Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Short Story Contest Winners!

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Short Story Contest Winners!

We had a really good turnout for the Short Story Contest! In total we received nine entries and it was an absolute joy to read them all! In the end I picked two winners, with a combination of insight, relevance, and writing accuracy; these two stories stood above the rest. As much as I enjoyed reading all of the entries, some had several errors spell-check could have caught, while others were left a little open-ended but were otherwise very compelling. The writers for the contest had some great insights and thoughts into many characters in FF6, both primary- and side- characters, and I encourage people to share their work! In fact, I will be making a fan-fiction thread where people can post their own works for feedback/discussion. So keep an eye out for that.

Without further adieu, here are the winners!
(story titles were by me, as neither entry had one.)

Cyan's Victory by Lockirby2

I loved this story because it blended story elements with game mechanics seemlessly. Everything seemed so plausible and retold the story with a new air that made me fall in love with the scene in front of Doma. It's hard to re-tell a story well, and Lockirby did an amazing job. The setup and description of Cyan's moves, without outright stating he was doing such-and-such Swordtech was so subtle, yet extremely compelling, and the moment of fridge logic when it clicked was extremely satisfying. Well done.

Stop Running by Turbotastic

Who hasn't wondered what happened to Shadow? In fact, a LOT of the entries were about Shadow. But this one I felt wrapped everything up in a nice little bow. The characterization of Strago and Relm were spot-on (even Gungho just seemed right), and I think Shadows decisions line up perfectly with his story line from the game. Shadow needed to die; be left behind... and Clyde needed to live again. I could go on-and-on about Shadow and Baram and Relm and Thamasa and Interceptor, but I won't. Instead, read this and think about how great a game FF6 was and how great a character Shadow was. Great job Turbo!

The winners have had their entries be the first creations added to the Contest Winners section of the wiki, where we will be keeping exceptional work from the community as we continue to do other creative events in the future.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Congratz to the winners! I suggest the Text-Edit contest should make it to the wiki also. I can take care of that if you agree.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but are the other entries available to read as well?

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Yay! I'm glad that my entry turned out as well as it did. Smile I knew that I wanted to recreate an actual battle from the game, but I mentally searched through a few before I thought of a scene that I felt I could do a good job with.

I second Nattak; I'm interested in seeing the other entries as well. Or are you leaving that up to the participants?

EDIT: I'm also really glad that we had nine participants this time. The more the better, in this case.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Obliviscence
(09-14-2016, 12:24 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Congratz to the winners! I suggest the Text-Edit contest should make it to the wiki also. I can take care of that if you agree.

I agree to that. I gave m06 a "site_events" button he was supposed to put on the main wiki page.

(09-14-2016, 04:47 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but are the other entries available to read as well?

sharing other entries is up to the other entrants. Wink

Tho, due to post-length, they might need to be posted on an external location and posted here. I know a couple people sent me theirs via mediafire or other download medium. dropbox is a good free one.
  Find

Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
I can't believe I won! Thank you. While Shadow's fate could be taken either way in the game, I choose to think he would stop running from the past.

I'm sorry for forgetting a title. "Stop Running" is great.

Congratulations to Lockirby2. That was an excellent use of action and choreography. Instead of just seeing the fight, as I read the story I felt as if I were there.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-14-2016, 07:00 PM)B-Run Wrote: I agree to that. I gave m06 a "site_events" button he was supposed to put on the main wiki page.

In the meantime I made the entries: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...st_winners
  Find

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
Congrats, turbo -- I've yet to read your story but I skimmed through it and I can tell it's well written. And definitely more topical than my own story, ha.  Cover  And if Lockyrby's writing is anywhere near as good as his eventing skills, it should be an interesting read. Congrats LK.

Nine entries, damn... that's a better turnout than I expected. It's funny, I thought the post-by-post story thread would garner the most attention, if only because it required less effort to participate, and it's writing effort all the same. I guess contests just get people excited, huh... color me surprised.

As for me it was a fun opportunity to flex my writing muscles and create a horror-ish tale out of FF6. First time I write a narrative in English, too. So a new experience there, mos def.

@B-Run: as a suggestion, I think we could have a custom "winner trophy" and a "medal" icon/graphic thingie to place next to the winners and runner-ups when we have contests, perhaps even with "FF6hacking" inscribed somewhere on them. It would be a neat addition IMO.

Ok so I'm free to post my entry on the short story thread, then. I'd like to read the other participant's entries as well, so I hope others will also post their stories there.
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
Yeah, you can post your work wherever. I haven't made a thread for people to put their works. Even though I said that it probably doesn't need to be centralized. I'm kind of realizing a thread with a bunch of links doesn't make much sense. If they are mostly links, they can go just about anywhere. so post them here or in the original contest thread... or make a new topic if you want to discuss it! whatever it makes most sense to you.
  Find

Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(09-15-2016, 08:14 AM)FF6Fanatic Wrote: As for me it was a fun opportunity to flex my writing muscles and create a horror-ish tale out of FF6. First time I write a narrative in English, too. So a new experience there, mos def.

Wow, I had no idea that English wasn't your first language after reading your story.  It didn't seem to have any of the tells that would indicate that.

Confused Moogles FTW