Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Forum update and submissions

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Have to say, I really dig the new layout for resources. The layout also makes the rules much more direct, the condensed descriptions as well. Should be more to the point for people to take a glance at and get the drift (at least for those that plan on following them).

That being said, you CAN preach tolerance while waving a giant hammer at people, problem comes when people see an admin being tolerant or resonable while the rules are straight and strict. This just leads to some folks thinking the rules are just for show, seeing tolerance more as non-enforcement. Easily resolved, but does lead to inconsistancies.

Only short suggestion I can add to that, might re-add a numbering system to the rules. Either to the icon or the rule name. Not sure how to add it and make it look as clean, but having numbers would make it easier (well more simplified) for an admin to say "you broke rule #5, this is your warning". That way they have to go look to see what rule they broke, vs explaining the rule they broke, on the spot, leading to less push to go read them all instead of just adressing the one warning directly.

As for the rest, looks great. One suggestion, while the "links" page looks clean, it blends together a bit. Maybe break them apart in catagories of some sort, or maybe larger icons instead of bullet style. Personally, I'd suggest catagories over larger icons as to not make it overly cluttered.

Still outstanding and solid work as usual, will take alot of getting used to the changes, but in a good way. Looking forward to going through the completed product.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-22-2015, 08:16 AM)catone Wrote: Only short suggestion I can add to that, might re-add a numbering system to the rules. Either to the icon or the rule name. Not sure how to add it and make it look as clean, but having numbers would make it easier (well more simplified) for an admin to say "you broke rule #5, this is your warning".

That is so true. I got lost somewhere between icons but numbering system is almost mandatory for the rules to point out which are broken and such. Thanks for the suggestion.

(11-22-2015, 08:16 AM)catone Wrote: One suggestion, while the "links" page looks clean, it blends together a bit. Maybe break them apart in catagories of some sort, or maybe larger icons instead of bullet style. Personally, I'd suggest catagories over larger icons as to not make it overly cluttered.

Categories sounds like the idea. I tried to put them in a somewhat order or importance for new modders (most resources first) but I could probably break them apart in a few categories (patches & document, forums, etc...). I'll see what can be done.

Edit: Applying those two recommendations, the result is better. The rules does look correct with and icon and number after it:

[Image: rules.png]

As for the link I tried to regroup them as much as possible. Also, I'm buy lottery today. With 187 different sprites in the folder, I end up getting Sash three times in a row (end of video): https://www.ff6hacking.com/links2.mp4
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
An improvement on perfection. In other words, damn sexy looking site there.

Not sure if its possible, but might make the sprites on the catagories on the links page a pixel or two larger to size up to the large text a little better. Literally only a pixel or two I'd think, might even just be my screen making them look so small in comparison. They wouldn't need to be larger than the text, just closer size to the first bold capital in the catagory. That's only if it's simple to adjust the size of the sprite at all, might look a touch better but not enough to really justify some special line just for such a slight resize.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-22-2015, 01:36 PM)catone Wrote: Not sure if its possible, but might make the sprites on the catagories on the links page a pixel or two larger to size up to the large text a little better.

[Image: links3.png]

Font size 21px instead of 22px and I moved the sprite up 1px.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Probably my last update, I've got nothing to show this time but I just wanted to say thanks for the feedbacks and idea so far. I'll most likely close the forum next Friday. The update should take a minimum of 2 days, maybe less maybe more. My goal is for the forum to be running on Sunday evening.

Here's my progresses:

Plugins installation and tweaks
   100%

[progress=95]CSS Styling (few minor things left)[/progress]

[progress=85]Graphics (Only smilies left to finish and sprites to rip for avatar gallery)[/progress]

Custom Pages
   100%

[progress=80]New BB codes (iconfont and a few more left to finish)[/progress]

Final Tests on EVERYTHING
   75%

[progress=5]Real Update (duh!)[/progress]
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (11-23-2015)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
Ooh, looks exciting with all the progress bars. Can't wait to see what it looks like(I've not been looking at your progress so far, I kind of want it to be a surprise).

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
Can't wait, madsiur! This is a really exciting endeavor that wouldn't be possible without you!

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-23-2015, 12:20 AM)Cecil188 Wrote: Ooh, looks exciting with all the progress bars. Can't wait to see what it looks like(I've not been looking at your progress so far, I kind of want it to be a surprise).

Yeah for someone that a seen little of the videos or pics I posted, the change will be drastic but forum will look familiar because I haven't rebuild from scratch, only improved and polished. I'll have to make a FAQ or list of the new things (functionalities and option, not really cosmetic changes).

FYI, progress bar can be done like that:

[progress=50]My chance of flipping tail or head[/progress]

My chance of flipping tail or head
   50%
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Well I did nothing this week so I'll use this weekend to finalize everything. I just finished avatar galleries. To start (I might add more in another update if people use them), we got monster sprites from Record Keeper, FFVI iOS, Pictologica, Tactic S (character sprites), Dimension and FFIV CC (around 98% of them total for all games). Teaser: https://www.ff6hacking.com/avatar2.mp4

I'm moving to finish the iconfont and BB codes, two things that might get expanded more in the future if people use them it in posts. Then it will be a boring Saturday/Sunday of test and check everything in different browsers (except IE Tongue) and small fixes as I test. I'll make an official announcement about the forum shut down later next week.

Edit: Finished the BB codes. Added only a few since last time. Some are old but were never added to the help page, hence a minimal use by members. Some were removed. https://www.ff6hacking.com/mybb.mp4
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I'm officially done with graphics, except for smilies. Here's a preview of the iconfont: https://www.ff6hacking.com/iconfont.mp4

It works like any other MyBB code, you specify a icon size (10px to 50px) and the name of the icon. I created a help page for the names and icons available as seen in teaser. I might add color support and add more icons if some end up being used in posts.
  Find