None
how do i write this in asm format?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Another typically odd request here: I need some kind of a flag/check created (utilizing one of the unused bits in the monster formation data) to stop a monster formation of any kind from being able to warp away from.

The reason, as some of you may already know, is that for battles that utilize characters acting as monsters, like Kefka at the Sealed Gate for instance, they are not using the monster's data like a normal monster, just the battle script - so you cannot successfully set the Can't Run flag on them that prevents warp from happening... So, you can simply warp away from these exclusive battles. Finger

Another option that might be easier would be to just prevent warp/smoke bombs bit of the code from working on the flag that's set in the monster formation data: 'Can't run w/L+R, warp/smoke works'

I would be good with that, since there is no real good reason for it being there anyway...? But I'm not seeing where that's done though exactly, to just remove/change that.

Help is much appreciated!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
I usually solve those kind of situations, putting an invisible/untargettable/don't acting monster in the formation... (in this case with can't run property)
Of course, an ASM work is surely more elegant... Laugh

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
That's a good idea, but it won't work for me here with this particular battle, I have too many monsters in the formation so that if I add just one more (with the no run flag), it does not have an available mould and is shown on the screen with a weird palette. That, and also it is still allowing for warp even with a hidden monster with Can't Run flag set... I think maybe because it is a special event CAAM battle.

Status
Atma
I said invisible and not targetable, not hidden: an hidden monster is not counted at all, that's why can't run won't work.
Btw, you cannot even assign can't run property to one monster of the formation? the other 100% working solution would be to duplicate one of the monsters of the formation and make it identical, with the only difference that the copy will have the can't run flag checked, finally you'll use the copy in that battle, rather than the original monster.
PS the copy won't be a waste of space in the monster list, since if you were ready to use an invisible monster, then you have one free slot for the copy Wink

There could be another problem maybe: if the minions die, then you can run away... since the copy will appear just here, just add some line to the top of their code:

if var 0 >= 1 then
end if // the monster won't act anymore(dead)
// death check:
if monster is dead/hidden
make it appear with light and flashes*
add 1 to var 0 // if it's already used, use another var
monster becomes untargetable
end if

The monster won't fight anymore, it will seem dead and still ensure can't run property active.

* if the background(maybe one BG like esper bridge) will have a bad reaction to this like, then just assign to it the hidden status clear, instead.

What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Nah I really can't add Can't Run to any of the monster in the formation, I have 2 monsters that become regulars in the WoR fighting along with Kefka there, at the Sealed Gate battle - and even if I did like you say once they are killed off you can warp away then from Kefka... It's better than nothing, but I'd much rather have a flag enabled on the formation (or disable warp from the present flag) instead of replacing a monster to make an invis. copy, although it would be nice to have one like that to use for such things - but I need every monster spot to stay at this point.

That's a nice trick though with the battlescript, I'll keep it in mind! If I had an open monster spot to make a copy of it sounds like it would work.

Status
Atma
Yeah, i guess that flag would be more user-friendly...
Btw, even if you won't use it, if you set that death check to a can't run monster, then the player won't be able to escape, no matter what.

In the case of an original monster that will appear even later(with no run property), you just have to add, under "if monster is dead" check,
"if monster is in formation #(the number of the specific formation)"
that will make active this tricky code only in that formation, if you meet him in a random encounter, he will never trigger that...

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tenkarider for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (12-04-2014)

Status
Nattak\'d
Nevermind the last request, Madsiur took care of it for me on the side!
Here is the code in case anyone ever is in need of it. It will need you to set the 'unused bit in byte #0, bit 0' in the appropriate formation. It will stop Warp from working for that formation and still allow you to set the can't run with L&R/allow warp flag - very useful for event battles and/or ones that use character acting as monster.

Madsiur's Warp check:

Code:
org $C24054

JSR empty_space
NOP
NOP

org $C26490 ; change if needed to free space
empty_space:
LDA $3F44
BIT #$01
BNE exit
LDA #$02
STA $3A6E
RTS

exit:
STZ $A4
STZ $A5
LDA #$0A
STA $3401
RTS

Thank you Madsiur.

Status
Nattak\'d
On the off-chance one of you assembly folks could whip this up one up for me, a custom command that I would love to have is one that, once set, blocks the equipping/unequipping of certain character IDs weapon/shield in battle. And then I guess another command to allow it/clears it again for the character. Reason being I have a flashback sequence in my hack where 2 certain characters can have this happen to them, and then of course once the flashback ends it makes no since that they had their stuff removed from 3000 years in the past during a flashback and it's now in the inventory lol. I've thought of some alternative methods to preventing this, but I really do need them to have their properties remain the same, as opposed to using an unused properties that has the flag checked, and also be equippable in battle outside of this flashback, so a custom command would be great! It's not the funnest of requests I realize, but it would mean a lot and go a long ways for me, if it's not too much trouble of course.

Status
Atma
No, i don't have the answer Tongue
I didn't know that bothered you, or i'd let you know before about the fact you could do that with FuSoYa in his flashback with Golbez(don't have any idea of who's the other guy...)
Btw i must admit that this is one of the feature i'd really want to add to my hack too! I really don't know any other way to avoid to save a Paladin Shield from become a Cursed Shield, just removing it before the battle ends... Sad

Find