Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Zone Doctor and FF6LE Expansion

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Okay, I managed to break it twice in a row, will try to explain the best I can figure. I was using a clean headered rom, expanded to 32bit, with nothing else but this patch applied.

By "break" I mean the rom wont start. Just a glitched screen (using snes9x btw) if I load a save state it seems to go ahead and run but wont start without that. I edited one map(fairly small area) adjusted exits, saved, tested. Seemed fine. Went to another map. Added a kinda large room, saved without error, tested to get a non-starting rom(that is without using a save state). If I use a save state to get past the opening, the map changes I made are there and seem to be normal. At this point, if I reopen the LE, making no changes, and try to save I get this message:

Not enough room for tile maps. The editor stopped saving at tilemap 0x0EE

As I said, I did it twice, first with only one map, second with one map edit working and another map edit breaking it.

*Edit* Okay, forget about all that jazz(well most of it). I went back to play with it some more, and all I can come up with is it breaks the opening when you add alot of stuff to L2 on a map, and a few new exits. Least that's what it looks like. I managed to repeat the effect by dropping a bunch of random stuff in L2 (at which point there was no problem) then added two new exits to get a nonstart.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-21-2015, 08:17 AM)catone Wrote: I went back to play with it some more, and all I can come up with is it breaks the opening when you add alot of stuff to L2 on a map, and a few new exits. Least that's what it looks like.

I also managed to break the opening, I just get a black screen before the splash screen. I added a lot of stuff on L2 on two maps. I'll check what I can do about that. In the meantime I'll remove the download link.

Note that exits should not be the cause of this problem because I did not touch exits at all in the code.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I had forgot to change two instances of the map location data pointers. I run some new tests by changing a lot of tiles on layer 1 and 2 on a single map and the game loaded fine. Also previously, FF6LE was still writing parts of the pointers in the old location which is not the case now. I think that was the principal issue that catone pointed. I reactivated the download link with the new version.

I consider it still needs extensive testing to see if there's any other limitation with map editing.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Rock on, gimmie a bit and I'll see if I can break something.
*edit*
Well, I certainly haven't found a limit or a breaking point yet. Short of playing through the whole game with heavy map hacks, not sure what else to try. That being said, it looks really really badass so far. Can't wait to see what can be done with this type of freedom being unlocked. Very awsome work.

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-21-2015, 06:30 PM)catone Wrote: Well, I certainly haven't found a limit or a breaking point yet. Short of playing through the whole game with heavy map hacks, not sure what else to try.

That is probably what I'll wait for. Can't wait to see new dugeons or towns :D

I was searching FF3us code for a NPC limit or event triggers limit but I've seen none. It seems (for once) the coding allow some expansion without too much trouble. Maybe next step would be having more maps to edit, like adding new ones. From what I've seen this would be doable.

(02-21-2015, 06:30 PM)catone Wrote: That being said, it looks really really badass so far. Can't wait to see what can be done with this type of freedom being unlocked. Very awsome work.

To be honest from a programmer point of view I did a lazy job. Lord J did much better with is overworld map expansion that does not require a patch for working. But since my free time is limited, I went for the easiest solution that suited my needs. Thanks for the feedback anyway!
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
So... what we have here? Maps editable, but still not the chance to add new maps?

About exits and events... did you say you already expanded, or i lost some piece? Laugh

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-21-2015, 10:07 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: So... what we have here? Maps editable, but still not the chance to add new maps?

There's already unused maps in the game. You can edit them in FF6LE. I think you already asked that question somewhere else... Adding new maps would require more work for sure.

(02-21-2015, 10:07 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: About exits and events... did you say you already expanded, or i lost some piece?

I did not. I'm still unsure about it.
  Find

Status
Zombie
I haven't went through with a fine tooth comb and a ruler but I THINK there's a lot of space that can be gained by packing a few maps (moving rooms around where they are JUST outside the point of view) you could damn near clear a full map just through some heavy packing in the LE. Not saying easy but... while time consuming, it would almost be do able.

Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
That was what i always thought: it was my plan B, before Madsiur released this patch... according to his progresses, i might be able to expand my project even further... i'm starting to believe there's also the chance of reviving Dragon's den.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Zombie
I don't know the details of how maps are loaded, BUT I have to wonder if you could use the same concept as the expanded NPC sprite sheets post thats around here somewhere. You wouldn't pull it up in LE after relocating the data(he did say map locations were hard coded in the LE I recall) but have to wonder if you could still access it via event or normal exits.

Find