Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Forum update and submissions

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
well at any rate your seize is basically my grabbed i took my information from the wiki the move is called seize but the status is grabbed
i will take your point on zinger as i guess gau can use it so ill add that it'll be good to have another one that begins with z
another maybe would be the ghosts command possess as it does kill the ghost after the battle ends? just a thought

screw it i added possessing, zinger and catnip ,shield from ff7 and nattak'd

im done 200 statuses (moods)

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to JWhiteLXXXIX for this post:
  • Catone (10-29-2015), Gi Nattak (10-29-2015), madsiur (11-07-2015), Tenkarider (10-29-2015)

Threads: 11
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Don't know how Zinger works, but Possess isn't a status (the character is simply removed from the party). That being said, if it's added already there's no reason to remove it, really. Smile

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Imprisoned
yeah i added it as a status cause the character controls the enemy first and when the fight is ended is then removed from the party so its kinda different from eject

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I've been working on an icon font for the last few days for the forum UI. First, SVG icons put in an icon font look better on smaller size (a icon from a icon font set at 16px will look way better than a 16x16 image). Secondly, you can change the color of an icon from an icon font with CSS or add moving/shaping effects or shadow on the shape itself.

I'm gonna make the font available for users too, meaning you'll be able to put icons in post with BB code, something like [icon]arrow[/icon] or [icon]&F000[/icon] where &F000 is the unicode mapping. Changing icon size and color in post will be abvailable as it is for existing text right now. (example: [size=large][color=#FF0000][icon]arrow[/icon][/color][/size]Wink

Here's a preview of the icon font. There's some boring stuff like folders and envelopes I need for the forum UI and the selection is only from 1 site I found so far so there's going to be more characters added, but since I could spend one week looking for icons, I decided to stop for now since I had the minimum I needed. The character mapping will also change. If you have any suggestion, you can post a link of the icons you wanna see added (SVG format):

https://codepen.io/anon/pen/BoqKPq
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Updated the first post with the following:

What will be gone with the update:

What we be done after the update in a 2.0 update (probably around Chrismast):
  • New Sprite Database
  • Submission form for users to submit patches, documents or hacks
  • New music player

Edit: Added a few icons and removed some to the icon font and properly named each icon. You can check it on codepen.

Late night second edit: Preview of User CP menu with new icons and longer transition. I'm more satisfied with this result. Time to move to something else !
  Find

Status
Imprisoned
looks good madsiur, ill be skype tonight and we can talk shop Wink

Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
First, I have to say yet again, its all looking outstanding so far. Great work, really great work.

To the point, "New alert system"? Is that something the cool kids get to play with? Cause I'm not sure I've seen the old one in order to notice a new one. Just wondering.

The real question though, what are the odds of (after the update gets installed and settled in of course) of getti g one of our great and powerful moderators to edit in the new tag system on old post? For instance if I find a good juicy bit of valuable information (that always seems to pop up in unlikely places in threads with sometimes unrelated topics) while reading through an old dead thread, would an admin be able to go in and add tags to that for search purposes, or would a request like that best be made to the hopefully still alive original poster?

Granted, getting a bit ahead of the game, just wanted to ask while the thought was still in my head.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-07-2015, 10:31 AM)catone Wrote: To the point, "New alert system"? Is that something the cool kids get to play with? Cause I'm not sure I've seen the old one in order to notice a new one. Just wondering.

As an example doing "@catone" will give you an alert that someone mentioned you in a post (a bit like facebook tags). If someone tags you 10 times in old post just for the sake of it, he'll get a warning (the tagged user will however have to report this cause there's no way for mods to know except if we check the posts). Another type of frequent alert could be "quoted in post" but I guess abuses would be moderated here also. "Buddy request" can only be done once as long as you don't decline the request. Spamming the profile of someone with messages will also get you a warning.

Edit: You can turn off every type of alert.

The forum rules will be adjusted in order to prevent people doing stuff like that. We have like 20 smilies, I've seen kids trying to do a graphic novel with most of them in one post (nobody that is still active here), I wish at that time we had a rule for that. Immature people will always be (or until they grow up) so the best I can do is warnings if there's abuse but I'd like to try the feature first to see how it goes.

(11-07-2015, 10:31 AM)catone Wrote: The real question though, what are the odds of (after the update gets installed and settled in of course) of getti g one of our great and powerful moderators to edit in the new tag system on old post? For instance if I find a good juicy bit of valuable information (that always seems to pop up in unlikely places in threads with sometimes unrelated topics) while reading through an old dead thread, would an admin be able to go in and add tags to that for search purposes, or would a request like that best be made to the hopefully still alive original poster?

[Image: tags.png]

^This should answer your question partially. I don't understand the second sentence though the way it is formulated. Does this mean a group that edit tags must prior be able to edit threads? Tags are only entered on the first post of a thread, threads prior to the plugin install have no tags.

If an old first post gets edited, tags with the thread title are made which is annoying tbh. If no tag are entered on the first post of a new thread, tags with thread title words are made. So you end up with tags like "hacking" and "help" in hacking discussion. I WILL tweak the plugin php code in order to remove all that crap.

Note that tags can be visualized by thread or forum and if I decide to show 20 tags per forum, only the 20 most popular will show. That is somehow cool as long as tags are relevant.

Finally, I could put trustful people in a secondary group and they could be able to edit tags (as an example, someone with 50 post and being on the forum more than 6 months could edit tags, just an idea). No need to be an admin for that.

Edit: Browser update!

On another note, after pondering the idea, the new theme will only guarantee to fully work on newer versions of Safari, Opera, Firefox and Chrome. I'm developing on Chrome and testing on Firefox also, and I'll test on Safari and Opera in the final stage. I was going for an IE 10 compatibility but now I gotta trash it. Short story, a button can either be a link ("a" tag), input tag or button tag. Some require to be either input or button, the difference between the two being that you can put HTML in a button (as an example an image) which is impossible with an input. Sadly, more than two button tags in the same form have weird behavior that I won't explain here with IE. I've been doing CSS hacks to get older IE version compatible but now I'm dropping IE altogether. If everything works well with IE 11 then good but I'm stopping looking for compatibility. What is certain is that the forum will be broken in IE 9 and below.

As for Microsoft Edge, not sure if it will compatible, I'm going to have to try it before doing the real update.
  Find

Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I like the idea of removing the "crap" tags that can get added automatically, would be a good thing to have, well not have I guess the case would be.

As for the other part of what I ask, lets say for instance the thread "All Things Event Hacking", just for an example. While most of all the information has been added to the first post, at one point Lockirby's list of sound effects wasn't (Not sure if it is there now or not but thats not the topic). At that time I had searched for a sound effect list and couldn't find anything (sure being on the last page didn't help, and my failure to read every post on the thread didn't either... anyway). My point, in this instance, the tag of "sound effects" or something of the sort would be useful to have added to the thread so that thread would come up easier when searching for sound effects.

Or in other cases, when something gets answered deep in a thread that isn't directly related to the original topic, adding a tag relevant to that answer would help, at least in searching. People would still have to read but at least they'd be reading a relevant post, not an entire thread that has nothing to do with the search, or at other times never seeing that thread at all.

Yeah, I keep poking about search features. I just constantly find myself having issue trying to search for a post nd finding nothing at all or getting results that include pretty much the entire forum, yes it bugs the hell out of me. So please forgive the obsesion with new search features, I don't have a good excuse.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-07-2015, 12:22 PM)catone Wrote: My point, in this instance, the tag of "sound effects" or something of the sort would be useful to have added to the thread so that thread would come up easier when searching for sound effects.

I get your point. I'm 90% sure the only way to edit thread tags is to edit the first post, hence my reference to trustful people. We could leave that to admins, or I'm also for the idea of having one or two additional "Tags mods" that could edit tag and especially add some to older threads, that's a great archival job that sadly I'll probably won't have the time to do.

My point is that we'll make sure in a way or another that "help" or "hacking" or anyone non-meaningful word will show up and tags will be a nice addition to the traditional search.

Edit: finally got most of messaging done, pm sending example (same thing but it looks nicer): https://www.ff6hacking.com/neverbuddy.mp4
  Find