Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Wiki Discussion

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-14-2016, 08:51 PM)m06 Wrote: Your interpretation of what they probably meant is also probably correct.

Yeah I am speaking of the interpretation. I agree with most you've said, I'm myself a huge GNU supporter, a thing that was not the case 3 years ago, so free documentation and software (not free as "no price" but free as in freedom of use/copyrights and source released). However as you said I respect people putting "copyrights" in any form.

I'm don't even push my statement regarding "food for their website" as preferable but more something they want and we should respect that. However this can lead to documentation loss as well as work loss.

I myself got emails about my FF6A editor such has "I know you no longer work on this but could you implement X feature for me." Or another on like "I need the security question answer of the forum I want to download sprites." (whatever that means...) I sometime don't bother answering those though in 80% of the time I'll reply in a short comment. I can understand to some extent someone not wanting to answer an inquiry that seems like a desperate case.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
The general approach on Wikipedia is to quote the sources of your information in a list at the bottom of the wiki page. I feel that approach could be wisely used on our wiki as well. Host the original document if possible, and add a link to it at the bottom of the wiki page, otherwise just add a link to the document on the owner's web host.

Information and knowledge is free to be shared on the web. Things like copyright can apply to phrases, formatting and presentation of information. So it wouldn't be prudent to copy and paste a whole document into a Wiki page, but it's fine to write your own page with the information held in that document. In the case of many short comments, such as with commented code or offset lists, it's hard to argue that the content of the comments can be copyrighted since a comment is just a short descriptive statement, and the formatting or presentation is simply the most efficient way to display a list of items.

Lenophis' wealth of sarcastic code comments could conceivably be considered a copyrighted work, though. Wink

Edit: Speaking of the Wiki and code, I would really like to see a unified document of commented disassemblies where we can all pitch in and upload our own notes and benefit from each other's work. I have been using Assassin's C2 and the other disassemblies hosted at Slick Productions for the other banks, and even though those are amazing they are still woefully incomplete. Just a few days worth of exploring C3 have given me understanding and knowledge that wasn't directly hosted in that document. I suspect most of you other asm hackers are keeping your own versions of these documents, or at the very least are sitting on a wealth of notes that could be compiled into a grand unified document. If there were only a way to host something like that in a manner available for editing by anyone who wants to contribute...
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(04-15-2016, 09:53 AM)seibaby Wrote: Edit: Speaking of the Wiki and code, I would really like to see a unified document of commented disassemblies where we can all pitch in and upload our own notes and benefit from each other's work. I have been using Assassin's C2 and the other disassemblies hosted at Slick Productions for the other banks, and even though those are amazing they are still woefully incomplete. Just a few days worth of exploring C3 have given me understanding and knowledge that wasn't directly hosted in that document. I suspect most of you other asm hackers are keeping your own versions of these documents, or at the very least are sitting on a wealth of notes that could be compiled into a grand unified document. If there were only a way to host something like that in a manner available for editing by anyone who wants to contribute...

Yeah, I'd like something like this too, it's a lot of work though. But if someone starts I'll hop on board. I think it would be really cool to list the routines in a bank with comments and then have a page for each routine. Maybe it's too much, but I think the disassembly text files are a bit time consuming to navigate.

Quote:The general approach on Wikipedia is to quote the sources of your information in a list at the bottom of the wiki page. I feel that approach could be wisely used on our wiki as well. Host the original document if possible, and add a link to it at the bottom of the wiki page, otherwise just add a link to the document on the owner's web host.
Yeah, this could be used well, I'm not very good at this kind of stuff but if someone is up for improving sources, go ahead.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-15-2016, 01:18 PM)m06 Wrote: Yeah, this could be used well, I'm not very good at this kind of stuff but if someone is up for improving sources, go ahead.

I'm up to improving sources / credits. However, a wiki is not an essay so the wikipedia format cannot be applied to all the pages. Some info is also the continuous work of numerous of people since 15 years (thinking about the RAM map as an example).
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-03-2016, 11:46 PM)m06 Wrote: I think the overhead is mostly from drawing so many flash players. I think they don't preload the audio and they are fatter then they seem. But ofcourse html5 is way better.

Putting the mp3 as normal download link enables a nice Dokuwiki (or browser?) HTML5 player. Everything is perfect now, I will uninstall the Flash plugin.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • m06 (04-19-2016)

Status
None
(04-15-2016, 08:31 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Putting the mp3 as normal download link enables a nice Dokuwiki (or browser?) HTML5 player. Everything is perfect now, I will uninstall the Flash plugin.

Cool, works smooth here. 

I continued touching up the list. There are a number of indexes I couldn't find sounds for in the media manager.

Code:
$23 
$24

$48 
$49
$4a

$5c 
$5d
$5e
$5f
$60
$61
$62
$63

$83
$84
$85
$86
$8e 

$93 
$94 
$95
$96

$ca 

$d7 
$de 

$e0 
$e1
$e2
$e4 
$e5
$e6
$e7
$e8
$e9
$ea 

$f4
$fd 
$fe
$ff

Are these all unused or what's the story? (@Madsiur)
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
@m06: I'm pretty sure they are almost all there (except 2 or 3). Some of the filenames don't start with the sound effect hex value. I'll generate a txt document will all filenames to help, but it will probably go to Saturday or Sunday since it's my final exams week.

Paging @Lockirby2 to help maybe eventually with missing sound effects names?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I had a look at the archive I've got and there's a bunch of SFX missing, so is in the archive of Daemoth on VG SFX forum. I dunno why he skipped those when he recorded them. It was done in a lame way; make an event that plays a SFX when talking to an NPC with no music playing and record with the emulator. We could someday do the same for the missing one...

We could in the meanwhile label them with the help of this post.
  Find

Status
None
Nice list by Lockirby2, I'll paste it in.

Yeah, no rush with the missing ones, I just thought I'd put it here for reference. We'll generate them when time is abundant. Thanks for looking into this Madsiur.
  Find

Status
None
I got a reply from assassin regarding use of his documents on the wiki:
assassin: "sure, go ahead.  sorry for the delayed reply; i don't log in here very often, but do my share of lurking."

so I replied:
me: "Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! We all do our share of lurking Smile, keep up the good work."
  Find