Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pipe dream anyone?

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Pipe dream, that was actually a good NES game. Plenty of time spent on that one. Anyway...

Something I've wanted to see ever since I realized there was a FF6 hacking community was a hack that involved so much chit, it required multiple "disk" (as in patch the rom to "disk 1", play - save, patch the ROM to "disk 2" play - etc.).

Not a whole new game, I'm still talking true FF6, just hours and hours of new/expanded stuff. As in take the "disk 1" patch, and remove everything that is WoR only. Leave only from Start New Game to waking up on Solitary Island. Add in things like, let the player actually go into Esperville, another Opera show (more action, less singing, one singing was great two is just pushing it), more massive battlefield action. Instead of Cyan just walking past all the soldiers jumping around in front of the walls of Doma Castle (Seriously none of them thought "HEY the gate is open! Let's run inside quick!) and killing the commander like it was nothing? Dump all that, make it a full on battlefield. This is the Empire, they have an army, make it look that way.

At this point you could also do things like, swap Edgar and Leo's info in the game. Make Edgar a temp character for the WoB, and make Leo a full on addition to the party (for a short time before he's brutally slaughtered). Same with Banon with someone else, say Gogo. Then get Edgar as a real full time character in the WoR.

Or, a different path. Edgar dies at the end of the WoB, Sabin won't join the party because he now has to take care of Figaro. Leaving two full character slots and skills for two new full characters to be recruited in the WoR with full stories and quest, etc. Same with the Leo character slot, he's never in the WoR, since you'd only be handling the second half of the game, you have a whole other temp character slot to play with.

Like I said, it would still be FF6, all the vanilla stuff still there. Just double the original content. Build on every single little thing that is slightly noticed in the original game, and double all the stuff you do already. Entirely new monster sets for each world(yes the little fluffy bunnies from outside Narsh went extinct, even on the Veldt, when Sr. Behemoths starting eatting them by the hundreds). I'm talking so much expanded content you have to remove the other half of the game to make it all fit even with all of the awsome expanded data stuff we have now days.

If all that worked out, hell you could even do a "Disk 3", after defeating Kefka, your surviving party have to fight their way out of the tower. Then you have to decide how to rebuild. Do you rebuild Doma? What about Narsh? Or hell at that point you do a whole other global threat. Or with that kinda free space, you could let the player choose to finish destroying the world. All the magic is gone at this point, all those spell list, espers, etc could be replaced with a new system.

As I said at the start, its a pipe-dream, I know. It wouldn't be impossible really, just a nightmare and a half trying to keep organized. Personally, I don't have the ideas, ambition, brain capacity, or life span to even attempt something like that. But it would be fun. Why do I even bring it up? Eh, I'm a procrastinator too. I should be working on something right now but I'm not...

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
These are exactly the kind of ideas I love. Just thinking about how the game could go a million different ways is exactly why I got into this site.

If this was possible, which I'm sure it is, I would play it for days on end. The story is so great, and more could only be an improvement.

Related to the Edgar/Sabin part, in the hack I'm planning, Edgar isn't there with you to save his castle from robbers, so when you tell him what happened there he feels like a failure to his kingdom. Only a certain brawler can get him back on his feet.

On a final note, I almost hope for a sequel like TAY was to FFIV, just to see the developers take on the future- and heck, if I didn't like it than I could make my own.

Thanks for the post.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
This is an opportunity to bring the FFVI SDK up. You might want to wait for this, as it will let you with almost no restriction regarding added content. No monster, character, event bit or space limit. The problem is, when will it come out? A year or two, five years? Nobody knows.

That been said, I like ROM hacking and pushing the boundaries of the original ROM.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Eh, that SDK sounds like fun but, you said it best "pushing the boundaries" IS the fun part. Seeing what can be done within the limits of the system, or breaking those limits. That's the very reason you have to admire most all of the full hacks that completely change the game. Enjoy the hack or not, you have to respect what was done to achive the finished product.

This is still a dream though. Not practical in building or playing, but would be fun to see.

And while FF IV TAY was a so so game (yes I had a ton of issues with that game and every thing about it) it was great just to see the character's after years.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find