Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FF6Tools - Browser-Based ROM Editor

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Awesome stuff!

EDIT - two things I noticed. One, FF4 GBA, are those sprite sheets able to be viewed and imported/exported?

And some of the FF6 sprites don't seem to display properly, mostly NPC sprites.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
The FF4 character graphics in the screenshot are actually from the SNES version, and yes you can import/export those. I haven't added character graphics for FF4 Advance yet.

For FF6 NPC graphics, there is a "Sprite Sheet" button at the top that opens a menu to select a different sprite sheet, i.e. "NPC (22-62)". The numbers indicate which graphics index should use that sprite sheet. NPCs use a few slightly different sprite sheet formats for special actions (waving, singing, surprised), so you will see some garbled tiles in places if an NPC doesn't have tiles for those actions. You should leave the garbled tiles blank when you import. It will automatically put the tiles in the correct places.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • DrakeyC (07-30-2020)

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Ah, I see. Thank you. Smile
  Find

Status
None
New features!

Attack/spell animation graphics for FF4 and FF6
Splash screen and prologue graphics for FF4
(SNES/SFC versions only)

[Image: kp91Atwm.png]
[Image: 9cW4Xdqm.png]
[Image: TgyXWxjm.png]
  Find
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • CalAnon (01-16-2021), madsiur (01-16-2021), SSJ Rick (01-16-2021), Warrax (12-16-2020)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
First, Everything, thank you for making this amazing tool.

I don't know if you're still browsing around here. I hope you are. I couldn't find an answer to this in the thread or anywhere else.

-I'm editing FF4-Advance. While the changes that I've made to character level progression (primarily fixing Yang's HP Bug), weapons, and some other things seem to be saved in the browser, they're not saving when I go to save the ROM.

-Most of my map changes are saved, but not all (I remodeled the area around Baron, and while the tiles have changed, the Triggers to enter the town of Baron did not save, yet when I moved the entrance to the Mist Cave north and made the travel area to it longer, this DID save).

-Is it possible to increase the physical size of map screens for enterable areas? Such as making the Towns and Dungeons larger.

-Is it possible to add map screens, and if so, how? Such as making more towns, or more buildings. Or, do I need to cannibalize existing ones and change the pointers?

-Is it possible to add more merchants, or duplicate them?
  Find

Status
None
Hi, thanks for the feedback.

When you change the level progression, the changes won't take effect in game until you gain a level or start a new game. Also, be aware that stat gains above level 70 are handled differently than below level 70. This looks like it provides a pretty good explanation: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/929937...faqs/49382

Item properties (including weapons and armor) should update when you save, but changing a character's initial equipment will not take effect unless you start a new game.

I'm surprised that the triggers aren't saving properly. I think I remember testing that pretty thoroughly. Is this only happening on the world map?

It's not currently possible to change the size of an FF4 Advance map with FF6Tools. I know how to do it in theory, I just haven't implemented it yet. It's also not currently possible to add new maps. I'm not even sure if the new GBA maps can be edited. I know a lot of the entrances for the Lunar Ruins and Cave of Trials maps don't seem to make a lot of sense.

You can't currently add more shops, but I'm working on some changes that should make this possible. I'm not sure when this will be available.

Sorry the FF4 Advance support is not in better shape! It's actually one of my favorite versions of an FF game, but it's difficult to add features because it's vastly different from all of the other games that FF6Tools supports.
  Find
  • CalAnon (01-16-2021)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
wow this is a very impressive update, very nice work, I can't wait to see full on weapon graphic editing in 6

keep up the great work

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Everything
When you change the level progression, the changes won't take effect in game until you gain a level or start a new game. Also, be aware that stat gains above level 70 are handled differently than below level 70. This looks like it provides a pretty good explanation: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/929937...faqs/49382

First, thank you for replying. I know what it's like to try and solo a project, though not one of THIS magnitude, so you have my undying respect. It's amazing what this thing can do.
As for how the Levels work, I'm quite aware of this. What I mean, is...

-I change things for different levels. i.e. I give Tellah more INT and SPI (say, 45 for each) on every level (21, 22, 23, etc.) and keep that consistent until 70 when things change, of course (the graphs REALLY HELP).

-I save the ROM
-I re-open the Saved ROM

-The changes are gone/did not save, when examining the Levels for the Characters again.

Same thing when..

-I edit a weapon (Avenger, to remove the Auto-Berserk, add a few Stat Buffs to other gear, change the Hand Axe's attack power, etc.)

-I save the ROM and Re-Open it

-The changes are gone.

For the triggers...

-I edited the World Map to move all of the Town of Baron to one side of the Castle.
-I re-set the Triggers in the pane off to the side.
-I check and make sure the Exit Triggers from Baron are functional and point to the right place.
-I save and Re-Open the ROM.
-The Trigger Squares are right back where they were before (two on either side of the Castle)
HOWEVER!
-All the other map changes, such as moving the entrance to Mist Valley/Mist Cave dungeon, and it's accompanying triggers, BOTH saved and re-loaded just fine.

Completely vexed by this. I don't know why some changes work and others don't. Does the type of browser the person is using have any effect on things? I know I can't get this to work in Brave Browser, so I'm using Waterfox. I also tend to get a Script Error warning when I go to save the edited ROM that a script has stopped functioning on the page, but I tell the Browser to let the Script run, and it does give me a new ROM to "download."

I hope you can help with this mystery - just changing a couple things here and there to "polish" it was my initial intention. Just answering the questions that I can't add new areas and things, does help. It means if I want to add a new little area, I'd need to cannibalize the Dev Team Office's three rooms and their NPC's, too, I suppose. I'd been hoping to carve away a lot of the senseless mountains in the game and add some small outposts/micro villages, or at the very least, a Troia/Baron border crossing station (closed, of course).
The one thing that bugged me about all the earlier FF games - and even to today in most RPG's - is that there's like the castle, one town, and that's it for the whole kingdom. I was hoping to "open up" the world map more, force even more walking, but provide some Inns and Item Shops.. lengthen the game by increasing the amount of area you'd need to initially cover on foot. Which would work right up until the Astos/Dark Elf fight. Even with Troia, I could force the player to land on the far side of the Great Forest and walk to the castle, and provide a village part-way. Then, make a few of the early dungeons much larger. Like Mist Valley/Mist Cave, the Passages to Damcyan, Mt. Hobbs, Mt. Ordeals (hence why I was editing the Hand Axe - to let Cecil DK have a weapon that deals more than 1HP damage to Undead, but still not be as effective as Tellah and the Twins with Magic), and the Antlion Cave. The later dungeons are large enough, I feel, though the difficulty seriously drops when you get a L.45+ party going.
That was my goal, anyhow. I hope, one day, this can be worked out. Thanks again.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the clarification and the kind words. I found a bug in the trigger code that was probably causing the issue you were seeing on the world map. It's fixed now. You might need to clear your browser cache for the changes to take effect.

The script warning is probably just because it takes so long to save. This makes the browser think the page isn't responding. It should be nothing to worry about.

I wasn't able to reproduce the other saving issues that you've been seeing. I tried modifying character stats and item properties, saving, then re-opening the saved ROM with the included .json file. All of the changes I made were still present in the modified ROM. I tested with both Chrome and Firefox with no issues. It's possible that the trigger bug I fixed could have been causing a problem, so try again and let me know if it's still happening.
  Find
  • CalAnon (01-17-2021)

Status
None
Seems to be working now. Thank you so much! I'll bang around with some changes and see what I get.

Once again, you are awesome.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CalAnon for this post:
  • Everything (01-17-2021)