Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
FF6Tools - Browser-Based ROM Editor

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-26-2017, 12:56 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: nah, i was wondering if he was using another OS(which actually is stupid, since probably it can't be opened at all in that case)

You are learning from your own statements, apprentice tenka ;)
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
That editor is such a tease! it look more complete and useful than FF3usME, someone need to port that to Windows.

I tried multiple ways to make MacOS 10 work on a PC via emulation and virtualization and there's always issues that prevent it to work. I also have an old mac using MacOS 9 but it cannot be upgraded to 10 so I'm out of options here...unless I can buy a cheap mac with MacOS10.

Does anyone have an image of a working MacOS10 on PC? (via virtualization), that would be awesome.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Status
Well-Fed
Hey, Everything, I was wondering -- is there any chance the source code is available? There's an official implementation of Swift under Linux now, and an open-source one under Windows, and I'd like to try building FF6Tools on them to see if it'll run.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Sure. Here's the most recent source code: FF6Tools Source Code

I just migrated everything to Swift 4. Hopefully the Linux version of Swift supports that. Let me know if it works!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • m06 (10-26-2017)

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-22-2017, 09:59 PM)Everything Wrote: Sure. Here's the most recent source code: FF6Tools Source Code

Victory
  Find

Status
Well-Fed
Ugh, yeah, no, we're definitely not there yet. XD You're using Cocoa, which makes perfect sense on MacOS but doesn't have any equivalent libraries on Linux, at least not that are compatible with Swift, as far as I can tell. And the Windows implementations are... lacking.

Find

Status
None
Bummer. I rely pretty heavily on Cocoa for UI stuff. I don't know much about cross-platform programs, but I would expect that the easiest way to get FF6Tools to work under Windows or Linux would be to run it in an OS X emulator.

I'm definitely interested in looking at other ways to make it more accessible to Windows users though. I think most of the underlying Swift code could be rewritten in C# or Java (or even C), but I'm not terribly familiar with UI programming other than Cocoa. Any ideas on how to make a cross-platform UI? Maybe something browser-based? I've never done HTML or anything, but it might be cool to learn.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-23-2017, 02:46 PM)Everything Wrote: I'm definitely interested in looking at other ways to make it more accessible to Windows users though. I think most of the underlying Swift code could be rewritten in C# or Java (or even C), but I'm not terribly familiar with UI programming other than Cocoa. Any ideas on how to make a cross-platform UI? Maybe something browser-based? I've never done HTML or anything, but it might be cool to learn.

For Windows, the C# UI stuff is either WPF / XAML or Windows Forms (no longer developed since 2008). I use WPF for my FF6AE editor. What is cross platform and really neat is Qt but you gotta use C++ with Qt custom types. It's like writing C++ in a different way. Qt is cross platform (Linux, OS X and Windows) but you gotta code more to be able to compile on all three OS.

As for a browser base app, it could be a solution if you make it working on at least Firefox and Chrome.
  Find

Status
Well-Fed
Qt, which madsiur mentioned, and GTK+ are the two really big cross-platform GUI libraries. Qt *may* have better MacOS support, but it looks like GTK+ made some real strides towards integration; Qt supports iOS and Android, but GTK+ supports HTML5.

That said, GTK+ is written in C, is also fully supported in Java and looks to have some pretty solid Swift support already, if possibly 3rd party support, whereas Qt is written in C++ making it (from everything I'm seeing online) more... difficult... to get working with other langauges. If, as you say, the underlying Swift code could be (easily?) rewritten in C, GTK+ may be the best library for your purposes.

ETA: I should mention that I don't actually have any experience BUILDING a UI, I just... read a lot of random coding stuff. So take basically everything I say with a grain of salt.

Find

Status
None
Hmm, this is becoming intimidating very quickly. I like the idea of a browser app using HTML5, but I doubt I'll get around to it any time soon.

As for rewriting the Swift code in C, it certainly wouldn't be easy. But I think it would speed up a few things that are currently pretty slow, like reading the event script and dialog. So that's a possibility in the near future.
  Find