FFVI - Children of Vector

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Introducing Final Fantasy VI - Children of Vector

What is FFVI - Children of Vector?
FF6-CoV is an extremely ambitious hack by B-Run (Edrin), with the help of many among the ff6hacking.com community. This hack is what I like to call a re-qiul, it's not a prequil nor a sequil, but is another plot taking part of the same story as the original FF6. This hack follows the events of Final Fantasy VI taken from point of view of Wedge and Vicks, as both insiders and outsiders to the game's main plot. It sets out to deepen the player's understanding of Magitek, the Empire, and the people involved by answering many open-ended questions left by the games original makers such as:
  • What happened to Wedge and Vicks after the encounter with Tritoch?
  • How does Magitek and Magitek Infusement work and were there other test subjects?
  • What's the deal with Sigfried/Zigfried?

What kinds of things can I expect to see in FF6-CoV?
Children of Vector will be hacked on pretty much every level: from characters, to events, to maps, to music, to battle mechanics... nothing is off limits! The game will be designed to look and feel like the original as much as possible but will not be restricted to all mechanics as they exist, meaning I will be writing brand new abilties and command mechanics to give the players a fresh experience of the game while allowing the knowledge they've gathered to continue being relevant.

FF6-CoV will also feature 99% brand new events, completely replacing the old events beyond the encounter with Tritoch. On top of that there will be new maps, expanded NPC animations, and custom music by William Kage, an extremely talented composer who specializes in SNES-era original compositions and game replica soundfonts.

Why should I be excited about Children of Vector?
When was the last time you played a hack of FF6 and didn't ultimately know what was going to happen? With a totally new event chain, you can experience the thrill of watching the story unfold from the edge of your seat like you did those 20 years ago when the game was originally released. On top of that, the custom environments and music will bring a new level of immersion to this hack.

How far along is the project and when can we expect to play it!?
Unfortunately, the hack is still in relatively early stages. While a fair portion of the background work is completed, there is still a lot of ASM work to do, sprites to make, and a TON of event making. But don't worry! I will continue to work on this and you can expect updates every so often. I will try to keep this thread updated with my progress as well. I don't expect there to be able to start alpha-testing the full game for likely 2 years, but perhaps I will be able to get a WoB playable demo ready before then.

Current Progress:
Sprites and Portraits
   40%
Music
   04%
Maps
   01%
Events
   02%
Battle Mechanics
   20%
Data and Pointer Expansions
   50%
Other ASM work
   40%
TOTAL ESTIMATED PROGRESS
   03%
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to B-Run for this post:
  • CoffeeCroww (06-14-2021), marcioseufi (07-05-2019), Robo Jesus (12-24-2017)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Wow, this looks nothing short of amazing so far! It reminds me of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead," but with FF6 instead of Hamlet. When this gets completed it will pretty much be a revolution in hacking this game, if what I see here continues. It will be awesome to play a hack where pretty much every detail is unexpected and new! Smile

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Wow! I want to play this so bad once it is finished!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Incredible A+ hack in the works here. You got mad skills bro! I'm very impressed.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Obliviscence
Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! The video is actually a little rougher around the edges than I would have liked, but I had been sitting stagnant on a couple things for too long and wanted to get this video out! The music from William Kage (WK) isn't actually imported to the game yet, I just turned off the music in the events and put the mp3 on top of the video >_<. But it WILL be in the game! I also misspelled my own custom weapon, the Blundra.

Since the idea that gave birth to this hack was the idea of answering open-ended questions about the original... do you guys have any things you always wondered about the world or story of Final Fantasy 6? I want to hear some fresh perspectives to give me inspiration for parts of the hack. Some things will be major, but many others will likely be something small and insignificant or even easter eggs... but I'd like to address as many things as possible. So ask away, and maybe you will get to see it in the finished game.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Thanks Given: 13
Status
None
Very impressive! I look forward for this :-)
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
OH YEAH! I finally see some action in the Personal Projects forum. I watched the video and read the OP. All this is totally awesome.

A first-see review: The sprites are very cool(except of Vick's portrait,I think it needs a little work I say). The enemy sprites were not different from the ones in the original game(exccepting the Necromacer, of course) but most looked good, but I don't really like Memory's palette. The events were so good, but i didn't expect the Ghosts joining you when I first saw them. I hope to see more updates very soon Smile

By the way, what will happen with the Iris Project if you are now working on this one, will you delay it?(I hope not)

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
(09-28-2013, 01:00 PM)Blue Mage Gab Wrote: A first-see review: The sprites are very cool(except of Vick's portrait,I think it needs a little work I say). The enemy sprites were not different from the ones in the original game(exccepting the Necromacer, of course) but most looked good, but I don't really like Memory's palette.

Vicks' portrait is actually my favorite, I feel like it most resembles a portrait from the actual game and stands out less (in my mind) when put side by side with them. Can you elaborate what seems off? Lorial's portrait is actually unfinished. I'm not partcularly happy with Memory's palette either, there weren't any unused ones that actually fit the sprite, but I have since learned that monster palettes are unique, so I can likely switch it up at a later time if I feel like it.

(09-28-2013, 01:00 PM)Blue Mage Gab Wrote: The events were so good, but i didn't expect the Ghosts joining you when I first saw them.

Neither did Vicks Wink

(09-28-2013, 01:00 PM)Blue Mage Gab Wrote: By the way, what will happen with the Iris Project if you are now working on this one, will you delay it?(I hope not)

I have been working on both side-by-side the whole time. I don't expect either to slow down. However, I will mention that I have lost a bunch of help with the ASM needs for the project and could definitely use a few extra hands. But since that's not on topic I won't elaborate on that here.
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I'm also happy that you didn't changed Vicks' name to Biggs(which actually happened in the later relases of FFVI). I personally prefer the name Vicks A LOT more than Biggs. It's just better. And for his portrait, I watched the video again and looked at both Vicks and Wedge's portraits and I can say I agree with you. Vicks' protrait is the best, the earlier review about the portrait was just a first-sight one...

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
very ambitious I like it a lot, its very interesting

I'd love to help out if if you want

other then that in a lot of ways its a lot like my forgotten warrior hack in a few aspects, but mine is sort of like a story within a story lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC