Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
Patch:      Custom Items 1.1
Target:     Final Fantasy 3, version 1.0, english, with header
Download

In the original rom, items are hard coded for its original purposes and can't be edited without assembler modifications. This patch changes how specific items are handled and allows them to be more customizable.

The changes are:
  • Tools items are associated with spells and they can be edited.
  • Skeans items are associated with spells and they can be edited.
  • Items now can be edited to trigger spells, with automatic targeting.
  • Items heals hp or mp in the value range of [0, 9999] instead of [0,255]. It works inside and outside battle.
  • With few exceptions, the conditions for items use was abolished.
Unfortunately, the game system has a poor design with too low versatility. Because of it, there are restrictions about the creation of new items. The recommendation is to only update the tools, skeans and healing hp or mp items. The other items should be left untouched.

It is possible to create new items but a few conditions must be fulfilled because of hard coded features. Each item type or specific item can have its own peculiarity. Please, consult the document in the file for more details.
  Find
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • Badass (02-08-2016), Gi Nattak (02-08-2016), Kugawattan (03-14-2016), ReturnerScum (02-11-2016), Robo Jesus (10-05-2016), SSJ Rick (03-26-2017), Warrax (03-24-2016)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Paging @Kugawattan

Hooray for having more flexibility on this, the hardcoded Items seemed like a pain to work with.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 47
Status
None
Nice patch, this is really useful. Are you saying that the expendable items shouldn't be edited for any reason, except for the HP/MP healing ones? I'm wondering if someone shouldn't make extra shields, etc. from those item slots if you know anything special about the game system.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Most of the consumables have hardcoded overworld effects.
  Find

Status
Auto-life
Quote:Nice patch, this is really useful. Are you saying that the expendable items shouldn't be edited for any reason, except for the HP/MP healing ones?

They can be edited. However, it is possible that the items have hard coded features implemented on them and they can't be removed without assembler modification. You can think as if specific items have a special behavior, different from the common behavior, like a exception.

Rename card triggers the rename screen window. Tent availability is determined by the save points and also triggers a cinematic when used. Warp stone availability is determined based if the user can escape the dungeon, etc. All these features are hard coded by the item identifier and not the item data.

Based on whatever item you want to create, you should be careful about what item you want to replace with a new one. If there is no hard coded features, any item can be edited. Unfortunately, those hard coded exceptions are scattered in the game system and are difficult to track or predict.

The easy way is to edit only the most common items. Special items, like rename card, tent, warp stone, etc, should be avoided. But you can always edit them and check if they work as intended. Just take in consideration that these hard coded features may or may not appear in your new items.

Quote:I'm wondering if someone shouldn't make extra shields, etc. from those item slots if you know anything special about the game system.

You can do it, as long as you take in consideration the hard coded features of the new item.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • ReturnerScum (02-14-2016)

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 47
Status
None
Ugh, so glad rename card was edited by GoGo13 already for my hack.  Would rather die than waste that item slot.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Excellent! I can't believe this somehow got past my radar. Must have misread the title as "I made custom items, here's a patch for those that want it."

I'm wondering, I've already patched your custom tools patch. Does it conflict with this one? Both seem to allow you edit tools. At first glance it doesn't seem so, but never hurts to be sure.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Status
Auto-life
Quote:I'm wondering, I've already patched your custom tools patch. Does it conflict with this one? Both seem to allow you edit tools. At first glance it doesn't seem so, but never hurts to be sure.

They aren't compatible. The custom items patch aggregates the custom tools patch with another features. However, both can customize the tools items.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Sweet! Is there a custom tools anti-patch? 'Cause I don't have a backup from before applying that patch. Silly me.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-15-2016, 08:21 PM)Kugawattan Wrote: Sweet! Is there a custom tools anti-patch? 'Cause I don't have a backup from before applying that patch. Silly me.

You can make one:

1) Apply the patch to a clean ROM.
2) Create a patch with patched ROM as original ROM and a vanilla ROM as modified ROM.
3) Apply the patch to your hack
4) Profit!
  Find