Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Celes portrait & sprite

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
Celes's default portrait always bothered me, so I set upon improving it through the wonderful FFse (thx Terii Senshi), and this is what I have so far.

Update:
[Image: ff6fanatic-ff6-celes-edit.png] [Image: ff6fanatic-ff6-celes-edit-portrait.png]

original:
[Image: 34sovlv.jpg]

Edit: here's a more conservative approach

[Image: 1hv9t2.jpg]
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
I do like your edit better. Until now I've never noticed how that extra dark lines/shading around her nose & face area there made it look kinda big and weird...

Status
None
Yeah it's like they wanted to add a side perspective to her face... you can just see the outlines of her right side (esp. the right eye). But the graphic didn't really support that kind of angle, so it looked weird. It troubled me for ages before I could put my finger on it. So I decided to make it a simple, straight profile pic.

I thought her forehead still looks kinda long/big so I made another with some hair covering it

[Image: 1zv96z9.jpg]

Still needs work, and I'm pondering between this one and the previous.

In any case it's barely an edit -- I mostly deleted the side perspective. But it looks better to me, so yeah.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
You might want to use pictures without filters (actual pixels) so spriters could help you polish stuff. Or upload a png extracted with FF3SE. Though I do prefer your edit, even if it's minor.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Status
None
(05-14-2016, 04:54 PM)Kugawattan Wrote: You might want to use pictures without filters (actual pixels) so spriters could help you polish stuff. Or upload a png extracted with FF3SE. Though I do prefer your edit, even if it's minor.

Err right, haha. Here

the original:

[Image: amukuu.jpg]

my take:

[Image: mru25u.jpg]

[Image: fcpn61.jpg]

I'm glad you guys enjoy it, I want to add a little shine to her earring next, maybe one of those pearls she has on her headpiece.
  Find

Status
None
Ok, about the portrait so I ended up using the first edit -- the high forehead reminds me of nobility, which kinda fits Celes IMO. As for the earring, I left it as it was; if I added detail, it distracted from her face and break up the balance. Some things are best kept simple.

Now as for the sprite...

My problem with it was the backview -- I never liked those blue things on her head.

the original

[Image: f20obq.jpg]

my take

[Image: 25z6jup.jpg]

Edit: tested it and it looks good. It's a ridiculously simple edit, yet it does wonders for me. I'll post the complete spritesheet when it's done.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
You're better off using the relm editor or usme, there is a chance that your image can get distorted when importing/exporting here and then using another editor, but if you're not going to be importing or exporting then don't worry about it

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
(05-18-2016, 01:56 PM)Poco Loco Wrote: You're better off using the relm editor or usme, there is a chance that your image can get distorted when importing/exporting here and then using another editor, but if you're not going to be importing or exporting then don't worry about it

Ah crap, I was just thinking it was so much better than FFusme for sprite editing. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I can still use it to experiment/ figure out how I want the sprite to look.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
its really up 2 u. i tend to use se more. and add in death/riding poses later using relm or usme. the sad fact is drawing sprites in them is over complicated sorry to disagree with u here ricky

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
None
I haven't tried relm, but FFusme really is impratical for editing sprites IMO.

In the spirit of "conservative edits", I'm trying a small tweak of Kefka, using the default colors. Looking at the original art he had a lot more paint on his face, the in-game model looks too clean.

original

[Image: 5vrqti.jpg]

1st attempt

[Image: 677gup.jpg]

Very minor as you can see. Suggestions are welcome, I'm still figuring a cool pattern for his makeup.

I also have a question about shading. This is the original pose:

[Image: 33465av.jpg]

I'm thinking this could be better (look at the sleeves)

[Image: 2uxxlbk.jpg]

Looks good to me but I have no idea how shading really works, so I thought I'd ask.
  Find