Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Graphics Gale

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
I'm going to assume that not many people are using Graphics Gale for spriting. Zeemis suggested I use it quite sometime ago as that's what he uses for sprite. I definitely find some aspects of it easier than the other sprite editors, but I almost always use it in conjunction with UsME or the Relm Editor.

I keep running into an error where when I work on something in graphics gale, save it and try to import it to usME6.7 and I get an error that says
"Adaptive filter for 4bpp/8bppbitmap not supported yet."

The file is saved as a .png
The default setting in graphics gale is 128x144x8 for the sprite sheet when I open it up in there.

any input on a solution to this would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
The error message is pretty self explanatory. You applied a filter to your image.

Just to be sure, I saved a original spritesheet in PNG format with Graphics Gale and imported it into FF3usME without problem. Then I applied a burring effect to the same image (Image -> Effects) and got the same error as you when I tried to import it again.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the reply!

I checked under images - effects and it was already at original. Just to be sure I selected original, tried to import and still got the same error. Any other suggestions?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-18-2013, 12:31 AM)ribbits Wrote: I checked under images - effects and it was already at original. Just to be sure I selected original, tried to import and still got the same error. Any other suggestions?

You can't revert an effect with that software I think. The problem is I think that your image ALREADY has an effect. If you used the same image as the first time it won't import properly.
  Find

Status
None
hmmm. The sprite I am editing, I have imported previously into FF3usMe. To double check, I imported it just now. Then I opened it in Graphics Gale and saved it under a different name. No editing, just saved it under a different name. Then I tried to import it and can't now.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
I'm gonna say this, if you want your sprite on the database it has to be exported from usme and usme only, anything else wont go up period

it can be excellent looking, have no flaws to it's design, and even be downright incredible

but the fact remains, that most of the time, if a sprite sheet is edited in something other then an FF3/6 related sprite editing tool (FF3SE, FF3USME, or FinalFantasy3SpriteEditor/Relm Editor), there is an extremely high probability that it wont come out correctly in the game (distortions, color mash-ups etc.), so regardless of the sprite itself, if you want it on the database then use those programs, if you just want to show us what you can do, then by all means use whatever you want lol

the reason why they are to be in these formats is because these sprites are meant to be put in the game, so they need to be able to be imported in the game right?

I have nothing against graphics gale, but I personally don't use it and don't recommend it for any spriter

but that's my opinion

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 15
Thanks Given: 11
Status
Mental-Break
yea ffse atma is how I edit my sprites. I like it since you can zoom in and out anytime. I also use ffusme to copy certain sprite parts to save time and to shift pixels for certain pose, oh and death/riding poses. But for some reason I dont like the relm one but thats my opinion. Try out ffse.. might grow on you as well Smile . Poco is right too.. other programs should be avoided as well cuz it could also switch palette order or cause distortions. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: editing monsters or espers is fine to use a paint shop program... But character sprites get messed up easy...
  Find

Status
None
thanks guys, i'll heed your wisdom and solely use the specific programs. Thanks!
  Find