Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Vampire
Ok so I dont know how much sprite space you have but if it exceeds all the vanilla ones i do suggest having alternate versions of a few characters like the ones who use all that skin. Ill make the town one as vanilla as possible but woman for example:
to be battle ready i would change here ribbon to the same color as her dress, then use all the browns or blonde/whites or blacks in palettes 1 or 0 or 4 to elminate any issues. i hate the idea of doubling up sprites but A) she will probably look cooler, B) will you really ever recruit more than one of the same on purpose other than a moogle?

i use the townswoman as an example often because she has to be the most complicated sprite to make battle ready that ive messed with... (side note, she looks pretty cool with blue/black hair like rachel has.

another option is to flatten her colors so the skin tone dont add the extra detail. easily done and with this the character would/should be compatable with palettes 0-4 as they would then use the default haircolors of each palette, blonde, ash brown, green, light brown, silver
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Space isn't issue by any means whatsoever. Could probably make two copies of every spritesheet and then, maybe have to start paying attention. That's not even counting the space where the original sprites were. But there are other issues to consider in that aspect.

It would be ideal to the sprite, espcially townfolk, compatible with at least two, preferably the first 4 or 5 palettes. Maybe not looking great on others, but functionible on others, for sake of variety on maps for townsfolk.

The other, slightly better solution would be to make a good version for towns, multi palette compatible, then another palette for battle. (Might be possible to give each their own battle palette, maybe) but how to make that palette match the sprite that uses the overworld palette? I don't know if it could be done without looking jacked in one or the other places. Yeah that one gonna be tuff eitherway. Not sure what rout to take here.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Vampire
the problem with an alternate battle palette is that an extra set of 'skin tones' unaffected by poison/bzerk/zombie would be needed. and this is the problem in itself because that would be 14 colors

lets see town woman might be doable with 2 vanilla palettes if i edit the hair, we'll see. ill experiment
  Find

Status
Zombie
Yeah you would effectivly have to do the clothing and such with 10 colors to allow for the extra hair colors to load in battle.

Even then, getting them to load right wouldn't be overly practical using just one sprite sheet.

Never said it was a great idea, just what I had at the moment.

Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Don't know if you've addressed this or not... but you are also going to have a to do a TON of event editing. Every event that calls the unique NPC sprite pose will need to be updated with the proper PC pose code. Because the sheets are smaller, the tiles for the extra pose are in different positions than they would be on a PC sprite sheet, so the right code needs to be used to get the right tiles.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Yep, that problem is in my nightmares. Not only the event codes that use special poses, and those poses being relocated in the sheet, but several sprites will need to be changed entirely to make up for some other adjustmemts, as well as some small amounts of code to make up for even more other things. So yes, "nightmare" is the word.

It will require enough changes that it will be a seperate patch. Also since someone may want to use it, yet already rewrote most of their events, such a patch would either unwrite or break any custom events. So yeah, the event fixing will be seperate, but eventually done. Course I could just be realy lazy and not change the NPC map graphic pointers, but where is the fun in that?

Find

Status
Vampire
I think the best option is to have actors 15 and 16 be similar to ff7's vincent and yuffie. they have their own dialog and stuff but are not necessary to the story. you could recruit any 2 extra characters who all come with different strengths and weakness. but once youve chosen the two thats IT for that playthrough. one extra could be if u let shadow die.

they wouldnt add much to the story and wouldnt be part of the ending but it seems the least effort. another thing i thought of was erasing a few default characters in the WOR by choice. example u save Cid so he overwrites Strago and so when u find strago hes not there etc

my only thing is i want ANY actor to be able to equip espers for stat bonus even iff they cant learn magic...
  Find

Status
Zombie
C3/4D6F: C9 0C
to
C3/4D6F: C9 FF

If I recall correctly, that will let any "actor" equip an Esper. You could instead change it to any other value to allow from that actor down. The problem, without shuffling some actors around, by allowing actors slightly over Umaro to equip Espers, Leo could as well. Which wouldn't be a problem unless you forget to remove them before he dies/leaves. Course, that and some other changes will also have to be changed to make all this work as a final deal (the code for removing all equipment/espers for instance) to include all actors, and some added code to remove any Esper Leo may have equipped during his short visit.

Will have to make those choices when the time comes.

Find

Status
Vampire
Also, once ive finished all these vanilla characters I want to create some cameos:
Ff2 (remake): Leila
Ff3(nes remake): Sarah
Ff4: Anna and Edward
Ff7: Barret (with a normal arm), Elena, Reno, Rude
Ff8: Edea
Ff9: Beatrix, Blank
Ffx-2: Paine

im confident i can do these using vanilla palettes
  Find

Status
Zombie
Just to show that, yes, I have been doing something.

The menu pic, the only one that anyone might have trouble guessing who, is that the bottom "Kumama" is Maria's portrait. Sure, not a great match but eh, at least she has something. The others should be fairly obvious. I don't think they came out to bad, at least nobody should need a trash can to gag into after looking at them, I hope.

I should start a contest or something for these battle shots. Create a short back story for this party/battle. The winner gets... um... their name changed to "I'maWeiner!" for a week! Okay, that's probably not the best incentive is it? Eh, still might be fun to try and come up with something funny.

"An opera singer, a baron, and an old lady walk into a circus tent..." not a good example is it? Oh well I tried.

Find