Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Steam Version

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-12-2015, 02:09 PM)catone Wrote: It's plotting on you I promiss. Never trust Steam either, its a cloud.

I was gonna do a joke, but when you consider the CIA and FBI are actively infiltrating online gaming communities, I wouldn't be surprise if the NSA use Steam and other gaming platform as a tool to spy (they can surely spy without it, but who would refuse an extra way of achieving what you want).
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Libra
The new character sprites are what almost destroyed the FF6 ios release (i mean i finished it almost 100% anyway because its ff6 but thats not the point XD) for me and now they are using them in the pc release too... i guess an upside is then formal they imply which grants alot of room for custom spriting

cant find the *edit* button, i meant "the format"
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Well, for those who might know a bit more about this than me, all of the graphic files in FF5 are of type .dat (which makes sense), and they all start with

Code:
ICP(series of command codes)PNG

Most of the first few lines are partially encrypted as well, but stuff that isn't appears to be colorspace info (sRGB), gamma correction, and other things you'd expect to see in a PNG header.

That's why I'm pretty positive that the files are some sort of encrypted PNG. I tried searching for the specific header, but Google has no info.

Never mind; it appears the formats have already been broken.

FF5 - http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-26815.html
FF6 - http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25489.html

I would assume if it's possible to get the graphics out, it's probably possible to get them back in again.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Mini
Quote:Never mind; it appears the formats have already been broken.

FF5 - http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-26815.html
FF6 - http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25489.html

I would assume if it's possible to get the graphics out, it's probably possible to get them back in again.

HOLY MALT BALLS! This is awesome! If you read the rest of that post, someone already extracted the image files, and put them up in a megaupload. The character sprites are all there, and as a .bmp they are indexed at 256 colors. Each character has all of their animation poses in one file. No more palettes. No more sprite assembly. Just a different sprite for each pose.

For example, here is Locke's .bmp file:

[Image: char01.png]

Assuming we can figure out a way to import them (while keeping the filenames the same, so Steam's archive update doesn't have a heartattack and erase the changes) ....WE CAN SPRITE EDIT THE BAZOOZA OUT OF THIS VERSION.

SORRY FOR ALL THE CAPITALIZATION AND MADE UP EXPLETIVES, BUT I AM REALLY EXCITED RIGHT NOW.

DarkPhoenix, THANK YOU for the find and direction to the thread.

"Find the crystals? Save the world? ...Who even was that guy?!"  Shrug  

http://rjenyawd.deviantart.com/

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-15-2015, 09:35 AM)Rjenyawd Wrote: as a .bmp they are indexed at 256 colors. Each character has all of their animation poses in one file. No more palettes. No more sprite assembly. Just a different sprite for each pose.

Indexed image = palette Smile

Edit: Maybe the flb file extractor make them as indexed png/bmp but a color limit usually means there is a palette.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Indexed would equal palette in some form or fashion, but would it not be possible to load that palette directly from the sprite on the fly? As in the palette would actually only exist in RAM?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Mini
Dangit, Madsiur, stop ruining my dreams with your logical realities. Hit

I'm hoping the extraction indexed it by default. Even if it didn't, a 256 color limit is easier to deal with than a 15 color one. Right?

"Find the crystals? Save the world? ...Who even was that guy?!"  Shrug  

http://rjenyawd.deviantart.com/

Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
From the form I found the utilities on, it appears the original image format is palette-indexed PNG, which means 256 colors will be the max.

But you want to know the really odd thing? People like to throw around "God, this looks like it was designed in an RPG Maker", but this restriction, with this particular color background, and this sprite layout is almost a dead ringer for the sprite requirements of RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003. SE, this is probably not a good thing.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I'm looking at the Steam page for the game right now and considering a purchase. They haven't announced a price yet AFAICT but I'm assuming it'll be around $15. I'm just amazed that, according to the requirements, it's 950 MB of game files. What the hell is taking up so much space, if the graphics assets are mostly 256 color sprites? Mp3 music? I bet the main exe is bigger than the whole SNES ROM, even excluding the Steam libraries. /rant
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Wow, that's... they had to have added straight up hd video cutscenes to hit that size of a download.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find