Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: Selectable Script

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Question for Hatzen08 or anyone. I've been using your Rage & Sketch Expansion patch for a long while; yes, I actually take the time in FF3USME to give each monster 4 different attacks using the control list (since battle & specials are part of the natural algorithm.) This works great for rage & sketch, but I can't figure out how to make the monsters use the control list attacks ON ME instead of their own few, predictable attacks. Am I misunderstanding the selectable script patch, or will it auto-change the monsters' behavior to use the control list attacks & magic?
  Find

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
Quote:Am I misunderstanding the selectable script patch, or will it auto-change the monsters' behavior to use the control list attacks & magic?

The 'selectable script' patch will allow the manual setting of two modes for monsters: Colosseum mode and normal mode. In the normal game, the mode setting is automatic. With this patch, a bit in the monster data is used to manually determinate the mode. 

In the normal mode, the monster AI script will be used to determinate the monster attacks. Unless under the effect of muddle or a special status or pseudo-status, the control list won't be used.

In the Colosseum mode, the control list will be used to determinate the monster attacks and its script will be ignored. It is the normal procedure for the Colosseum.
  Find

Status
None
Using this patch, I've never seen a monster use the Battle or Special commands. All they do are the 4 choices from the control list (assuming Battle & Special aren't selected as any of the control commands.) They don't use Battle or Special when muddled either. It seems to remove those from the monster algorithm entirely, at least as I've seen so far. Isn't that pretty much a game-breaker?
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(09-25-2019, 01:06 PM)Dev J Wrote: Using this patch, I've never seen a monster use the Battle or Special commands. All they do are the 4 choices from the control list (assuming Battle & Special aren't selected as any of the control commands.) They don't use Battle or Special when muddled either. It seems to remove those from the monster algorithm entirely, at least as I've seen so far. Isn't that pretty much a game-breaker?

It does remove them; they'll only use them if "Battle" or "Special" is set in their control list.  That's probably why you're running into trouble, since you used that Sketch/Rage overhaul that uses the control list too; you either need to give the monster one or the other (or both) or have it be a non-physical attacker.

Alternatively, you can write traditional combat scripts for monsters that don't have the Battle or Special spells in their control lists and set them to read it with the Special flag.  The only advantage Collosseum mode has is more script space (since you can have monsters without scripts) and being able to randomly pick from four spells instead of three.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Dev J (09-26-2019)

Status
None
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be my complex, goofy rom configuration with its myriad of patches & tweaking that was responsible for the monsters not using Battle or Special. Turns out it's this patch that causes that. It's not acceptable to me because I got used to Rage Expansion's ability to let me use 4 diff spells for every monster, with Battle & Special added automatically as part of the algorithm. I thought it would be nice to add this patch too and get rid of the sometimes-annoying monster scripts, which I have to edit every time I change a monster's control list. But w/o Battle or Special being used, it just ruins the experience for me. Great patch to save space, though.
  Find

Threads: 47
Status
None
Hi. Something went wrong with my header rom. I just copy paste the code from txt to asm, but it said

error: patch.asm: line 29: warnpc() value >=pc [pc=c20134] [warnpc $C20134]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-05-2022, 04:35 AM)doofenH Wrote: Hi. Something went wrong with my header rom. I just copy paste the code from txt to asm, but it said

error: patch.asm: line 29: warnpc() value >=pc [pc=c20134] [warnpc $C20134]

You're using asar assembler right? This error means the custom code is overflowing after $C20133, I'm not sure why it would trigger this error if you're using asar and the asm file provied in the download link.
  Find

Threads: 47
Status
None
(04-05-2022, 08:21 AM)madsiur Wrote: You're using asar assembler right? 
....No. Using it for the 1st time now. Reading xkas.html imports & exports but, I'm not getting anywhere with it.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
tbf, that code should compile with xkas 0.06 and if you count the number of bytes, it stops at $C20133, so it shouldn't trigger the warnpc. You can always remove it to test the patch so assembly should succeed.
  Find