Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Wiki Discussion

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I added a ton of info to the RAM map section. I split it up into sections for each part of the game (battle, menu, sound, etc.). This is all from my own notes, so I might be missing some stuff that others have figured out. Feel free to add/change as needed.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • m06 (04-03-2016)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-12-2016, 07:03 PM)Everything Wrote: I added a ton of info to the RAM map section. I split it up into sections for each part of the game (battle, menu, sound, etc.).

This is pretty neat! I'm glad the wiki is getting some good attention from you, Hatzen08, m06 and Lockirby2 (sorry if I forgot anyone...).

I'll try to continue the Dictionary and Algorithms sections today or tomorrow, there's tons of stuff we can add to that wiki, but I'll restrain from creating too much empty sections and I'll focus on what I've started.
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
So I've been adding some stuff to the wiki. I like having a wiki, I hope to say goodbye to my mess of documents.

When adding stuff I found how representing well known documented information, can be hard without ripping off some great text files written by people who discovered the information. I almost feel like credits should be given on the wiki, but I think that would cloud the point of the wiki. And I think the point of discovering information is to share it with others and not to claim ownership. After all the information will not change and once it has been given to you, it will be impossible to discover it on your own.

But I do want to show respect, anyone who has written half a document knows how much work it is to discover information, so thanks to: geiger, Yousei, Imzogelmo, Novalia Spirit, Evil Peer, Terii Senshi, assassin, Lenophis, Corundum, Cless, Lord J, Master Zed, Gau of the Veldt, Mnrogar, JCE3000GT, Angelo26, contributors of the wiki and anyone I missed and will add in an edit.

Also,
I have a problem with the sound effects @Madsiur
When I have added about 200 or so plugins to one page the loading gets a bit overboard. One solution might be hiding the players with a spoiler tag: https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:spoiler
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...m:list:sfx
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-03-2016, 10:12 PM)m06 Wrote: But I do want to show respect, anyone who has written half a document knows how much work it is to discover information, so thanks to: geiger, Yousei, Imzogelmo, Novalia Spirit, Evil Peer, Terii Senshi, assassin, Lenophis, Corundum, Cless, Lord J, Master Zed, Gau of the Veldt, Mnrogar, JCE3000GT, Angelo26, contributors of the wiki and anyone I missed and will add in an edit.

I feel the same way. Some people like Novalia Sprite have copyrights on their document (like the event bits list) so I think we should be respectful of not re-copying in integrity the list in a wiki page. However quoting or referencing some event bits would what I consider a "fair-use" of copyrighted material. I don't mind about giving specific credits on the wiki but everyone should be free to credit (or not) how they want.

All knowledge is based on previous one. This is a great debate in the patent industry. Should a certain discovery be 25% private and 75% public since 75% of the discovery was based on previous public knowledge? I think we can make a similar analogy to ROM hacking. Lots of things would not yet been discovered if disassemblies did not existed as an example.

I think the people you mention in the quote should have their name in a "thank you page" on the wiki Tongue

(04-03-2016, 10:12 PM)m06 Wrote: When I have added about 200 or so plugins to one page the loading gets a bit overboard. One solution might be hiding the players with a spoiler tag.

Yeah I'm not 100% satisfied with this plugin since first it is based on Flash and second the problem you mention. For now the solution you mention is good though I suspect even within a spoiler tag the players are loaded... I'll probably look into another solution or write my own lightweight one but for now we can keep this and try the spoiler way.
  Find

Status
None
(04-03-2016, 10:28 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I think the people you mention in the quote should have their name in a "thank you page" on the wiki Tongue

I like the idea of a thank you page, nice solution. I don't oppose putting credits as such on the pages. But for my sake I felt confused on how would be best to credit and I felt the credits would seem trivial and scattered. But then again maybe someone has a nice idea of how to do this.

I think linking to the original documents in the game specific docs is very good. Basic way of saying, this is where we got it!

Regarding the SFX. I think you can tell the mp3plugin to use html5 in the settings or something, there was an odd piece of text:
Code:
If you don't use “loop” and “autostart” - this plugin don't need for modern HTML5 compartible browsers because of DokuWiki native support for HTML5 tag <audio>. All you need is only delete “!” sign in “mp3 !audio/mpeg” string in conf/mime.conf. “Loop” and “autostart” features already requested
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:mp3play

I think the overhead is mostly from drawing so many flash players. I think they don't preload the audio and they are fatter then they seem. But ofcourse html5 is way better.
  Find

Status
None
(04-03-2016, 10:28 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Some people like Novalia Sprite have copyrights on their document (like the event bits list) so I think we should be respectful of not re-copying in integrity the list in a wiki page. However quoting or referencing some event bits would what I consider a "fair-use" of copyrighted material. I don't mind about giving specific credits on the wiki but everyone should be free to credit (or not) how they want.

I made a thank you page and added links to websites I could find.

I looked through a number of documents I have for copyright notices, I found Novalia Spirit, Terii Senshi and Mnroger all have copyrights, assassin also has on one of his docs. So it seems like a slickproductions thing. I do not have any docs written by Lenophis, only docs listing him as contribute.

I find it interesting that the most important documents (offsets and FF3Info) written by Evil Peer and Yousei have no copyright.

Evil Peer says in his readme: "When you contribute, other people don't have to waste time figuring out the same stuff."

I think we're all on the same ball here, I think copyright claimers perceived a threat of other people stealing their discoveries, mirroring the information as thieves. Absolutely something to consider but copyrights need to be enforced to work, so I don't see how it helps much.

But I did not write these documents so my opinion doesn't really matter.  I want to honour every word of the docs.

The copyright claims are all similar they state that the "document may not be used and/or reproduced, in part or in it's entirety" but only "without the author's advance  explicit written permission". I will go ahead and send e-mails to these four respectful hackers and request written permission to use their documents in part or entirety on the wiki. I hope for quick positive replies, but the net is vast and infinite.
  Find

Status
None
Terii Senshi is alive. I got a reply saying:
"If you want to use my ff6 hacking documents, that's fine with me."

So that's nice, I replied and thanked him.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-14-2016, 03:04 PM)m06 Wrote: Terii Senshi is alive.

Nice!

I sent him a email back in 2011 asking about a missing C++ header file in his FF3SE source code and had no idea how C++ work or what was a header file so I basically looked stupid and never got an answer :/

Edit: That is good news, especially for his AI documents (HTML and txt) as well as what is inside ff3info.txt
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-06-2016, 03:55 AM)m06 Wrote: The copyright claims are all similar they state that the "document may not be used and/or reproduced, in part or in it's entirety" but only "without the author's advance  explicit written permission". I will go ahead and send e-mails to these four respectful hackers and request written permission to use their documents in part or entirety on the wiki. I hope for quick positive replies, but the net is vast and infinite.

I think the copyright is more about "Do not host without permission and do not copy entirely and claim your own" and I respect both aspects. Geiger document all have a license that we can host his stuff and just give proper credit. I respect hacker wanting to keep some food for their own webpages, it's normal. In these cases we can link the page. I sent a email to most of people producing the docs we newly linked on the wiki but some of them did not replied if we could host a copy.

What is hosted was already in this forum threads or had approval somehow, at the exception of Novalia Spirit docs, which will be taken down once he reopen his page if that ever occurs.

As for disassemblies they belong to where they currently are, however taking extracts is ok like we usually do in threads.

Finally Evil Peer/Geiger is the same person I think.
  Find

Status
None
(04-14-2016, 03:12 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I sent him a email back in 2011 asking about a missing C++ header file in his FF3SE source code and had no idea how C++ work or what was a header file so I basically looked stupid and never got an answer :/

lol, these guys are too slick, careful with your questions. Reminds me of how imzogelmo only comments if the code is stupid and assassin bashes people for not referencing their excerpts. It's tough being these smart guys I guess.

Quote:I respect hacker wanting to keep some food for their own webpages
Maybe it's just the terminology here but this kind of view is really 90s old school to me. I feel like the internet is all about mirroring and having information available all around at different locations in different contexts. If we consider the RotDS webpage as an example, it has no unique (unmirrored) content, but that doesn't make it pointless. If not for the RotDS webpage we would have to go to romhacking.net to get the ips, youtube.com to watch the videos and ff6hacking.com for latest news etc. If Gi Nattack would not mirror stuff at these sites he would just be reducing exposure and accessibility. I am trying to make the point; We are in the early years of the information age and the way we use the internet is rapidly changing. This results in older ideologies such as copyright or distribution being constantly out of date in such a fast paced environment. I feel we should try to rely less on older ideals and leave it up to the integrity of the internet culture we participate in to have suitable morality.

Sorry to be so heated on this topic and ofcourse I take respectful copyright notices literally. Your interpretation of what they probably meant is also probably correct.

Quote:Finally Evil Peer/Geiger is the same person I think.
Well you're right on that I think. I remembered this when I was looking up the links, then I thought "but they are different personas in my mind" so I left them separated. Evil Peer is an FF6 fanatic while geiger is an incredible reverse engineer. This reminds me of Plato and Socrates where many people say/think Plato made up Socrates as a character to represent an ideal. This is based on the fact that Socrates never wrote anything down and Plato wrote most (if not all) that is known about Socrates. So Plato is at least responsible for the representation of Socrates. But I feel this doesn't matter at all, Plato and Socrates are different personas with different ideals, just like Evil Peer and geiger. Whether one person or two are responsible is beside the point, these are two entities.

Hope this isn't too much rambling. Thanks for keeping the conversation going Madsiur.
  Find