Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Happy Accidents

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
Have you ever messed around while hacking and accidentally produced something interesting?

For instance, I was playing aroung with the loop that that blanks out spell costs in battle, and by NOP-ing the hex, something unexpected happened.

All of the disparate spells of each character's spell lists appeared on all of the characters' menus. It was like Gogo's Magic Menu, except every character shared each other's spells...but could still learn them normally after the battle.

Obviously, this was a bugged version (unavailable spells were still blank and unselectable, but had a 255MP cost), but it made me wonder what if someone were able to get this behavior to work in a non-bugged way. This would definitely change the game. And if there were a way to make this behavior compatible with some of the more famous patches (say Imbued Magic and/or Restrict Espers) this could be used to allow for more flexibilty and it would work well with the whole themes of coming together.

But I'm a dreamer and not a coder, and I still have my own goals to work towards.  In the interest of discussion, what "happy accidents" have you discovered as you tinkered?
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I swear that half the animations that I've come up with for Iris thus far have just been happy accidents trying to get something else to work. Tongue

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
ANY time you try to make any new combination for spell animation and you obtain a decent result, that's an happy accident, never intentional  Laugh

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
I've accidentally created some awesome looking spells, ah it takes me back lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I've never triggered by accident anything worth considering implementing in a proper way. However, working with events one time, I had Terra "flying" full speed at the top of the right corner of the screen. It was some event subroutine call that had a wrong parameter (B2 XX XX XX).
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
When I was working on the Monster AI upgrade, I was working on target front row and target back row, and i accidentally did something backwards with the targeting code that ended up causing the monster to target nothing... which had the side effect of still showing the attack but showing no animation as it didn't attack anyone. This later became "Attack: None" and I used it to show an attack had passed in a sequenced boss battle, so the player could dodge the attack but know when the turn had passed.

Happy Accidents Smile
  Find