Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Steam Version

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I wouldn't figure it to cause any issues as it should have any requirement forcing it to share anything, but who knows how they reworked mtek to work.

The other obvious test would be 4 characters in mtek. Course even that should work just fine, the real test would be what happens if 1 party member has the status and the rest do not. Are they all still given the graphic?

I don't expect those to have answers, I just have to wonder if they reworked the system properly or just left the code to run as is.

Seems I no long have the ability to edit my jacked up post...

Anyway, the other thing I have to wonder. If molds are tossed and no vram issue, gotta wonder if that leaves the option of multi-pose monsters. As in the monster sprite having a regular pose, and an attacking or hit pose. Course even the snes could switch sprite mid fight I think (the painting boss) but I'm talking more than one special case type thing.

And of course, the concept of 5 battle characters. Not saying practical or gonna happen tomorrow, just have to wonder improbable or impossible.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-31-2016, 03:11 PM)Catone Wrote: Seems I no long have the ability to edit my jacked up post...

Hmm, that might be again a permission problem. I'll check this.

(01-31-2016, 03:11 PM)Catone Wrote: If molds are tossed and no vram issue, gotta wonder if that leaves the option of multi-pose monsters. As in the monster sprite having a regular pose, and an attacking or hit pose.

That definitely something I'd like to see happen. Better learn x86 ASM!

Unrelated but related, I won't call it "final", but this is pretty much the most I could cover up in a short period. Not 100% of possibilities have been covered, this would be easier to do with a editor, only one or two specific tests have been done per data type, but now there's enough to worth starting coding one: http://madsiur.net/rom_map.txt
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
With those several listing along the lines of "goes beyond snes data" and "possibly extended GBA data",

Kinda feels like a stupid question but was there any new content added to the android or steam versions beyond the GBA version? If there was I doubt it would be added to the ROM directly, maybe some slight modification to make new code work along side original data. I would think anything "new" would have been done in the new files/code.

Guess the question is, has anybody actually played this thing from the outside or just chewed on the code? Personally I couldn't even play the 3d version of FF4 because of the look, and it still made my eyes bleed less.

I'll stop dis'n the sprites now, but yeah IS there actually anything new or did they slack off on new stuff same as they did with making the code secure?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-31-2016, 08:19 PM)Catone Wrote: With those several listing along the lines of "goes beyond snes data" and "possibly extended GBA data",

The end of data invoving pointers is hard to tell by just looking at a hex editor, best you can do is tell the beginning of last entry. Same goes for data without pointer that should logically be expanded (Exits as an example) but has data that doesn't make sense past the SNES point.

(01-31-2016, 08:19 PM)Catone Wrote: Kinda feels like a stupid question but was there any new content added to the android or steam versions beyond the GBA version?

I noticed a "dizzy effect" on the screen when Terra wakes up in Narshe. This is most likely tied to an event command working as follow: Nyxo has identified some calls to event code (specific byte) in the exe, those calls are "adding" to what the command does in a specific context. I've identified a few of them with event dump and version comparison: as an example one was on the dialogue right after the "end of the world" command, one was when repositioning the party near Terra if you dies in the moogle battle. Nyxo identified 15 call like that when a specific byte of event code is read but there's probably more. So they are "adding over" and adapting the vanilla event code on a small scale.

As for data same thing goes, changing the location map data changes the tiles but doing the same to overworld data only changes where you can / can't walk as if the map data was acting like a tile properties underlayer. Another example is formation data; changing the formation song won't work but position of monsters or type of monsters in the same data will be affected by the ROM. They use most of the stuff but they add exceptions to it. I still have no clue if any of the ARM code does something.

But as for new content, nothing really if you hoped for new items or espers. They stick to what the GBA offers, even the same translation.

(01-31-2016, 08:19 PM)Catone Wrote: Guess the question is, has anybody actually played this thing from the outside or just chewed on the code?

I won't play it for now. I had to beg on the Steam group for an airship savefile. There's worthy people there but with 2000 members, I think 99% of them are just waiting for mods or wait that something happens. A moderator even made a thread for a savefile collection to help modding, nobody posted a savefile yet.

(01-31-2016, 08:19 PM)Catone Wrote: I'll stop dis'n the sprites now, but yeah IS there actually anything new or did they slack off on new stuff same as they did with making the code secure?

Part of this is answered previously. Some qualify the rom file thing as "original" or "creative", I think it's just uttery lazy from Square-Enix but cool for modders. If the EXE consist partially of a bunch of patches over the GBA ROM, a music engine and graphic engine, I could imagine parts of it being quite messy, a least for people trying to reverse engineering it.
  Find