Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
So you want to get into Programming?

Threads: 261
Thanks Received: 643
Thanks Given: 258
Status
Faith
Just a quick programming resources guide for anyone wanting to start coding. This is not specifically assembly related.

Books

Use methods in this order for a specific title:

1) http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
2) Search for "book title AND file:pdf" on Google.
3) if all fail, read this.

Courses

The are numerous place that give free course. Personally I never followed any but some people learn well that way. If I had to choose I'd probably go with something on edX, Coursera or MIT OC. For web coding orientation, a popular one is freecodecamp.

You can also check the self paced course list: https://www.class-central.com/courses/selfpaced

Reddit FAQs

Aside of their respective reddit pages, these FAQs and wikis are a mine of information and an excellent starting point:

/r/learnprogramming
/r/programming
/r/gamedev
/r/webdev

Ask a Questions / Forums

There are obviously more than this, but these are the good places someone could go to ask a question or get tutorials. I've never really frequented gamedev.net but it's recognized as a central place. Reddit community mentionned and other specific reddits could be an option too.

1) http://stackoverflow.com/ (questions, fast answer)
2) http://www.dreamincode.net/ (forum, tutorials, fast answer)
3) http://www.codeproject.com/ (questions, tutorials)
4) http://www.gamedev.net/index (Game Development)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (05-14-2016)

Status
Faith
I'm adding a source code compilation for those who would like examples of GBA and SNES utilities code. There's assemblers, tile editors, emulators, level editors, etc. There is also some 65816 ASM code examples (SNES folder). I'll add more GBA stuff when I'll do some classification on my PC.

Download (~150MB)

Utility List

** SNES **

beat [03]
Black Magic [a09]
brrtools [3.12]
Checksum Fixer
Dispel [1.0]
drdevtools
Event Disassembler [Lord J]
exhal [1.2.1]
FF Analyzer [Lord J]
FF3SE [TS]
FF4ED
FF6 Extract [Geiger]
FF6LE Rogue [2011-01-08]
FF6LE Rogue [2013-05-25]
FF6LE [2009-01-14]
ff6randomizer [2015-11-31]
Final Fantasy [clone]
HME
KDC Editor [1.13c]
LAZYSHELL [4.0.0]
Lufia 2 Editor
Lufia DevTools
MAPJESTER [3.18.4]
Metroid 3 [SRAM Editor]
MetroID [0.6]
Original Fantasy
Snes Basic Project
SNES SDK [r67]
SNES!
snesbrr [2006-12-13]
snescom [1.7.4.1]
sneskit [2009-06]
Zelda 3 [SRAM Editor]
ZoneDoctor [3.18.4]

** GBA **

Advance Palette Editor [1.3.3]
ARMIPS [0.8]
GBA Rom Fixer
INTRO Inserter
Multi tool C#
Nameless Sprite Editor [2.1]
Nintenlord
Nintenlord Tools
Nintenlord.Forms
NLZ-GBA
Tiled GGD
unLZ-GBA Replacement

** Assemblers **

64tass [1.51.992]
asar [1.36]
cc65
xkas plus
xkas [0.06]

** Emulators **

blargSnes
bsnes plus [0.73-2]
bsnes [0.65d]
higan [0.97]
mGBA [0.4.0]
snes9X [master]
VBA [1.7.2]
VBA [master]
VBA-M [1.8.0]
zsnes [1.51]
  Find

Status
Faith
I'm here to talk about free IDE and free software for students.

First the different free IDE. I'll only comment what I've used:

Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition
For anything .NET related. I'm a sold fan to VS.

Eclipse
I've used it for Java but it can handle other languages.

Netbeans
I find this one pretty convenient for anything web related (PHP, Javascript, HTML, etc.)

For a more extensive list, you can check here. I have nothing to suggest for languages such as Python or other ones since I've never coded in those.

Free student developer softwares

Three good resources to point for developers to get software and services:

Dreamspark (Microsoft)
Github Student Pack (various services)
Jet Brains (IDE & Extensions)

Licenses are usually good for 2-3 years or as long as you are a student. The Microsoft stuff is good as if you bought a life-long license.

Unreleated

Autodesk (free license on everything for students)

More can be found here: http://freestudentsoftware.com/

There's also discount that exists by companies like Adobe (all products), Mathematica, Matlab, Apple, Maple. In every case I've checked the discount was between 45% to 75% for students. Your university / college probably gives you licenses to download other software or have other discount on various stuff. Each school is different in that regard.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 47
Thanks Given: 22
Status
Distill-Skill
I'm using IntelliJ on the student license and it's great! I really like it.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Faith
(05-30-2016, 10:31 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I'm using IntelliJ on the student license and it's great!  I really like it.

I might try that for web development. DotMemory and Resharper from the same company are also really great for Visual Studio.
  Find

Status
Faith
Pondering with a project idea that may or may not get started, today I've lurked in the game development part of the internet. I've found a bunch of stuff that could be useful for anyone seeking direction on how to create a game or what to use to achieve your goal. Here we go:

Very Useful Links

Getting Started Guide
Amit's game programming Informations
Game Engine FAQ (reddit)
GameDev FAQ (reddit)

Interesting readings

What are good games to “earn your wings” with
How I went from knowing nothing about programming to being a published game developer

Subreddits

/r/gamedesign
leveldesign
unity3D and unity2D
GameAudio
/r/gameDevClassifieds

Ask a question

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 30
Status
None
Ah thanks! Will certainly need this one - Cheers!

Remember to use Omnislash in Remake Kungfu!
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
Here's my advice as someone's with a background in rom hacking that was taught coding and later self-taught himself 99% of what he now knows.

It is easiest to start programming if someone is cracking a whip. First enroll at your local community college and audit Intro to CS 1 and Intro to Python. These should give you the basics from which to learn anything.

Auditing a class is half price. Avoid debt, degrees are scams. Never take summer classes or shortened classes.

After that audit 2 classes in a language that will let you build GUI programs fast. Good candidates are VB.NET, C#, and Java. When you are done, make an editor and figure out how to dump data, write to files, read from files, store data tables, design a GUI, and link the data tables and GUI together. That is 75% of your workload, and you will get good at it.

That is how you get started. Give yourself a year of full time project programming before you move to the next phase. Work part time, move in with mom, leech off your girlfriend, do whatever it takes to get a solid 8 hours of programming a day. Your mind should ache from concentration when you go to bed.

When your year is up it is time to learn. I am currently waiting to begin this phase.

Master software engineering. Google SICP, download the PDF, and get reading. Do all assignments, read every page. If you can't figure it out after an hour, look up the answer and then step through it in a debugger. This is mostly here so you REALLY understand recursion and functional programming, and so you have exposure to pure logic free of syntactic bs. This will teach you how to think as a software engineer. It is used by MIT and other Ivy League schools, plus it is free.

Learn C. Acquire "The C Programming Language, 2nd edition". Read every page, do every assignment. Be aware that the critics of this books assumptions on safety and programming style are correct, and do not assume anything about C is safe. Always program as if the language is out to get you. This will be one of the hardest things thus far, but it will gain you a few levels as a programmer. Do not skip it, after this everything is easier. Some freaking big name school still uses this book.

Audit classes on data structures, JavaScript, and SQL. Data structs will make you a better programmer, especially if you implement them. JavaScript and SQL to pay the bills. You should be able to muddle through mobile app dev and server side scripting on your own. You should be able to pick up HTML and CSS almost automatically by now.

Google the Dragon Compliers Book. This book is like 2000 pages long and covers everything about compilers. Yes, it is relevant to your niche interest. It us used in junior and senior level (and masters) level classes at MIT, Harvard, and every big expensive school. Read every page, do every assignment.

Congrats, you now know more than most people with masters degrees in CS, and you did it in less time and with no debt. After this you can learn anything.
  Find