font used in FF3us. As a result, text alignment may be off in certain captions, as seen in the accompanying screenshots. Modifying dialogue with FF3usME overwrites any and all changes made to dialogue by other patches. In the interest of compatibility with other patches, I have opted not to make any changes to dialogue.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • the_randomizer (11-12-2016)

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Thanks Madsiur. I'd like to suggest replacing the chosen screenshots since they don't do a great job of showcasing the differences in the original and alternate font.

Here's a different set of screenshots that does a slightly better job of it.

Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Does this work with the Uncensored ROM hack?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-12-2016, 12:10 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: Does this work with the Uncensored ROM hack?

The TWU Edition Hack? Most likely, these patches only touche the fonts an nothing else.

Best thing is to try it but if you see dialogues and menu correctly, chances are they are 100% compatible.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • the_randomizer (11-18-2016)

Status
None
These patches touch nothing but the font data. They will be compatible with anything that doesn't relocate that data.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • the_randomizer (11-18-2016)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Sorry for the late reply, and awesome, gonna test it out Tongue
  Find

Status
None
I've discovered a few errors in the VWF font I drew; particularly the lowercase letters "j", "y", "p" and "q" are one pixel too low, resulting in the look that made me think an alt version was needed. In reality, the GBA font doesn't look like that.

Furthermore, the spacing in the ellipsis ("...") is too narrow, and there's a character missing - the em dash. I will update the patch when I have time, and probably discontinue the alt version.

On another note, I've been working on dumping and fixing up the GBA dialogue script for insertion alongside the font, to make text in dialogue boxes align nicely. I've fixed up the intro text and character introductions, but I still need to check text alignment on a large number of minor captions and compare it to the actual GBA release, which is slow going.

@the_randomizer thanks for testing this. If you notice any strange looking letters or letter combinations that seem off compared to the GBA release, please notify me and I'll incorporate them into my update.

And a question for everyone - are there any unused characters in the FF3us font that I might replace with the em dash?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-18-2016, 11:13 AM)seibaby Wrote: I've discovered a few errors in the VWF font I drew; particularly the lowercase letters "j", "y", "p" and "q" are one pixel too low, resulting in the look that made me think an alt version was needed. In reality, the GBA font doesn't look like that.

The current little FF6 hacking project I'm working on will need a GBA font to be fully working so I'll wait on the updated version and incorporate it with your permission (I'll credit you for this part of the hack). That been said your current GBA font would do or even Poco's one but yours is a better candidate for my official release.

(11-18-2016, 11:13 AM)seibaby Wrote: And a question for everyone - are there any unused characters in the FF3us font that I might replace with the em dash?

I'm pretty sure some symbols are not used but can't tell you which ones off hand.
  Find

Status
None
I've updated the patch to fix the following problems:
The new patch is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hxjjlrjs4nq69...1.zip?dl=0
@Madsiur, please update the OP

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post: