Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Idea for new soldier sprites update 28.05.2015

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I was playing All the Bravest (I know, I know, it's a terrible 'game', but it's something to do when you're waiting somewhere and you don't have a book or actual handheld gaming device.) and I remembered it had some enemy sprites for games FF7 and up.

I found a place that ripped them and they are able to be imported reasonably easily over enemy sprites.

Would anyone be interested in trying to make new soldier sprites based on the FF7 Soldier ATB sprites?

[Image: SOLDIER_3rd_Class_ATB.png] [Image: SOLDIER_2nd_Class.png] [Image: SOLDIER_1st_Class_ATB.png]

It has a similar FF6 sprite style and the design is fairly reminiscent of the CGI soldier uniform.
[Image: ImperialSoldierFMV.jpg]

What do you think? I am tempted to try my hand at this, but my limited abilities would basically be limited to just recolouring it and trying to make the helmet and pauldrons into leather and try to make it a traditional sword rather than the weird spear thing.

Edit:
Alright, I decided to try my own hand at it, and while I was unable to directly import it, I was able to recreate it pixel by pixel, and I tried to do a basic recolour using the soldier palette.

I tried to make the armour black, but it just couldn't look 'good' so I kept it silver.

[Image: test_soldier_1_by_video_boy_mal-d8v1zw3.png]

What do you think?

Edit 2:

Alright, a minute after I posted this, I had a 'lightbulb' moment and said 'Ooooooooooooh, that's how I can do this!'

and I immediately set about changing it for the better, what do you think about it now?
[Image: ff6_soldier_wip_2_by_video_boy_mal-d8v2198.png]

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
honestly you are off to a great start

the 2nd version is much better

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SSJ Rick for this post:
  • Murak Modder (05-28-2015)

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Thanking ye kindly for your words Poco.

I'm not completely satisfied with the sword, but that was the ONLY FF6 sword that was facing in the right direction for me to just borrow without trying to scratch one of my own. (It came from the Ninja's katana)

I'm happy with the rest of it and I'll try to fully insert it later on, after which point I'll release it so others can enjoy it as well. ^3^

(I'm using it in my project as the new Soldier sprite, I'll try to get something nice for the lieutenants and whatnot.)

And from my other tests, quite a few of the premium enemies from ATB can just be directly imported, such as the Picoucho and Ouchu from FF13 which I'm tempted to use for a forest boss, but I already had one in mind for that part of the game using the FFV Dragonflower and FF6 Tentacles (redone to look more like ivy.) and now I'm feeling a little torn on that. xD

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
That's pretty cool-looking. I'd like to use them to replace the Pipsqueaks in Vector. Always hated those for some reason. These are badass.
  Find