Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer)

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
OMG an FFVI roguelike-like? I love you. Now I don't have to play any other games ever. I'm going to drop everything I'm doing and give this a try right now.

By the way, I was wondering if there is a list of codes and what they do? Or are they secret? Smile

And a suggestion for BC: difficulty sliders (or numerical options, whatever). I don't know exactly how you modify enemy and equipment stats, but I'm sure you could add multipliers to create things like easy/normal/hard/insane/hell difficulties.

Another suggestion: randomized consumables. "Hm, what's this "Punchberry" for 1500 gil in Thamasa item shop...oh, it MT sets Sleep and heals 3/16 MP? FUN."

EDIT: So I've wiped a couple of times now and this is FUN. A question: I know this is early stage beta and stuff, but are you planning to add Shops or other events/NPCs? Would be nice to find Inns, healing springs, save points etc. Also, I got to the room with the broken bridges in Cave to the Sealed Gate and since the bridges wouldn't switch positions, I couldn't progress. There was one room in Kefka's Tower that had a step switch that moved a piece of the floor so another party could progress though, so I guess you've added SOME events. Umaro's cave didn't have the collapsing floors, however.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Heh, the codes are not really a secret. They're in the readme, but you have to decode them. I just wanted to encourage people to try playing without codes before trying codes. Here's the codes, for the curious.
Code:
airship - visit any chocobo stable to summon the airship at any point in the game
cutscenes - remove some cutscenes (glitchy)
partyparty - party members shuffle graphics with non-party characters
bravenudeworld - all characters look like Esper Terra
suplexwrecks - all characters are Sabin and all enemies can be suplexed
strangejourney - entrances are randomized (might not work anymore?)
dearestmolulu - no encounters
canttouchthis - characters have max defense and evasion stats
easymodo - all enemies have 1 HP
norng - the random number generator always returns the same value (kind of funny)
endless9 - all "new" abilities are 9x attacks
equipanything - characters can equip any item
collateraldamage - every item is breakable
llg - monsters don't drop exp
playsitself - all characters attack automatically

Difficulty sliders were actually part of the original plan, way back when I first started. It was pretty difficult to design the randomizer around that though. I'm still not sure how I would apply a difficulty setting to the current stuff, just on a totally hypothetical level.

Randomized consumables probably won't happen any time soon either, but that's mostly because the available bit flags on consumable items are pretty limited.

https://github.com/abyssonym/beyondchaos
Beyond Chaos is a full-game randomizer for FF6.

Status
None
I edited my previous post with some reports/questions. I'll just include that in this post. Thanks for your answers! Smile

Another suggestion/question then: are you interested in implementing randomized treasure containers? As in, available treasures are contained in random buckets, crates, barrels, suits of armor, clocks, stoves etc. Switched around within a single map or distributed randomly across all maps, whatever. I may have asked you about this before, or perhaps I asked Lenophis and Dessyreqt, I can't remember.

EDIT: So I've wiped a couple of times now and this is FUN. A question: I know this is early stage beta and stuff, but are you planning to add Shops or other events/NPCs? Would be nice to find Inns, healing springs, save points etc. Also, I got to the room with the broken bridges in Cave to the Sealed Gate and since the bridges wouldn't switch positions, I couldn't progress. There was one room in Kefka's Tower that had a step switch that moved a piece of the floor so another party could progress though, so I guess you've added SOME events. Umaro's cave didn't have the collapsing floors, however.

OH, and you reminded me. I'm not sure how much you care about the 'playsitself' mode, but I have a half-abandoned mod project that is based on that idea, with some changes I've implemented that allows more commands to be used in auto-mode, and that fixes some weird behavior. If you are AT ALL interested to implement these patches in your randomizer, I'll be happy to share my work.
  Find

Status
None
Switching containers around has been mentioned before, by others. It's not something I'd be opposed to doing, it's just tedious to implement, since I'd have to somehow identify all the spots where a treasure pickup would make sense. Also, on many maps it wouldn't make any difference, since there's no good locations to put hidden treasure. So I haven't attempted anything like that yet, and it's not all bad, since it's one thing that experienced players can feel gives them an advantage.

I don't have any plans to add events or NPCs to the recycled maps, other than the rest stops. The issue here is basically the same, in that I'd have to run through every map and figure out which events are "safe" to keep. I think this would actually be a lot more difficult than placing treasure in brand-new locations, just because there are a ton of events and it's not always obvious what they do. But yeah, all of the events on the Kefka's Tower maps are preserved. Note that even though you can't cross certain maps without events, the dungeon is set up in such a way that you won't need to cross those maps. One of the "tedious chores" I did early on was, I went through each map and noted down what entrances were reachable without having events.

"playsitself" isn't a priority right now, but I did make some changes to allow more commands. Nothing as complicated as enabling Throw or Item, though. What kind of changes did you makes? I am a bit curious, but I probably won't update "playsitself" anytime soon.

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
How to implement difficulty scaling? I have an idea that i even might implement in CotG: using a battle variable that keeps his value even outside battle... like displaying a message that asks you which difficulty you want to choose and according to your answer some battle var bit might be set or not... then all the enemies AI will have in the code a check on that battle var bit/s and if it's true they'll take extra or different actions/routines/counters,
Yet it's a bit difficult to implement not manually...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(05-28-2015, 11:57 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: How to implement difficulty scaling? I have an idea that i even might implement in CotG: using a battle variable that keeps his value even outside battle... like displaying a message that asks you which difficulty you want to choose and according to your answer some battle var bit might be set or not... then all the enemies AI will have in the code a check on that battle var bit/s and if it's true they'll take extra or different actions/routines/counters,
Yet it's a bit difficult to implement not manually...

Well, I'd imagine that the difficulty level would be altered using the Python program, and he wouldn't need to deal with battle scripts for that. He could just generate a different script for any given monster using the Randomizer itself instead.

The real question would be what changes would keep the difficulty balanced.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
Quote:Switching containers around has been mentioned before, by others. It's not something I'd be opposed to doing, it's just tedious to implement, since I'd have to somehow identify all the spots where a treasure pickup would make sense. Also, on many maps it wouldn't make any difference, since there's no good locations to put hidden treasure. So I haven't attempted anything like that yet, and it's not all bad, since it's one thing that experienced players can feel gives them an advantage.

You're probably right. It might get tedious for the player too, searching every nook and cranny for loot. It's certainly on the top tier of pet annoyances in oldschool RPGs for many.

Quote:I don't have any plans to add events or NPCs to the recycled maps, other than the rest stops. The issue here is basically the same, in that I'd have to run through every map and figure out which events are "safe" to keep. I think this would actually be a lot more difficult than placing treasure in brand-new locations, just because there are a ton of events and it's not always obvious what they do. But yeah, all of the events on the Kefka's Tower maps are preserved. Note that even though you can't cross certain maps without events, the dungeon is set up in such a way that you won't need to cross those maps. One of the "tedious chores" I did early on was, I went through each map and noted down what entrances were reachable without having events.

Dev team thinks of everything. Smile Actually the only thing I was really interested in was Shops. It feels like something's missing when you're earning GP in every fight but the only thing you can do is hurl it back at monsters.

Quote:"playsitself" isn't a priority right now, but I did make some changes to allow more commands. Nothing as complicated as enabling Throw or Item, though. What kind of changes did you makes? I am a bit curious, but I probably won't update "playsitself" anytime soon.
Well, I too enabled all the commands that don't need additional logic, but like you I haven't written any routines for selecting Item, Throw or Slots. I had an idea for adding Summon to the list, but I haven't actually implemented it yet. The best tangible contribution I can offer is a fix for the issue that Auto-Mode will override Zombie in what commands are available for Zombies, once more restricting Zombies to their normal selection of commands.
  Find

Status
None
Yeah, I didn't go as far as that. The autoplay mode I have right now makes certain commands available to zombies, and also berserkers I believe.

By the way, there are shops and inns where you can spend your GP in the ancient cave, at the rest stops where you get characters and espers. Maybe you missed them.

Status
None
Oh cool! I didn't come across any rest stops in my runs yet. Got a starting team with only Lagomorph, Sun Bath and stealing Tonics in way of healing, so I kept wiping before I found any other characters. Such is life. I'll give speedcave a try tonight.
  Find

Status
None
It's not obvious, but you can also heal your party by returning to the airship.