Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FF6Tools - Browser-Based ROM Editor

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
So, I just went a blew the dust off my old Mac to see if I could get this to work. The answer is no.

After clicking on the binary to open it, nothing happens. It appears on the dashboard and when I click the icon the bar at the top gives me:

FFG Tools, File, Edit, View, Window, Help

I tried going to File-Open thinking I must need to give it a ROM file, but when I open up the directory with the ROM, it's all grayed out and doesn't except it. I've tried dragging and dropping the ROM onto the executable too and got "The document "FFIII.smc" could not be opened. FF6 Tools cannot open files in the document format."

My OS is 10.11.5

Not sure what could be going on. Is there some additional library I need to go downloading? This machine I'm using is pretty ancient, but it's my only Mac.
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
You need the ROM to have file ending ".sfc" (not the common .smc)

Also it requires "Final Fantasy III [U] v1.0" headerless (no smc header)
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I decided to try making a browser-based version of FF6Tools and it's looking somewhat promising. So far, all it can do is draw maps (poorly), but I thought that's enough of a milestone to share.

blast.getforge.io/ff6tools.html

Keep in mind, it doesn't actually DO anything yet. It just draws the maps and writes a bunch of text to the javascript console. I'm planning to add map editing tools next, and then I have to figure out how to save the modified ROM.

Right now it only accepts v1.0 of the SNES ROM (without header), but I plan to eventually add support for all the other versions. It works on all the browsers I've tried it on so far (even my ancient PC running Windows XP and my phone!). Please let me know if anything breaks (and check for errors on the javascript console). I'm still super new to html and javascript so I'm sure it's riddled with issues.

Also please note that although you have to choose a ROM file from your computer, you're not actually transmitting anything over the internet. All the processing takes place on your computer. So there shouldn't be any copyright infringement issues.
  Find
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (01-10-2018), GrayShadows (01-09-2018), madsiur (01-09-2018), NPCnextdoor (01-10-2018), SSJ Rick (01-12-2018), Tenkarider (01-09-2018), Warrax (01-08-2018)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm really looking forward to this! To save a file, you can create a download link I think, except I'm not sure what the file path would be.. Accessing the filesystem (to save) with javascript cannot be done I think as it would be a security risk. See this answer: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2897...ave-a-file
  Find

Threads: 7
Status
None
Really impressive! Everything, do you intend to open the project on a public repo, like GitHub?
  Find

Status
None
Certainly! I'd love to find some collaborators too once I get a little further along. Anyone interested?
  Find

Status
None
I've made some pretty good progress. Check it out here. You can now edit the maps and move triggers around. Undo/redo functionality is working too. You can also save a modified ROM to your hard drive. I think I'll get the world maps working next, and then I'll focus some more on the triggers.

Once again, please let me know if you find any bugs or have any other feedback. I'm especially interested to know if the loading times are tolerable on other computers. The bigger maps load in less than 1 second on my computer, but if anyone has a slower cpu it might be a little bit painful. I've only tested everything on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Let me know if any issues come up on other browsers.
  Find
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (01-19-2018), Robo Jesus (01-18-2018), seibaby (01-21-2018), Tenkarider (01-18-2018)

Threads: 7
Status
None
I don't know if I'm doing it right, but the only thing I can do is to remove some tiles on Layer 1 or Layer 2, usually the tiles that are considered underneath the PCs and NPCs. I can't move tiles or triggers. I tested it on map #19 (Narshe: South Exterior (intro)).
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
I tested it and works properly, to select what to change you have to select the buttons on the extreme right of the screen

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
None
(01-18-2018, 09:24 PM)NPCnextdoor Wrote: I don't know if I'm doing it right, but the only thing I can do is to remove some tiles on Layer 1 or Layer 2, usually the tiles that are considered underneath the PCs and NPCs. I can't move tiles or triggers. I tested it on map #19 (Narshe: South Exterior (intro)).

Which browser are you using? Do you see the tileset on the right hand side of the window?

The 4 layer buttons above the map turn the layers on and off.

The 4 layer buttons above the tileset allow you to switch which layer you are editing.

Also, if you hold shift and click the map it will select the tile that you click. You can also click and drag to select a bunch of tiles.
  Find