Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Unbreakable

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
After thinking about it a bit more, I'm starting to feel like removing Glare from the enemies in the South Figaro Cave might be a good idea. The good thing about the Poison and Sleep status effects is that they can be worked around if you don't have the requisite healing Items, but it's a lot harder to do the same with Petrify. I think that might fix the worst of Nattak's issues in that dungeon while still keeping the positive elements. I feel like this is the real issue and that allowing the player to run faster would just be a band-aid fix.

Keep up the good work!

Confused Moogles FTW

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lockirby2 for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (07-26-2016)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(07-24-2016, 06:28 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: -Cave of South Figaro:
-I like how you can Steal status healing Items from the enemy that sets the status (Echo Screens from the Leafers, Antidotes from the Hornets).  I hope that trend stays consistent.
This will do.  I had intended to do this, at least until S.Figaro and Mt. Kolts.  Looks like my save got overwritten by having usME open twice Shrug
I don't feel that at the 1/3 chance dread, only on third turns, with only enough MP for one cast, is not too punishing, the problem is the lack of softs.  They'll be available for stealing and dropping in the next version.

I'll be adding the B-Button dash, and turning sprint shoes into "Berserker" relic, reminiscent of FFV, it sets auto Berserk, immunity to confuse, +2 Vigor +2 Stamina -2 Magic
  Find

Status
Double
Okay, that's sounds reasonable. I wasn't sure if Glare was uncommon or if I just got lucky (I only encountered those guys once, so it wasn't much of a test).

Auto-Berserk Relics are usually interesting.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Double
-Imperial Camp:
-Anything in the camp that isn't Kefka or Telstar gets owned by Invis Edges.
-Kefka isn't really a scary fight, but he can do something now.
-Telstar is nastier now.  I use my usual front row Black Belt strat there to take advantage of the Berserk status.
-I had to use Eyedrops if Sabin was blinded and heal more often if there were a couple soldiers out.  Sabin drops fast to enemy attack > counterattack > countercounterattack
-Shadow Skeans made sure Shadow stayed safe.

-Phantom Train:
-The formations with the Whispers and Hazers are weird but cool.  The Hazers are reasonably threatening, but if you whack the Whisper a bit they waste their time/HP healing it with Drain.
-You did nothing to nerf the Earrings? I'm surprised...
-When I saw Siegfried use Veil I thought it might be an actual fight for a second. Tongue I can't say no to the free Green Cherry.
-No clue what the Spectre can do. Possess FTW!
-Made sure to fight a Bomb formation in case it is still a useful Rage.
-Nice to have a dungeon full of undead for Sabin.
-The train itself is really easy compared to Telstar.  He is hit hard and his magical attacks don't really put much pressure on considering how slow he is.
-The only major worry is Berserk status from Evil Toot.

-Waterfall:
-Pirahnas are mostly unchanged.  Defend for a while and then kill the last one off.
-I'm not sure if you intend for Rhizopas to be bosslike, but I didn't need to heal at all and he barely depleted half my HP.

-Veldt:
-Got a few Green Berets and a heap of Gil, as well as some Potions while farming Rages.  I expect them all to come in handy.
-Elected to save the Gil for cheap Items in Figaro and the better upgrades to stuff after the battle in the snowfields.  I bought a Magus Hat though.
-Gau is practically unchanged (except the removal of broken stuff).
-I'm not used to this, since other than BNW and ROTDS, most hacks just nerf him into the ground and turn him from "bad if you don't know what you are doing and OP if you know what you're doing" to "absolutely worthless if you don't know what you're doing and sub-par (but occasionally saves the day) even if you do know what you're doing".
-Good news is that I don't have to figure out another set of Rages. Smile

-Serpent Trench:
-Vaporite Rage wrecks this place easily.  It hits a weakness on everything and absorbs Giga Volt (obviously Gau was the only person I let touch an Aspik).
-Why sell Mythril Pikes I can't use yet in Nikeah? You might as well remove it from the shop.

-Locke's Scenario:
-Surprisingly, still possible to take out the Heavy Armor.  It's not worth the two Potions though, so I reset.
-Just realized the Green Beret isn't equippable to everybody.  I guess it won't be the only headgear worth equipping for the rest of the WoB then.
-My usual strat for the basement (have Celes use Defend and protect Locke who can hit from the front row with complete safety) had to be twisted a bit to work here.
-Having a Black Belt through this part meant Locke was attacking like a ninja (since he was eating every attack). Doing Sabin's scenario first helps here.
-The increased chance of Desparation Attacks really kicked in here.  Since Celes was at low HP and always attacking she used one in every encounter.
-For the cave I switched Locke to the front as well and just went full ham.
-TunnelArmor mostly just ate some resources.  Still an easy fight.

-Battle @ Narshe:
-Still super easy.  My damage is reduced so it takes longer to kill stuff, but I don't feel like anything else was shaken up here.
-Kefka is still completely nerfed by Runic.

-Overworld to Zozo:
-The Drill description still says that it penetrates defenses when it doesn't.
-This is pretty much just a place for Locke to stock up on Items by Stealing.
-Gave Sabin a Genji Glove/Black Belt setup.  It doesn't do much more damage, but I'm not too concerned about safety right now.

-Zozo:
-Because Fenix Downs are crazy expensive, I now need to be very careful that nobody dies to Magnitude8 or a spell from a Slamdancer.
-I'm really starting to think that enemy physical attacks need a bump in power.  Especially everything at the Battle @ Narshe and beyond (Note from future me: Everything at the Battle @ Narshe to the Southern Continent, but not the Magitek Facility or beyond).
-I feel like the gap between "A magic spell from the Slamdancer hits everybody for 250" and "A physical attack from a Gobbledygak hits one guy for 20" is pretty large, even if Gabbledygaks tend to come in groups and the Slamdancer only uses the spell when alone.  It's 50 times the damage total!
-The issue with this is that some enemies require effort and strategy to deal with, then others seem like a waste of time.
-Slash is a lifesaver for the HadesGigas.
-Dadaluma can still be completely cheesed by Vanish acquired by Confusing a Gabbledygak.  He should probably do something to remove the Vanish at the start of the fight.
-I like that his Throw isn't completely OP, thanks to your changes to the Throw formula.
-Safe from Edgar came in handy here.  I also used Poison with Locke to avoid triggering more Throw attacks, and to work around Dadaluma's Safe (Locke was set up as a Thief, so his Fight wasn't dealing much damage anyways).

-Opera House:
-This hack's tendancy to make things take a long time to kill makes this timed segment fairly close.
-Managed to get use of the Lobo Rage of all things because I really just wanted physical attacks from Gau here anyways.
-The Vermin have such high magic defense that when I triggered a Mirager I actually did less damage. Tongue
-Against Ultros, I messed up and had Gau Rage Vaporite before putting him in the back row.  This cost me the first Fenix Down that I've needed to use all game.
-This fight shines a lot more because Ultros doesn't die in two seconds.
-Personally, I think Ultros casting Acid Rain on himself here just looks goofy since it heals almost nothing.

-Southern Continent:
-Again, a whole lot of nothing from enemy physical attacks, then Jokers start spamming Acid Rain and wreck the whole party.  These should be evened out a bit.
-Wind Slash from the Marshal Rage does nicely against the Y-Burns and RalpherZ.  Trillium is a lot better against the Jokers because it absorbs Acid Rain and hits their weakness.
-Confusing the Y-Burns for Cyclonic makes that battle a great deal faster.
-Blinding the Chickenlips pretty much incapacitates them.
-Maybe some of these weapons in the shops around here should teach things?  They seem rather useless to buy given that I'll receive far superior options shortly.

-Magitek Research Facility (first half):
-I can't help but feel like the dungeon would massacre a team of Cyan/Sabin/Celes/Locke.
-None of their attacks cut through defense, AuraBolt isn't an option, and Fire Dance isn't learned yet unless you're overleveled.
-This leaves only lousy options for offense:
    -Physical attacks that deal very little damage.
    -Slash, which has trouble finishing everything off.  And I don't know if it works against everything in there.
    -Spells from Celes, which will run her out of MP very quickly in this hack.  She can Runic it back, but some encounters have no spells to Runic, and this also takes forever.
    -Spells from other party members, who can't even restore MP without costing *way* too much money, and who won't have learned the spells at the start.
    -Procs from weapons and Desperation Attacks, which are obviously unreliable.
-I feel like this is too unbalanced (since Gau/Edgar/Locke/Celes have a much easier time in here) and that this team needs another magical attack to take care of the enemies in here.  Maybe Fire Dance should be learned far earlier than it is.  Or maybe you should reduce the Defense of the enemies at least a little to compensate for your other design decisions.
-That being said, with the specific team that I chose this dungeon works out pretty well.
-Either way, the boss fights in here are fine as it is. I'm only referring to the randoms here.
-Hazer Rage does well here considering the absence of Anguiform/Aspik (I didn't want to take the trip all the way back to the Veldt after the Serpent Trench).

-Magitek Research Facility (second half):
-I *really* wish I bothered to get the Bomb Rage for Ifrit.  Things would have been a lot easier if I had done that.  I still beat it on my first try, but I feel like I wouldn't have if Vaporite didn't use Blaze three times in a row.
-In hindsight, I really should have used Templar instead.
-When Shiva moves forward to the front to cast Reflect, she casts it on me instead of buffing herself.  This is obviously a mistake.
-The Generals will use Bio Attack on themselves for the rest of the battle after they use Cure 2.
-Number 024 works out nicely.  While in most hacks I just ignore the gimmick and just beat him down with non-elemental attacks, I did use Scan + Magic to some effect here.
-Brawler Rage still gives Gau some offense though.
-I can't summon Phantom before 128 like I usually do because I don't have the MP.
-The enemies on the Mine Cart Ride seem hilariously frail after the rest of the dungeon. Tongue
-Number 128 isn't too bad, especially since Safe from the Great Sword makes a huge difference here.
-Managed to net myself six Tents from a fight with four Command.ops.  Woot!
-With only eight Potions and eight Tonics after the rest of the dungeon, the Cranes fight was just barely doable (should have bought more Potions before coming here).
-Similarly to Mt. Kolts, I pretty much ran myself entirely out of resources (just one Tonic left after the entire Magitek Facility!).
-I had to redo the fight several times to stretch my resources that long, and even then all I had left was Setzer with double digit HP.
-I had Locke take advantage of the right Crane's Thunder weakness and low defenses to hit it hard with the Coral Sword.
-I like how a Crane has lower defenses so that you can focus it down before going into a war of attrition with the other.
-Once the right Crane was dead, I had to use Vaporite to kill the other one fast enough so that I didn't run out of resources.
-Templar doesn't work because Fire 2 is Reflectable, and while Bomb would be better because it absorbs Fire instead of being weak to it, I don't have it.
-Of course, Anguiform would just destroy in general, as usual.
-To get around Vaporite's Fire weakness, I summoned Carbunkle as the first Crane died.  To get around its undead property, I abused Lagomorph's free healing.
-As with Mt. Kolts, I notice that the difficulties here are mostly resource based.

-Before Cave to the Sealed Gate:
-I grabbed the Gold Hairpin instead of Mog.  I only use the lowest leveled party members at any given moment, which means that Mog wouldn't see use in the WoB anyways.
-Given that you haven't changed Dance much (as per the changelog), I don't think Water Rondo is much of a loss.
-Why would I ever bother attacking with the Rune Edge given your changes? It costs a ton of MP and it doesn't even hit for more than the Break Blade.
-Why can't Cyan use SwdTech with the greatswords?  I can't see myself using them in that case.
-I nabbed Sraphim and Golem.  I'll come back for Zoneseek when I have more cash.
-I feel like Chocobop should do more damage than 7-flush against multiple targets.
-I liked how in vanilla, 7-flush was better against single targets and floating enemies, but Chocobop was better otherwise.
-I feel like this change just makes it worthless.

Confused Moogles FTW

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lockirby2 for this post:
  • KnightDude (08-06-2016)

Status
None
Thank you so much for the detailed notes! It gives me a much better knowledge of what to change in upcoming versions. Speaking of which, I have a version v.02 up now which fixes a couple things you mentioned. You will 100% need version v.02 to get through sealed cave, because Kefka is OP in v.01 due to a coding error. Lich, Coelcite, and Joker are toned down a bit too and General targeting was repaired. The rest of the WoB bosses will spike up in difficulty.
  Find

Status
None
Version beta 0.03 is out!

Sprint Shoes are now Berserker (auto beserk +2 vigor +2 stamina -2 magic)
MP cost to critical weapons reduced from 12-17 to 5-8
Biggs and Wedge buffed
Pterodon does timed fireballs
Behemoth does timed Fire3
Added ice and water weakness to all scorpion types
Dadaluma now uses R. Polarity to shake things up, and is throwing knives again
Shiva properly reflects herself
Changed some monsters in southern continent WoR (so solo Celes can survive)
Fire Dance is available one level earlier
Drill description changed, fight the power!

omitted from .01 change log:
I made Break not dependent on instant death immunity. It has a few more applications than previously.
Summoning Espers are better too, they have adjusted power and cost relative to spells of their like.

Be sure to stock up on Tinctures for the Floating Continent, but stealing from the Imperial Air Force can also work.
You might want to use an additional save file after landing, just getting back to the ship is daunting.

Discussion:
Buffing mobs like Gabbldegak is on my to do list. After I've flushed out the major problems I'll deal with those minor adjustments.
I've done some play through testing with the Berserker. It actually is handy on some characters. It helps bridge the gap between full physical damage characters and double earring magic. I really like how the WoB stands right now, but I haven't spent as much time working on the WoR.
  Find

Status
Double
When is the Berserker available? My Sprint Shoes will turn into one and I want to make sure that I'm supposed to have it.

Don't worry, I always make extra saves just in case (although I generally don't need them).

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
It's available now, the new patch will work with your old saves, as long as the names on the save files match the name on the rom. The link on the first post has the current IPS patch, beta 0.03 and an updated changelog.
  Find

Status
Double
(08-09-2016, 11:32 PM)KnightDude Wrote: It's available now, the new patch will work with your old saves, as long as the names on the save files match the name on the rom.  The link on the first post has the current IPS patch, beta 0.03 and an updated changelog.

Sorry, I meant "When does the Berserker become available while playing the game?", although my first statement is technically ambiguous.  If it is a unique Relic that isn't available until the Floating Continent, for example, then I shouldn't be able to equip it yet.  If it is a cheap Relic available from the first time that I reached South Figaro, then I can.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
oh its a cheap relic from South Figaro.
  Find