Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Let's Hack FF6 Stream Megathread

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
After an embarrassing mistake using the wrong song ID holding us up for over half an hour last week... this week should be a little smoother. Here's the recent changes we'll touch on before getting to new things:
  • Expanded Music (Determination + 1 other)
  • Expanded NPCs, Event Squres, Small Exits, and Map Data!
  • other minor edits
Shouldn't take long to touch on those, if these are things you are interested in using in your personal hacks, come ready to take notes! I will be answering as many questions as I can.

After that, I plan to dive into one of a couple things, any one of these could take the whole night, so feel free to leave some feedback here before the stream to tell me which you want to see live. I could even set time limits and do a little of each.
  • Custom map making: mountain dungeon "Figaro Pass"
  • Lorial's Trance ability coding
  • Custom status coding: Advance (+physical dmg dealt/taken)
  • New Blitz abilities for Vargas
That's the plan, come on out! I hope to see you guys there.
  Find

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
I want to see a little map making, never seen anyone tiling stuff. I suspect my own method is not that smart/has silly mistakes, so I'm curious as to how others do it. So a bit of that for sure, and some of either Trance or Advance coding. Probably Trance because new abilities are sexy.

Also very curious to see the expanded stuff, this could be a big thing for future hacks, or even current ones. It's pretty exciting. Finally be sure to post a message in the shoutbox so that folks don't miss the stream. Looking forward to it!
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
Well, I've only done one other custom map, which was the Ancient Town, which is a single screen, and was done aesthetically. This will be a totally different ballgame, and I'm planning on taking a totally different approach. Honestly, the biggest thing I'm worried about is dealing with all the various tiles used for cliff wall that I will have to order properly to not look bad. If I could just color a wall and be done that'd be great, but i can't do that. But yeah, we'll see how it goes.
  Find

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
(07-07-2016, 11:49 AM)B-Run Wrote: Honestly, the biggest thing I'm worried about is dealing with all the various tiles used for cliff wall that I will have to order properly to not look bad.

If you mean the Mt.Kolts/Mt.Zozo tileset (outside), then yes it's indeed a nightmare. In fact a lot of the vanilla cliffs look horrible when you view them in ZoneDoctor. I did only one screen with that tileset for my intro and it was painful. There are patterns you need to get right.

In any case I look forward to what you have in store. Frog
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I'll also be hanging around B-Run's stream tonight while I work on scripting scenes for Figaro Pass and (maybe) beyond.

"The Mind that lies fallow but a single Day, sprouts up in Follies that are only to be killed by a constant and assiduous Culture."
- Joseph Addison, "The Spectator"  Confused
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 4
Status
Blind
This may not be the best place to put this, but how about a community twitch channel for hacking related streams? I suggest this for two reasons, that being that I know that a handful of us do or have done hacking related streams, and that I am quite reluctant to do any sort of modding on my own twitch....

Anyway, a FF6Hacking twitch account, and enough of us do stream hacking related things that we might be able to cover several nights a week, if the channel is used enough people will notice it, maybe grow the community some? Just an idea *shrug*
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
This Thursday on the hacking stream...

TRANCE EDITION!

After putting it off, and putting it off, and putting it off... I finally dove into Trance again to see if I could get my ideal situation: having Trance simply get Lorial to run a custom enemy script... and after a couple days of beating my head against the wall... I found the last piece of the puzzle and got my proof of concept working. Trance now runs enemy scripts. No more coding AI and lists and variables... Without even needing any extra RAM bytes I can dynamically set my targets, abilities, counters, conditional statements... EVERYTHING enemy's do! I will be showing you all how it works. Then I'm going to be doing some slight code edits so that she will load from a separate, custom list of scripts than the enemy ones so that I can do whatever I want with her.

It's time FF6 had a loss-of-control AI mechanic that was actually intelligent. Looking forward to seeing you guys on chat.

P.S. - My code, as it currently stands, would essentially make Gau run the enemy script for each enemy in his Rage list, so take notes if this appeals to you!

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
my 2 cents you managed to dinamically set formation battle events datas so that you are able to make the tranced character become an ally character manipulated from the AI you want.
I tried some time ago to do something similar, but until now i failed...  Sad

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
(07-14-2016, 01:26 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: my 2 cents you managed to dinamically set formation battle events datas so that you are able to make the tranced character become an ally character manipulated from the AI you want.
I tried some time ago to do something similar, but until now i failed...  Sad

Actually, I didn't even touch the event data, AND the game does all the legwork work, AND it doesn't require giving up a monster slot. It's actually surprisingly little code to get it started working.

Incidentally, I went back to a clean ROM to make sure my claims about Gau are true, and I'm a little misguided... There's some element that I must have already changed in the making of Trance as it was for my original demo that contributes... I still need to track that down, but it does totally work for Lorial and I can at least get you all pointed in the right direction. I may finish that up and release as an alternate rage patch if anyone is interested in the future, otherwise, I'm just going to get all the tweaks I need left for Trance done and stop there.
  Find