Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy 2/4 graphics editing...

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Mini
Howdy guys!

I've been perusing the interwebs lately in my quest to fiddle around with some of FF 2/4's sprite and portrait data. I'm trying to redesign some characters and add some originals in the game.

Anyhoodle, I'm trying to edit the sprites in YY-chr, but I'm not sure what pattern is best to view/edit them in... so I might switch over to tile layer (because it let's me assemble the tiles into a pose for easier editing.)

....aaaaand then, of course there is the portrait data, which I believe I just found the offsets to.

I guess my question is, does anyone have any advice, or know of an easier way to go about this? I saw over on the slickboards forum that Madsiur was starting up on an editor, but I'm not too sure on the status of the project. lol.

"Find the crystals? Save the world? ...Who even was that guy?!"  Shrug  

http://rjenyawd.deviantart.com/

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
The project is stopped until I get my (long) top priority list cleaned up. I did not look into portraits and I was starting with monsters.

Speaking of Slick Forum, all the knowledgeable FF4 folks hang out there. It would be the best place to start. A quick search for "portrait" in the FF4 forum there led me to this:

Code:
688D0-689CF    Character Portrait Palette Data
ED5C0-EEF3F    Character Portrait Graphic Data (3 bitplanes, composite, 384 bytes per class id)

This means the graphics are 3bpp in YY-CHR. Some FF4 graphics (well monsters is all I know) are in 3bpp. I'm not sure either if the FF4 portrait graphics follow a top-left to bottom-right tile pattern or if it's a weird one like FF6. Again if you got more complex question, it might be a better idea to ask there.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Rjenyawd (07-11-2018)

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Mini
Awesome! Thanks madsiur!

The portraits are in 3bpp. THATS why I couldn't find them. The sprites are in 4bpp. lol. Thanks again!

"Find the crystals? Save the world? ...Who even was that guy?!"  Shrug  

http://rjenyawd.deviantart.com/

Find