Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Random battle theme

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(10-13-2018, 02:27 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 02:15 PM)Lightning Wrote: Well, the reason I have not expanded the ROM is out of fear it will no longer work on real hardware.

Well there are a bunch of 32Mb ROMs on the SNES as well as even 48Mb ROMs.

(10-13-2018, 02:15 PM)Lightning Wrote: Also, I just now read your final post in this thread (before I bumped it) about the world music not continuing where it left off after a battle.  This is actually a pretty bad side effect, so I think I might forget the random battle theme plan.

This is not what my hack is doing. The World map music not continuing where it stopped has to do with using one of the two "current music" bytes while the original post branch based on the battle music byte. Adding a branch based on the WoR event bit would be possible.

I see.  Well, I might consider expanding my ROM and see if it works on real hardware (I can experiment a bit).  It does bring up some questions though, like if the original save games will work, and if FF3USME will still load up.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-13-2018, 02:33 PM)Lightning Wrote: It does bring up some questions though, like if the original save games will work, and if FF3USME will still load up.

The srm file is a different file and is not related to ROM size so yes and FF3usME can expand the ROM so FF3usME will work.
  Find

Status
None
(10-13-2018, 02:52 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 02:33 PM)Lightning Wrote: It does bring up some questions though, like if the original save games will work, and if FF3USME will still load up.

The srm file is a different file and is not related to ROM size so yes and FF3usME can expand the ROM so FF3usME will work.

Good to know.

I just had a random thought, but am unsure how possible it is:  having an overworld battle theme based on the battle background (eg, deserts, grasslands, and forests play an overworld theme), and have the rest of the backgrounds play the default theme.  That would actually be far better than being stuck with the same theme throughout the whole first half and second half of the game.
  Find

Threads: 2
Status
Mental-Break
(09-02-2014, 07:19 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Data: Song indexes which need the current song to be paused then resumed - Evil Peer

C5/06F9: 24 (Battle, from C5/062B)
C5/06FA: 38 (Nighty Night)
C5/06FB: 14 (Decisive battle)
C5/06FC: 33 (Fierce battle)
C5/06FD: FF (Silence?)

Should also note here, since this is being looked at again, that I've found zero side effects of replacing 38 and FF in this table. Inns/tents still work as usual, even. NascentOrder uses five battle themes without any related asm hacks, just editing this table and the battle song table itself. The battle music high bit in formation ( $CF5903 $80 "continue current music") appears to work perfectly to produce that effect without need for one of the eight battle music slots, so both 6 and 7 can be safely replaced.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-13-2018, 03:20 PM)Lightning Wrote: I just had a random thought, but am unsure how possible it is:  having an overworld battle theme based on the battle background (eg, deserts, grasslands, and forests play an overworld theme), and have the rest of the backgrounds play the default theme.

Yes it is possible, it's not a much elaborated ASM hack. If it's the battle theme, you check the battle background ID ($11E2) and make as much CMPs as you want to check battle backgrounds and load the good song.
  Find

Status
None
(10-13-2018, 03:52 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 03:20 PM)Lightning Wrote: I just had a random thought, but am unsure how possible it is:  having an overworld battle theme based on the battle background (eg, deserts, grasslands, and forests play an overworld theme), and have the rest of the backgrounds play the default theme.

Yes it is possible, it's not a much elaborated ASM hack. If it's the battle theme, you check the battle background ID ($11E2) and make as much CMPs as you want to check battle backgrounds and load the good song.

Would it be asking too much if someone did a patch for a different music track to play on overworld backgrounds only? If the patch was an asm that pointed toward a free block of space that I can define, then I am confident I can import the music myself at that space (although I am a noob coder and will learn as I go)
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Done! I tested 2 backgrounds and it works.

Code:
hirom

org $C2BDB7
JSR free_space
NOP

org $C26469          ; change to free space
free_space:
LDA $C2BF3B,X
CMP #$24             ; check if battle song
BNE exit             ; branch if not
LDA $11E2            ; load battle background byte
AND #$3F             ; isolate battle background
BEQ is_wob_grass
CMP #$01
BEQ is_wob_forest
CMP #$02
BEQ is_desert
CMP #$03
BEQ is_wor_forest
CMP #$05
BEQ is_wor_grass
LDA #$15             ; default battle song ID
BRA exit
is_wob_grass:
LDA #$10             ; song ID
BRA exit
is_wob_forest:
LDA #$11             ; song ID
BRA exit
is_desert:
LDA #$12             ; song ID
BRA exit
is_wor_forest:
LDA #$13             ; song ID
BRA exit
is_wor_grass:
LDA #$14             ; song ID
BRA exit
exit:
RTS
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Lightning (10-13-2018)

Status
None
Did you seriously just now allow me to add different music to each of those backgrounds?? Man, you opened a can of worms here. I might just have to add more than one song now. Lol.

Seriously, thanks Madsiur. I will test this tonight. I will also be importing my very first song tonight, so we will see how that goes. I can't promise I won't have any questions! Tongue
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-13-2018, 11:45 PM)Lightning Wrote: Seriously, thanks Madsiur. I will test this tonight. I will also be importing my very first song tonight, so we will see how that goes.  I can't promise I won't have any questions!

My pleasure! Well if you have questions about song importing do it here.
  Find

Status
None
Is there a WOR desert background missing from this hack, or am I not seeing it? I only see one desert background listed, while there are actually two in the game.
  Find