* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Special Ability Poll

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
We've got a lot of great ideas for Iris' abilities, but sadly, only 3 can move on to the final poll and only 1 will make it into the game... So here are your top 3 picks for the 15th Man's abilities:

Here's what we have for the 15th Man so far:

Name: Iris Havengard
Background (Click to View)
Theme Music
[Image: imgshk.png]
[Image: imgshk.png]
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
My vote goes to Malady. The ability is the most "creative" of them all. I really like Aether too but Malady seems more orginal than the other two.
I really don't want to influence anyone who originally wanted to vote for Aether but after he/she saw my post, she goes with Malady...

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that you don't want to "influence" anyone, but anyone in their right mind after reading what you have just said would pick "Malady" and would not pick "Aether". Is that what you are saying?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Influencing other's decisions is my favorite part of the ancient voting process. =)

I went with Fuse because I think it would be the most fun to use and practical ability, especially for that point in the game. And the ability name sounds the coolest out of the three imo.

I'm not sure what Malady means, but it kinda sounds/looks like "Milady" to me a bit. Honestly, while the skill is indeed very creative and great on paper, I'm not very fond of having to be under a status ailment in order to use a skill. The 'a' being italic. If it was a skillset with 3 or 4 unique spells for each ailment, then I might be tempted to choose this more. As it is I could see it becoming tedious.

Aether is cool, but I won't be voting for it since I have a skill in my hack called Aether and the idea is similar to this one mentioned here, except that it's still too much like Tools and does not branch... Besides that though, at that point in the game she might have to come with 3 or 4 Aether skills to make her useful, and that might take the fun out of finding them - this isn't a big issue, I'm sure there's creative ways around this.

I really do feel that Fuse would make the most sense for Iris, from having direct contact and experiments with Espers. She has a horn on the side of her head after all, so it's kinda fitting to have the skill lol. I can also envision a nice event there in the Magitek Lab (or wherever her major joining event takes place) where she fuses with an Esper and kicks some ass. Wink

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I think Malady is possibly the most creative on this list, but I just don't see it being balance-able. I'm okay with being under status effects to use the skills; we'd have to be very careful to strike a fine line between "not worth setting up for in random encounters" and "the boss fights become about setting Iris up and steamrolling the enemy". It would be tricky, but with so many minds at the task, I'd guess that particular issue could be overcome. My problem is this:

The ability cannot upgrade over the course of the game. All negative statuses are usable reasonably early on, which means the same moveset has to deal with endgame and earlygame battles. If you want an example of why this won't work, just look at Slots. Many people say Slots are a lame ability (barring manipulation), although if you look closely, when you get Setzer, 7-Flush and Chocobop (the two attacks you can always get) actually deal decent damage. As the game goes on though, these abilities quickly fall by the wayside, and most people don't use Setzer even as early as the WoR, unless they've raided Kefka's Tower for the Fixed Dice (using the Moogle Charm). I've heard people blame the luck-reliance, but to some extent I feel that is only covering up the real issue.

I see a very similar fate for Malady, as the attacks will either practically 2 hit KO earlygame bosses and deal competent damage in the WoR, or deal nice damage to WoB bosses but be entirely worthless past the Floating Continent. It would have been hard enough to balance, but this just compounds the difficulty.

With that in mind, I have to vote for Fuse. It is a creative idea, would work well with the game mechanics and fits the character well, so in my book it hits all the points. I also like that it would add a new thrill to getting new Espers, which is something I never quite cared about as much as the game intended (maybe because I usually do challenges where they're pretty much useless).

Aether is a neat ability, and probably easier to implement, but I just feel it isn't quite as "out of the box." For somebody creating a hack involving several new abilities being made, it would work wonderfully, but I feel with this we should go as crazy as possible.

Sorry if I sound like I'm being negative or anything with this post; I tend to explain negative sentiments more thoroughly because I feel the need to justify them as real problems and not just apathy or something.Sweat

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
my vote would have to go to fuse

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Obliviscence
Your points have a lot of merit Lockirby! If theres anyone that understands game-balancing, its you.

A few potential solutions for what you mentioned, though:
  • We haven't yet decided when we will get Iris, so scaling may be less of a factor
  • My original idea for the ability (which i never posted, which is my fault) involved having to learn the abilities by being afflicted by them over time, granting that natural progression you talk about.
  • Make utility-based abilities for curing/buffing party members or even debuffing enemies (perhaps through protection)
  • Add an additional damage multiplier based on any number of incremental criteria that can happen with/without the player having to be involved such as level, game progression, key items, or even GP.
  • Use percentage-based damage/healing
  • Make the ability an overcompensation for the affliction, essentially making it a best-option for her at the very least. Such as a never-miss attack for blindness, or a draining attack for poison, a double strike or even quick-granting ability for slow. Or a magic attack that self-cures Mute.
  • Upgrade the abilities over the course of the game (which in my mind is essentially a more deliberate and flashy version of adding an additional damage multiplier)

I don't tend to subscribe to the idea that any mechanic is simply broken and won't work, it's just a matter of figuring out how to make it fit what you need. Luckily, we have some really good ASM coders helping us with the project.

I really like the discussion guys, keep it up! I will seriously be happy with any of these abilities winning.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Ah, good ideas. I figured that the ability was somewhat set in stone in terms of following the description at this point, so that's why I didn't try thinking of a way around the problem. Then again, it's not like anything you said went against the description, just added to it. I would have mentioned some of my issues earlier (like I did for other abilities), but it took me until yesterday to actually put my finger on what was bothering me. Some of those solutions would reassure me plenty (I probably like the damage multiplier/attack upgrade ideas the best0:-)).

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Obliviscence
Please make sure you are logged into your username before you vote.
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
@Edrin: Maybe they wanted to vote and didn't want to make an account here. You can accept or deny their votes, choice is yours(no back-seat moding)

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find