Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6Tools - Browser-Based ROM Editor

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-14-2019, 11:22 PM)Everything Wrote: Do you have a ROM map for FF5 Advance by any chance?

There was a small one for FF5A and a bigger one for FF5 on Slick wiki. I guess the tedious way would be to make a binary search for partial or full SNES data in FF5A, what I did (and maybe you as well) for FF3us / FF6A.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Everything (02-21-2019)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
X-Zone
Quote:How many arguments do you have for command D3? I have 4 bytes total (including the D3). Here's my commented disassembly:
That is correct, but in your tool it uses only 3 bytes. 
For example event 74 (in front of Zokk's house, Map 32, trigger 130):
Code:
C86150: B1 02             Set Player Overworld Sprite to 2: Bartz
C86152: D3 80 E1 18       Set NPC 00 on Map Position $21,$18
C86156: D3 81 E1 18       Set NPC 01 on Map Position $21,$18
instead of address C86156, your next command is at C86155. I think you use the D8 parsing for D3 Smile

Quote:Do you have a ROM map for FF5 Advance by any chance?
Only the link @madsiur  shared. However I have accumulated a bunch of addresses in the Viewer that might not be listed. If you are interested I can copy them from the source code.

Quote:I guess the tedious way would be to make a binary search for partial or full SNES data in FF5A, what I did (and maybe you as well) for FF3us / FF6A.
Yes that is what I did for most parts Laugh
But don't expect 1:1 copy - GBA require data aligning so something that is 7 bytes in SNES is probably 8 bytes in GBA. Also in some of the data they have scrambled the position of fields. Also GBA has more weapons, classes, ... so some fields might get expanded to use more bytes.
Ofc, somethings are reworked from a scratch. Like scripts for example, use completely different system. Everything that is visualized - its stored differently (tiles, backgrounds,...)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Squall_FF8 for this post:
  • Everything (02-21-2019)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(02-15-2019, 05:11 AM)Squall_FF8 Wrote: instead of address C86156, your next command is at C86155. I think you use the D8 parsing for D3 Smile

Yep, you are totally right. Thanks for the heads up. I had combined combined D3 and D8 without taking into account that they are different sizes. I'll fix it in the next update.
  Find

Status
X-Zone
@Everything Are you still working on this project?
I was planning to do an editor for event scripts, but I like your layout and I don't see a need to make 2 editors, so I prefer to help you with your project Smile

Here you are few suggestions:
- add extra tab for scripts (next to Maps/Battles). This will give the user direct access to check/edit them.
- add extra tab for NPC on Maps next to 'Triggers' (rightmost window). NPCs on a map are essential to understand what "NPC 01" mean in scripts.
- add double click on items in the middle bottom window. If the element has element with a link, act as if that link was pressed. For example: when a double click on item that is Dialog XXX, to jump to editing that dialog.
- there is much work to be done on "Battles" before that actually could be used in a mod. For example: lacking an essential features like monster coordinates and visibility.
  Find

Status
None
(02-25-2019, 05:33 AM)Squall_FF8 Wrote: @Everything Are you still working on this project?
I was planning to do an editor for event scripts, but I like your layout and I don't see a need to make 2 editors, so I prefer to help you with your project Smile

Here you are few suggestions:
- add extra tab for scripts (next to Maps/Battles). This will give the user direct access to check/edit them.
- add extra tab for NPC on Maps next to 'Triggers' (rightmost window). NPCs on a map are essential to understand what "NPC 01" mean in scripts.
- add double click on items in the middle bottom window. If the element has element with a link, act as if that link was pressed. For example: when a double click on item that is Dialog XXX, to jump to editing that dialog.
- there is much work to be done on "Battles" before that actually could be used in a mod. For example: lacking an essential features like monster coordinates and visibility.

Yes, I would love some help! Do you have a GitHub account? I'm not well versed in GitHub stuff, but I think I could add you as a collaborator and then you would be able to make changes directly.

I have plans to auto-populate the tabs on the left side with ROM data so that it acts like more a file browser/navigator. That would include lists of events, dialog, monsters, etc. for easier access. But right now it's hard coded so it only lists maps and battles.

I actually already have a way to show the index of the selected NPC. It's included in the current version but I commented it out. I'll turn it back on in the next update. I would also like to eventually add a toggle to display a little numeral on top of each NPC on the map.

I like your idea about double clicking items in the script window. I'll add that to my todo list.

I agree about the FF5 battle editor. It needs a lot of work. Although you should already be able to change monster coordinates by clicking and dragging. Let me know if that isn't working for you.
  Find

Status
X-Zone
Quote:Yes, I would love some help! Do you have a GitHub account? I'm not well versed in GitHub stuff, but I think I could add you as a collaborator and then you would be able to make changes directly.
Unfortunately I don't know Java/Json, so I can't directly alter the source code. I probably can read and understand since most of the new languages are C/C++ syntax like.

Quote:I have plans to auto-populate the tabs on the left side with ROM data so that it acts like more a file browser/navigator. That would include lists of events, dialog, monsters, etc. for easier access. But right now it's hard coded so it only lists maps and battles.
That is exactly what I was hopping for. This way we will have fast access to different elements!

Quote:I agree about the FF5 battle editor. It needs a lot of work. Although you should already be able to change monster coordinates by clicking and dragging. Let me know if that isn't working for you.
Yes dragging works. It will be nice to be able to see/edit coordinates as numbers. I don't know how it is for FF6 but in FF5 visibility plays huge roles. Pretty much each more complicated battle or almost all boss battle manipulate visibility. As visualization you may use my trick - use high value transparency. Transparency works well on bright/white background. For more darker ones maybe things like gray-scale ...
On top of that there are FF5 specific fields - like how many ATB you gain, assigning a pal for each monster, Escape %, Music Control, Visual Control,... Check this screenshot, it should give you some insights:

[Image: FFV_Viewer%20-%20Screen3.png]
  Find

Status
None
Okay, I made hidden monsters transparent and I added controls for most of the other battle properties. I don't quite understand the palette bytes though. Can you explain what they do?

[Image: bhEiuURl.png]
  Find

Status
X-Zone
Woah excellent work!

It's been like 2-3 years since I did study it ... but in general, there are places like underwater, flames around,.. wich require to change how a monster look. Instead of having a dublicate for these special locations, they use 2 bits in encounters/battles to change that. When that bit is 0 it uses the default palette that comes with monster definiton.
When the value is <> 0 ... I think it uses one of predifined 3 stock palettes for that monster.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Squall_FF8 for this post:
  • Everything (04-03-2019)

Status
None
I updated the navigator pane (on the left side of the screen) so that it gets populated automatically based on available data in the ROM. I've added a lot of new data to ff3us, and I'll add more to the others soon. Here is an example with all of the top-level categories expanded.

[Image: 6kxZNB9l.png]
  Find
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • madsiur (04-03-2019), Robo Jesus (05-20-2019), Tenkarider (04-04-2019), Warrax (04-03-2019)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-03-2019, 10:44 AM)Everything Wrote: I updated the navigator pane (on the left side of the screen) so that it gets populated automatically based on available data in the ROM. I've added a lot of new data to ff3us, and I'll add more to the others soon.

This is a really cool improvement! Good job!
  Find