Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tutorial: Editing Compressed Graphics

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
The utility can be a bit iffy, I have enough trouble trying to simply open it these days with windows 10. I need to work with it via the Task Manager.
I'm not sure what the crash issue is about if you're following the correct steps, your settings there are okay.
Firstly you just load your ROM from the 'Open ROM' tab, then next thing you'd wanna do is input the Start and End like it appears you have, then simply hit the 'Copy to Buffer' to have the hex show up in the 2nd Image window, assuming you inputted the correct offsets it should show up there without crashing.

That error there you showed looks like you are trying to decompress the image? And it says 'path name is not legal'... did you choose a file name for it there on the 'Filename' tab first before hitting decompress? You need to first name what the file will be and where it will go, at least that's what my first guess would be with that error.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Afterglow
Oh okay, yes, I wasn't putting a file name on it, and I forgot to Copy to Buffer. Thank you.

By any chance do you know where the weapons (like the cards,darts, swords, etc) is kept? I thought it was weapon animation data between (2CE400-2CE6E7) but I can't make heads or tails of the decompressed data even after compressing it
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-17-2020, 03:47 PM)Mutteo Wrote: By any chance do you know where the weapons (like the cards,darts, swords, etc) is kept?

Those are non-compressed 3bpp graphics. They are located around $D331B8.
  Find

Status
Afterglow
(06-17-2020, 05:01 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 03:47 PM)Mutteo Wrote: By any chance do you know where the weapons (like the cards,darts, swords, etc) is kept?

Those are non-compressed 3bpp graphics. They are located around $D331B8.

So that's around 1331B8 then?  It certainly is like finding a needle in a haystack.  I could have sworn I found this stuff before.  I must be doing something wrong.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Like Madsiur said, they are non-compressed, so you can straight up view/edit them with yy-chr.
So with yy-chr go to around 1331B8 yes and you should see the spells & weapons gfx, make sure you are in 3BPP SNES graphics format. If they don't line up correctly at first keep clicking the + or - byte until they do.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Afterglow
(06-17-2020, 10:00 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Like Madsiur said, they are non-compressed, so you can straight up view/edit them with yy-chr.
So with yy-chr go to around 1331B8 yes and you should see the spells & weapons gfx, make sure you are in 3BPP SNES graphics format. If they don't line up correctly at first keep clicking the + or - byte until they do.

At first I had no idea what you meant, but I had no idea you could do that with the "+/-"  I just thought I couldn't find it. Thank you so much for explaining that to me.  I'm not really a coder, so a lot of this is new and strange to me.
  Find

Status
None
Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been discussed for million times, but where can I find monsters/espers graphics in the ROM? Tried to find them in YY-CHR, but couldn't. Are they compressed or in some specific format?
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
you use ffse to edit or view the monsters. its in the tools section, only use yychr to get at the background ones like kefka or the train etc

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Moog
(02-16-2021, 02:59 PM)MFS Wrote: Are they compressed or in some specific format?

The monster graphics are located from E97000 to ECE3BF, but they're diced and mapped tiles.  Not exactly compressed, but not in a format that is easily or comfortably edited in YY-CHR.

You'll probably want to use FF3SE (A graphics editor designed to handle both the tiles and the pointers)
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...util:ff3se

Or you can use Madsiur's branch of that same utility if you intend to expand the monster graphics (though I'm unfamiliar with the differences as I have not used this version)
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...l:ff3semod

EDIT: Ninja'd.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-16-2021, 03:09 PM)C-Dude Wrote: Or you can use Madsiur's branch of that same utility if you intend to expand the monster graphics (though I'm unfamiliar with the differences as I have not used this version)

If you use that branch, you'll need the following patch. Note that it won't give you as much free space as it should since in order to get more, you would need to expand monster data from 5 to 6 bytes to use completely the two bytes for monster GFX pointers. This means modifying FF3SE source code and making an ASM hack as well.

.zip  patch.zip (368.5 KB, 140 downloads)
  Find