Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing Sabin's Spiraler (animation question)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey there. Now I've been wanting to change the effect of Sabin's Blitz Spiraler, the one where he removes himself from battle to basically fully recover the rest of the party. No one uses that move because of how lame it is, so I've been wanting to change it to something that perhaps deals with status ailments. Make Sabin a hybrid physical powerhouse, as well as a energy-based supporter, who can use Drain to vamp from enemies, Mantra the team to health, and perhaps use Spiraler to cleanse certain debuffs.

I want to basically keep the animation of the blue tornado effect the same, however I have no idea how to make Sabin's sprite remain in battle. Does anyone else have an idea of exactly what settings to change, preferably in FF3usME? If anyone knows another way, an easy, step-by-step guide would be appreciated too.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
In the C2 disassembly, search for "Spiraler".

C2/4234

Make a backup of you rom, open a hex editor, and start taking stuff out of that block of code for Spiraler. Where to start? Try putting a 60 in at C2/423C, and see if Sabin lives through casting or if it locks the game up.

From the way its commented, I'd almost say you could take most of that code out and get the desired effect, but I'm guessing.

I know thats not the answer you were wanting, but at least that part of code(as well as most of the C2 disassembly) is well documented and fairly easy to play with, without learning full scale programming. My best advice, get a stick and start poking it. If nothing happens, get a bigger stick. Then post your results and ask questions as needed. Gotta start getting dirty somewhere. Worst case, nothing happens, (yes I hate that the most, but again poking C2 is usually pretty easy to get some sort of visual result).

Good luck.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I wouldn't mess with the code for the Spiraler effect. The special effect byte for Spiraler is 16, if you change that to FF, it won't remove Sabin from battle. Then I'd just give the spell the same properties as Unicorn or something.

https://github.com/abyssonym/beyondchaos
Beyond Chaos is a full-game randomizer for FF6.

Status
Zombie
The code in C2 is what drains his hp/mp as well as removes him from the battle. By ending it where I mentioned you still retain the spell, the animation would need to be changed in order to keep his sprite, but you'd still be using everything else.

Why redirect it to another spell when such a small change will get the result?

Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
The effect is the same. By redirecting it to another special effect, you're also removing the "mark attacker to be removed from battlefield." The primary difference is whether or not he wants Spiraler to affect Sabin.

Either way, that still doesn't fix the issue with Sabin's sprite being ejected from battle. That's part of the animation rather than the special effect.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
Zombie
Battle animations thread

The first page on that thread may help with the animation side of it, but I didn't try it personally.

Find