Users browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)
Pony Fantasy VI Remake

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-24-2016, 03:39 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: I'd just like to vent on how intensely frustrating it is that exporting to try and edit in Paint and then importing back screws up the colors.

FF3se fill its palette from top-left to bottom-right. You can draw your palette in the order you want on the first 15 pixels of the 1st row.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • DrakeyC (01-24-2016)

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Really? Okay, let me try it.

I love you, you beautiful, beautiful man.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Chicken
Well this is unexpected, neat to see someone tackling this again.
Pony Fantasy 6 was the first FF6 hack I played, and it's the reason I even found out about this site. (And by extension the Insane Difficulty site.)
And I was sad that it never made it to version 2.0 because I liked the look of some of the planed changes like drain attacks not being effected by how much HP something was missing, and the chainsaw would have a chance for a 4 hit attack instead of the instant KO chance.
One of the things I liked about the original PF6 was a lot of the gameplay changes, like only unicorns and alicorns could cast magic making it feel like a more unique skill. (Pinkie Pie as Gau was super fun OP.)
I'm looking forward to when you can finish this and seeing what gameplay changes are in store for everyone.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to A Dummy for this post:
  • DrakeyC (01-24-2016)

Status
None
Well, I'll say off the bat I'm not gonna limit magic. Everyone will have magic as in FF6. However, there will be a story explanation (the Espers) for why the earth pony and pegasi characters can use magic.

Magic is also going to be heavily nerfed. Universally, MP costs will be higher, MP growth for characters will probably be lowered, and spell learn rates, especially for the later-game Espers, will be lower.

Two specific things I'm gonna do is heavily nerf Osmose (1 MP for an MP refill is absurd) and removing Ultima from the Paladin Shield and moving it to Crusader (ie, you have to be deep into Kefka's tower to get it) so you can't Ultima Spam your way through. I also plan to make Espers more powerful, but also costing more HP, so they're more like traditional FF summons.

On the buff side, though, I plan to make later-game spells more accessible (Valigarmanda is the only way to get the Tier 3s? Nah), and equipment pieces will teach spells so you have more ways to expand the spellbook.

A couple minor things, I feel derpy for not being able to figure them out.

- Where are Swordtech and Tool powers found and modified?
- The message "Mastered a new dance!" for Mog doing so doesn't seem to be in the small dialogue. Is that just something you can't edit?
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Chicken
That sounds like it will be fun as well, it always bothered me in vanilla there wasn't any way to learn ice 3 or bolt 3 besides just from Tritoch.
I always like the sound of magic being made into a bigger deal, making each spell cast more meaningful instead of something that's supposed to be spammed every turn. And yeah, everyone getting to use magic also makes sense because of the espers.
I also remembered another thing I liked from PF6 was the changed spells like Freeze instead of Quarter and Cure 4 instead of Regen. Is there going to be anything like this in your version?

I don't want to sound like I think you should make this into an exact copy of PF6, honestly I'm looking forward to seeing your own take on this, I think I'm just getting a bit excited because PF6 was the first FF6 hack I played, and it's the reason I'm even here in the first place.

I think my one request would be to not use quite so many brony memes, which I guess is already covered by the fact that you stated that you want to make this fun for everyone and not just for bronies.
  Find

Status
None
Possibly. It honestly depends on how difficult it is. At a glance into the editor, I could easily rename Quarter to Freeze and change its effects, but I'm not sure how to change the animation.

As for brony memes, I'm using them sparingly and when appropriate. The dancer talking to "Gerad" in Nikeah, instead of complimenting his looks, says of "Solaris" that "Her wings are so pretty," and Discord calls Sombra "Sombrero" on the Floating Continent when he's taunting him. But it's definitely not overdone or forced, at least not in my opinion

Also - Derpy is in. I won't say where. I won't say how. I'll just say that it is glorious.

Okay, I'm gonna need to know how to change field palette via Hexed. No way around it.

Also, I notice Palette 7 is all white. Is there a reason in-game or is it just never used and thus is okay to use?
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Field palette has to be changed via event, when the character is created (given stats/name/palette/etc) there are several threads describing this process however, so it shouldn't be hard. Forgive me for not posting a link directly but some searches will turn up results.

Keep in mind, palette 6 is effected by events, and will change during certain times. If you plan for this (making sure that character isn't there for the events) or make other adjustmemts, then you might get away with using it. Palette 7 you may be able to use safely on the map, however, OAM data (such as save screen, shops, character select) is not built to go that high. You will also not have a matching battle palette. Might be fine for a npc, but will take some creativity when it comes to matching it on a PC without some unsightly graphical issues.

Course, I've never actually used either palette myself. Going off memory and what I've read. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Other than that, just don't get ahead of yourself. Learning as you go is great, as long as you accept the fact your learning (course so is everyone else for that matter, or should be at least.) Don't let it stop you if something is beyond your current skill level, keep at it, and you'll knock it out.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the tips. Smile

Also, is there a way to give NPCs that use generic sprites, specific sprites? Like say, Lola uses the generic female NPC sprite, can I give her a specific one?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
You can give n npc a uquqe sprite if u sacrifice one for it, nostley...

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
i meant to say you can do whaat u said b4 and use a staatic sprite and expnd it and make it ful and put the static sprite there. or sacrifice some other NPC

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.