Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: Replaced Command - Possess with 8 spell list

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
This is pretty cool, it opens up some doors for hackers.

I don't agree that Jump is worthless. In vanilla it was borderline broken, most hacks have to tone it down. Or at least it would be broken if it weren't for the more broken stuff...

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Set back another day, changed some code around to lessen the chance of a potenial bug. I did run into one instance that my command check value still returned 0 instead of the commmand number, but can't reproduce the effect, to reduce its chances of showing up, I changed it to check for the MagiTek command instead of summon, meaning if it DOES return a 0 value for some chance, it will show the new menu instead of MagiTek's menu. (Since anybody using this will probably be using MagiTek less often that the custom list, less chance for it to be noticed. Also let me have more play in which command number I could use to start the new menu because all of them are lower than MagiTek's number. Win win)

The set back, even after shuffling commands around and getting the new menu off the calculated spells chart, it still loads the text based off of MagiTek's first spell, the spells used are based off of the 0 count, haven't looked at the code enough to figure out why its using a calculated start point to load the text while the spells are loading correctly (start at 0.) Could probably get around it by using two list to load from but that'd just complicate things for anybody attempting to use.

On the other hand, my added code looks to be working 100% now so that's a plus. To be continued.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
When you consider your patch completed/bug-free, please let me know. I can add it to the patch sub-forum. (Hopefully I won't, I'm hoping you'll be the first to submit and have a patch displayed in the DB)
  Find

Status
Zombie
Har har, unstuck and moving again. Going to have to complicate things a bit more than I really wanted to but nothing that should require an 8 year college degree in SNES hacking to make end-user adjustments (maybe a 2 week crash course at most). Sadly I can't effectivly make it compatable with FF3usME (as far as the new command AND MagiTek is concerned anyway.)
Since I'm using the same base code to execute both commands, and I wanted the new command to have as much play as possible when it came to what spells it could use, I had to adjust the spell numbers for MagiTek so it would match up with the new command. Partially because I don't want to learn the romatic details of how MagiTek works enough to rewrite a whole new command (not to mention the space required), but mostly because I think its cool to run two commands through the same source code then split them apart at the end.

The reason this technically "breaks" the editor? Magitek spells no longer start at "00" as vanilla, they start at 26 (hex value). This is because I adjusted the calculation start point to start with Blitz spells instead of MagiTek. This doesn't allow for normal magic/summons to be added. A base point of Fire1 (no spell # adjustment) wouldn't allow the normal MagiTek spells to load, Blitz starts at 5D which is in usable range of MagiTek. This in turn allows for Blitz, Dance spells, MagiTek, Lores, and possibly some enemy spells to be added (not sure just how high a value will function (I know it won't go to 131 decimal, maybe 99 over the starting value?) In short, this means that any value set in the editor for MagiTek will be 38 spell numbers higher than it thinks they would be. So, not only will the new command have to be set via hex, but MagiTek as well (its just a few bytes, and the ability to add, I write a tutorial with specific directions before I call it finished so yes, it will be usable without being a hex guru).

On that note, if someone was writing a completly new editing program, they COULD have it load up the table that checks for spell calculations, and the other table that has those values, then load everything based off that rather than direct accessing and set values. Just a thought, would make it more hack friendly as well.

On THAT peticular note, since I shuffled Summon and Shock commands around to get the new command out of the same spell calculation as Esper Summon, I also have to expand the check table, then move the value table to be expanded. They will all work normally just pointers and names changed, short of looking hard at the code and the order of the list, the user will never notice.

Think that covers it at the moment, will be a few more mornings of code pounding before complete though.

Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
I don't want to get off topic. But can you change morph to where you get the stat boosts but the sprite doesn't change? I have a character I'm replacing with Terra and he really doesn't need to Morph, it is possible to give an item that gives the double magic and attack bonus of morph to a character except for the transformation?
  Find

Status
Zombie
I haven't looked into the fine details of morph enough to give a fool proof answer, but it might, and I stress might be possible to blank the part about changing sprites out. The little I know of Morph is: its a complicated command. I'll scroll through it next time I have the file open and see if anything obvious jumps out though. Maybe I can give a better answer then.

As for having an item that changes a command into Morph, I'm not sure if those tables would be practical to expand. I think there are at least 3 list for that type of function, one for items that do it, one for commands that chamge and another for the commands they change into. Trying to expand a similar list atm, but haven't tested it yet. So you'd probably need to expect to replace another item with that property such as Dragoon Boots or the item that does Coin Toss, and the skills attached to it. Meaning for instance, Fight to Jump would be replaced with Runic to Morph. Just an example.

If your just wanting the boost of Morph on an item, would think giving a relic the Earring effect and the ... atlas armlet? Thought that could be done through the editor, but I've slept since then so could be mistaken.

As I said though, haven't looked at morph enough to know how hard it is to modify. Sorry I don't have a better answer atm.

*Edit* I find referance to "set Lift Status" a few places in the Morph code (in between line after line of math to adjust and calculate the Morph Timer). I have to wonder if this isn't the effect your looking for, but the only referances are in the comme ts for Morph. Personally never heard or seen such a thing but that is possibly the status that needs set to get the effects. If that's true, and it is simply handled as a status instead of miles of code for alternate damage formulas, then maybe all required would be a command that sets and removes that status and nothing else. Tis were I'd start on such an endevor anyway.

Had this working 100%, I also managed to break esper summoning and the magicite item 100% (guess I could release it anyway and call that "intentional game balancing").

So I moved it over to replace the Possess command instead, of course this fixes the Esper issue, however all the spells miss 100% perfect miss rate. I'm really on a roll with this 100% stuff! I had this problem back when I started this but don't recall what fixed it exactly soooo... bleh.

The code for the menu works great, nice range of stuff to fill it with too, MagiTek works fine too even, running into way to much trouble replacing commands though. Keep getting the feeling some stray line of code is being to picky for my sloppy programming.

So whats the next, illogical step? Go deeper! That way when you drown at least everybody will know you were swimming in the wrong direction!

I wanted to release this little patch, (it is a fun command to play with) but its going nowhere until I remember how I fixed that perfect miss problem. In the mean time, while its fresh on the brain, going to look at expanding all of those command list. At best don't expect that to mean more commands like Blitz or SwrdTech but in theory it should allow for more basic spell list like MagiTek or Shock/Health type commands maybe, if it works.

Eh, it is what it is.

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I moved your thread in the IPS patches sub-forum, which seems to be the logical thing to do now. I also merged the last post with first one so that the thread start with the "official" post. I also made (very minor cosmetic) modifications to it as well as updating the download link to a link on our server. Let me know if the whole thing is ok with you. If you have bugfix or future versions, you can post a mediafire link in a new post and I'll update the first post (or you can send me the link in a pm).
  Find

Status
Zombie
Works for me, was having a hard enough time trying to say it was a patch and give a short description (which ended with a pasted readme and something that almost qualified as posting) let alone making it visable.

Yeah it needed cosmetic adjustments, thanks.

Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 15
Thanks Given: 11
Status
Mental-Break
This is pretty awesome!! I never really liked that possess command.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Vampire
I cant wait to see the end result, tho I had no idea it was that much work. youre awesome!
and about morph, the cool thing about the game is Terra NEVER actually has to have this ability. (i swapped it out with her Mtech to give me an idea of what this patch might be like) still, that means there are two wasted commands morph and revert...

that reminds me off topic, is it an easy way to make the lore command have the character 'chant' instead of 'attack ready'
  Find