Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: Restored Ability Names (Update)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 8
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
(04-01-2022, 10:04 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: A question and a suggestion.

Question - is 1.1 support possible with this patch, or is there something we can do on our own if applying this patch to a 1.1 rom to make it work properly?

Suggestion - is it possible to move item names up in this menu, so they don't overlap the portraits? I'm not sure if it is, and it doesn't bother me as-is, but just an idea.

[Image: c06uHBd.png]

That's what we did for our Italian brave new world translation. Smaller box, moved up the item name and moved the char name as well (to avoid gogo/Gau Faceset overlapping). Sorry for my inhability in uploading images. If you want, we can share the needed code.

(thanks madsiur)

[Image: ArMlRFK.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-04-2022, 08:35 AM)Gens Wrote: Sorry for my inhability in uploading images.

Image uploading/embedding is broken, so you either have to use something like imgur and use the [img] tag or use the attachment option like you did.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(04-04-2022, 12:30 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: If I applied the wrong one, can I apply the other and it'll overwrite the relevant data that should not have been changed?

While I'm not sure, I highly doubt it - it's never usually the case.
One option could be to just apply Imzogelmo's Multi-Steal Fix, then apply the MS version of this Restored Ability Names, because it needs to be applied after Multi-Steal: https://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/patches.html
I think this would be okay to do, please someone correct me if I'm wrong and be sure to keep a backup. If you do not wish to apply the Multi Fix patch, then you could probably create an 'anti-patch', by patching whichever Restored Ability Names patch you applied to a clean ROM, then make a patch using that ROM as a base and another clean ROM as the 'modified' one, then a patch will be created that will restore just that data associated with this patch to how it was.

Looking at the readme, there is just a couple lines that seem to be all it is for the MS version:
  *In Imzogelmo's Multi-Steal Fix:
   C1/601A is moved to C1/5FD8
   C1/6031 is moved to C1/5FE0

You could manually adjust the bytes back, though I'm not 100% sure at the moment without testing if this is in fact all that is taken into account for the MS version, or what exactly reverting this entails... hopefully someone else or SilentEnigma can confirm this or maybe just list exactly what is needed to be reverted to make it the non-MS patch, if it's not too much. Not to sound like a broken record, but it's extremely important to always check out the readme and if there's multiple patches included, make real sure you know which one you should apply... it's 2022 after all, the days of not knowing what exactly a patch does and/or which patch to use should be over lol. Though mistakes happen, and I've certainly done it as well... I'm looking at you every one of Leet Sketcher's patches!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Late to read and response, but you're correct - applying the Multi-Steal Fix, and then the MS-compatible version of this, seems to have fixed things. Thank you Smile
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(04-04-2022, 08:35 AM)Gens Wrote: That's what we did for our Italian brave new world translation. Smaller box, moved up the item name and moved the char name as well (to avoid gogo/Gau Faceset overlapping). Sorry for my inhability in uploading images. If you want, we can share the needed code.

Hi Gens,

Nice! That looks better than I thought it would, at least with that window style.
The "y" in Green Cherry will still intersect a bit, but it's a solid improvement.

Yes, I would appreciate a look at the code for it. I don't know about you, but for me, modifying windows is always like finding a needle in a haystack... Hmm

Again, I think it would make sense for this to be available its own patch -- it applies to vanilla FF3us, and there seems to be a lot of interest in the mod.
You can certainly do the honors! Otherwise, any opposition to me releasing?

Status
None
Well... i think i'll do a separated post for it. I want to share another menu modification (purely aestethic) that will probably become canon in many project. I'm not the hacker behind this. Hacking on my translation is made by Ryo_Hazuki, a member of the romhacking.it community that translated Super Metroid.
  Find

Status
None
(04-10-2022, 09:37 PM)SilentEnigma Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 08:35 AM)Gens Wrote: That's what we did for our Italian brave new world translation. Smaller box, moved up the item name and moved the char name as well (to avoid gogo/Gau Faceset overlapping). Sorry for my inhability in uploading images. If you want, we can share the needed code.

Hi Gens,

Nice! That looks better than I thought it would, at least with that window style.
The "y" in Green Cherry will still intersect a bit, but it's a solid improvement.

Yes, I would appreciate a look at the code for it. I don't know about you, but for me, modifying windows is always like finding a needle in a haystack... Hmm

Again, I think it would make sense for this to be available its own patch -- it applies to vanilla FF3us, and there seems to be a lot of interest in the mod.
You can certainly do the honors! Otherwise, any opposition to me releasing?

I updated the thread with a new ips (the first release uses free space, potentially used differently in other mods) and i added the asm to the package.
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Gens for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (04-17-2022), madsiur (04-19-2022), SilentEnigma (04-17-2022)

Status
Enlight
Just to close the loop, here's the link to the new patch released by @Gens, "Slim Boxes":
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-4196.html

Looks great. Thank you!

Status
Enlight
In a much-needed tuneup, the hack has been updated to version 2.0.

What's new:
  • Previous "Basic" & "Full" variants merged
  • Class name placement mod relegated to an addendum patch
  • Added Blitz Screen by Leet Sketcher
  • Added item description expansion patch from the Description Expansion Megapack (i.e. Tool descriptions restored to their original glory)
  • MP cost display added in upper right corner for the Esper list, similar to the Magic spell list
  • Miscellaneous ability name corrections after comprehensive review
  • Reverted a few out-of-scope tweaks from the earlier patch
  • Replaced more old terms in the dialog script, item descriptions, etc.
  • Patch now updates enemy special attack names
  • Added patches for unheadered ROMs
  • Improved documentation
Enjoy!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (05-05-2022)

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
If we've already applied a previous version of this patch, can the new one be applied to the rom without issue?
  Find