Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Battle Event: Locke and the Merchant/Officer

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
@justin - Unless I'm misunderstanding your goal I think just using character 01's ID while loading Shadow's properties, graphics, palette, and name for that scenario should be sufficient enough for getting the change clothes battle event to work right, and updating all the instances Joe listed. No need to really change every other instance before that scenario unless that's what you wanna do, change everything Locke to Shadow.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Battle events were first thought out by the game creators/developers and then hard coded into the game. At least this is my impression. Whenever I post notes, I don't mean to post incomplete events. I just post events or addresses of interest to me at the time.

Locke is the only character hard coded to change into a merchant or soldier in a battle event. Similarly, after the narshe battle, Terra is the only character hard coded to change sprites into an esper. If you try to have terra use locke's command to change into a merchant or soldier, it simply won't work. Likewise for having locke transform into esper terra.

I tried using the debugger a long time ago to try and figure out how the code behind the commands (which are two bytes BTW), but was unsuccessful at deciphering stuff. Madsiur tried helping a bit too, but was unsuccessful as well.

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Hey Angelo, I didn't mean any disrespect by it. I just noticed is all, and it was pertinent to me/the topic. Sorry if it came out any other way.

I know you said the bytes for battle events were pretty much all pairs, but in this event there is an odd number of bytes and all but 3 I can pretty much assume what they are as they follow the predictable formula (begin action, action, execute{also one byte}) and conveniently enough one of the bytes is 01. I just really assumed it had something to do with it. That's all. I will probably try the debugger thing myself, not because I have any chance at figuring it out if you two didn't but more so I can learn how it works and now it's code I'm familiar with.

While I have your attention and since you have done some of the most extensive work on the battle events, do you think changing Locke's($01) battle sprite will make it work so the character can change in battle like him? As far as the game code it would be almost identical as it'll call pointers to the same locations and such, but I suppose it could be as specific as the graphics themselves. Just figured your input would be valuable.

Sidebar: I would have already done this tonight and verified if if worked or not, but my wife gave me the guilt trip from hell last night so I decided to hang out with her tonight instead. Did anyone else's significant other hate them and call them "obsessed" while they were learning all of this? There's just SO much to learn and it all builds upon itself.. And I'm a mechanic by day so it's not like I get to flex this part of my brain daily. *end rant*

Have a great night guys. 0:-)
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
I'm pretty sure Angelo didn't take any offence to anything you said, he was just stating the facts.

And about the sidebar info, yes, we lost the probably the best potential hacker on this site due to that unfortunately, Edrin...
He was responsible for this hack here:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...t=Children

His goodbye post:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...t=Children

He was a great person and personal friend ;_;
Family above all else, this stuff can be very addicting and obviously time consuming to say the least.
So be careful lol!

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
One thing you need to remember with battle events is that the scripts generally work from the character properties ID and not the actor or sprite (which all tend to be similar numbers, especially for the main cast). To test this whether its the sprite or something else, just grab a copy of the original game and edit one property at a time of Locke's and see when it breaks. Then work a solution around that.
  Find

Status
None
Update: Took me a couple of days to get back to it (work..) but I got the everything changed in the database of the game for lack of better words from Locke to Shadow, or in other words Shadow is now actor $01. Good news is the battle event worked, ninja to merchant in 180°. On the not so great news, this just pointed out just how seemingly useless my first couple of months learning how to assign characters different everything feel like a waste (every little detail aside from NPC palettes worked perfectly), but deep down I know it means something, or else I'd never have a chance at the comig events I have to edit. *Daunted*

Thanks for your help guys, going to spend tomorrow re-hacking a clean ROM with my events and changed database (again, can't think of what else to call it) to fit and hopefully it's not TOO soon before I'm back on here with some other stupid question with an extremely easy answer I just didn't think of. Good night guys.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
I don't mean to bust in here, but I felt asking a question on a thread related to my actual question would help better than creating a whole thread to it.

What I want is to have actor 01 (default Locke) to switch to palette 01 when he steals the Soldier's uniform, and not palette 00 which is the usual one. Using Smilin' Joe's post I managed to have him switch to palette 01 AFTER the battle. Within the battle itself, it still gets palette 00. Since actor 01 has palette 01 by default, there must be something that changes it somewhere.

I tried to look for the event using the 'All about Battle Events' thread, but I can't figure out how to translate D0/981C to make windhex read it, since so far all Offsets have been "CX" and I know you are supposed to add 200 (if having a header) and turn the C into 00, but otherwise I'm lost...

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Status
None
If you're using WindHex, you can actually change the address type to snes HiRom. In regards to the palette, as far as my limited understanding goes, the sprite change is set by only a few bytes, which would probably mean a subroutine. Otherwise the change would be a lot longer. Hopeful someone can elaborate, but that 's my understanding of the matter.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
What I want is to have actor 01 (default Locke) to switch to palette 01 when he steals the Soldier's uniform, and not palette 00 which is the usual one.

Actually, that can be done in FF3usME, but it's a bit tricky to figure out how.
Notice the old man NPC, index 23... he has a battle palette that can be set. That old man NPC's battle palette is actually reserved for the battle palette of Locke when he changes into the soldier outfit during that battle event, and for any battles after that as well. If you change the old man's battle palette from 0 to 1, it will do what you want:
[Image: G56YK0J.png]

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • DrakeyC (04-19-2016), Kugawattan (07-08-2015), madsiur (07-08-2015)

Status
None
I knew I knew too little. Strange way for them to assign the palette, but I suppose they know best.
  Find